Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2005 1:37:47 PM EDT
I just ordered mags from http://ammunitionstore.com/ and they are the 30 rounders i ordered 5.
These are them
Mags
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry to say this but they are probably going to be junk. When I say junk I mean they won't fit correctly or drop free. There also might be issues with feeding as well.

Please note that I'm using words like "probably" and "might" because I have never used those exact mags myself. However, unless you are buying genuine USGI mags, you are taking a chance as to whether they will work or not. If you buy genuine USGI mags, you will definitely get mags that will work and function correctly.

If I were you, I would cancel the order immediately then go to the EE here and find a dealer who's selling USGI mags.

BTW, since the AWB has sunset, many dealers are selling brand mags that are made by the contractors that make them for the military such as D&H and Labella.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
they are taiwan blued steel mags, i heard some people say these mags are really good
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they are taiwan blued steel mags, i heard some people say these mags are really good

Hopefully 13th Warrior will post an range report after he receives them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

However, unless you are buying genuine USGI mags, you are taking a chance as to whether they will work or not. If you buy genuine USGI mags, you will definitely get mags that will work and function correctly.

This can't be stressed enough.  It's going to be a gamble wether or not they work properly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If they're the blue steel Taiwan Type 56 mags they are great. I got about 7 of them to test. I had to replace the followers with USGI green  as the originals weren't locking my bolt back. Otherwise they feed great, drop free, no problems at all. In fact, they've become my favorite beater mags. For the price they're a great deal.
If I understand correctly they are made on GI tooling, but I'm not 100% on that. Get some green followers and enjoy your purchase.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just ordered mags from http://ammunitionstore.com/ and they are the 30 rounders i ordered 5.
These are them
Mags

Oh Gees, you know, it's amazing to me how someone will pay $600 to $1200 for a rifle will try to economize on mags and/or ammo.  It's not like US Contract GI-MILSpec mags can't be had for $15 to $20 a pop since the AWB expired.

13thW, I really hope they work out for you but I'm not gunna hold my breath.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
These are them
Mags

I've only ever used a Taiwan made mag one time and it didnt fit my Oly CAR97-M4. Oly lowers are known to be a little tight so maybe you might have better luck with your lower.

I only use USGI spec mags with some SA80 mags thrown in for diversity. Average price is like 15 bucks these days
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait a second. I thought when the mag is dry the bolt is sapose to lock back? I wouldn't be so sure about doughting they are good or bad but i heard here that model1sales.com sucked and it turned out to be one of the best things ever. Well not best but better then u guys make it out to be.
I think these mags are military contract. Well it says they are If any military has a contract and is buying these mags there must be a reason besides how cheap they are.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Words are slung to no end within advertisements.
Military contract means nothing. Who’s military contract anyway? Not ours.
As far as I know we do not buy our weapons or there relative equipment and accessories from Taiwan. USGI Mags are not steel!

This does not mean that they won’t function well. I have two cheap steel mags and they work just fine.        
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not heard anything bad about these mags yet.  They were made with Colt tooling, but are steel instead of aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wait a second. I thought when the mag is dry the bolt is sapose to lock back? I wouldn't be so sure about doughting they are good or bad but i heard here that model1sales.com sucked and it turned out to be one of the best things ever. Well not best but better then u guys make it out to be.
I think these mags are military contract. Well it says they are If any military has a contract and is buying these mags there must be a reason besides how cheap they are.

Just make sure to post a range report.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]
ahhh i will tell you how they work. I guess steal isn't better if i knew all this before i ordered i would havn't risked it but i dont fell like spenind 6 dollars more a mag.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
The real question is why did you ask if they are good mags after you bought them instead of before?

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a range report for you:

Tactical Response Carbine class - 1000 rounds Winchester White box, mags dropped in dry sand, wet sand, and rained on. No problems with the off shore mags (with green followers). I had a Thermold and an Orlite choke.

NYS Rifle Match - 450 rounds, muddy. No problems with offshore mags, USGI mag choked.

LIPSA Tactical Rifle Match - 220 rounds, wet sand no issues

5 other local 3-gun matches, lets say 250 rounds no issues.

So that's almost 2000 rounds run through about 5 different AR's, not a single feeding issue in less than optimal conditions. Mags were loaded to 28 rounds only to seat properly with closed bolt, as are my USGI.

Stock follower operates hold open in some rifles, not mine, and are equivalent of GI black follower. These guys make the M14 mags that are the only ones that work as well as USGI.

As far as why someone would try to save a few bucks, it dosn't always come down to that. We're having problems with dealers shipping hi-caps to NY, even if they are pre-94 which are legal here. These I've been able to get and I plan on getting 10 more to go with my 50 USGI. These are way better than the SA80 parked mags that came through, and cheaper too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]
why would u not want your bolt to stay open when the mag is dry?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's a range report for you:

Tactical Response Carbine class - 1000 rounds Winchester White box, mags dropped in dry sand, wet sand, and rained on. No problems with the off shore mags (with green followers). I had a Thermold and an Orlite choke.

NYS Rifle Match - 450 rounds, muddy. No problems with offshore mags, USGI mag choked.

LIPSA Tactical Rifle Match - 220 rounds, wet sand no issues

5 other local 3-gun matches, lets say 250 rounds no issues.

So that's almost 2000 rounds run through about 5 different AR's, not a single feeding issue in less than optimal conditions. Mags were loaded to 28 rounds only to seat properly with closed bolt, as are my USGI.

Stock follower operates hold open in some rifles, not mine, and are equivalent of GI black follower. These guys make the M14 mags that are the only ones that work as well as USGI.

As far as why someone would try to save a few bucks, it dosn't always come down to that. We're having problems with dealers shipping hi-caps to NY, even if they are pre-94 which are legal here. These I've been able to get and I plan on getting 10 more to go with my 50 USGI. These are way better than the SA80 parked mags that came through, and cheaper too.

Might be worth a shot then.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
You want the follower to lock the bolt back, which is why I suggested replacing them with the new USGI style green follower. In some guns the stock Taiwan hold open works, just not in any of the ones I own. Some guys I shoot with haven't had a problem and aren't swapping out the follower, theirs lock back. I have a bag of green followers I got on the EE 4 years ago that I'm still going through so it was no biggie for me.

I just packed for my 3-gun match this weekend, and the mags I threw in the gear bag are all Taiwan military with green followers and old style magpuls. They have my full confidence.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
These are them
Mags

Ugh.

I would not use them for anything but range mags, if that, even.

Get some new USGI mags. eaglefirearms.net has them cheap, so do a lot of other vendors on this board.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#20]
i got the mags yesterday. I took 1 apart today. They are a pain to take apart i needed to bend the plate on the bottom. I bent it back before i put it back on. Do i need to clean the mags like i would clean my gun because they are steel? What i mean is do i need to clean em woth hoppes number 9.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I would not clean them unless impedes function. Other wise you will be replacing floorplates often.
I use soap and water, dry thoroughly. I you use a wet lube or one that leaves residue, can attract dust and grit, that is not good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm sorry to say this but they are probably going to be junk. When I say junk I mean they won't fit correctly or drop free. There also might be issues with feeding as well.

Please note that I'm using words like "probably" and "might" because I have never used those exact mags myself. However, unless you are buying genuine USGI mags, you are taking a chance as to whether they will work or not. If you buy genuine USGI mags, you will definitely get mags that will work and function correctly.

If I were you, I would cancel the order immediately then go to the EE here and find a dealer who's selling USGI mags.

BTW, since the AWB has sunset, many dealers are selling brand mags that are made by the contractors that make them for the military such as D&H and Labella.

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#24]
The only thing that makes steel mags attractable is that they are more durable than aluminium mags that were designed to be disposable.

I like the Idea, and WANT more steel mags, but they seem to be it or miss with the mag catch hole. Especially in my Singapore mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The only thing that makes steel mags attractable is that they are more durable than aluminium mags that were designed to be disposable.

I like the Idea, and WANT more steel mags, but they seem to be it or miss with the mag catch hole. Especially in my Singapore mags.

Ok i tested the mags i got and they work great they don't miss any holes. I don't think i will waste my money on anything else. (maybe a beta-C) But thats it Buying a beta C is still a waste what the fuck will i use that for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
for that price i would have bought some d&h teflon usgi mags from rustytx in the ee.

he has the 20's for $11.50 ea.

you would have gotten some really nice mags and supported a site dealer at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
for that price i would have bought some d&h teflon usgi mags from rustytx in the ee.

you would have gotten some really nice mags and supported a site dealer at the same time.

SUN OF A BITCH. Those are nice only if i knew sooner.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

should have did your homework before whipping out the plastic

i plan on ordering a few just cause the price is so good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im gonna put about 5 of em on christmass list. But im buying a .50 uper so its just those mags and the 37mm flare and im done with that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I will say that the steel Imperial Defense mags that I bought (and replaced the followers with Magpul's) are the absolute toughest, most reliable mags I own.  Lots of aluminum mags bite the dust around here (bent feed lips), but these take it a little better.  Doesn't seem like the lighter weight overtakes the durability in my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I use the gray brit or grey singapore mags both made by charter industries,little heavy but tougher than GI aluminum and havent had any problems from 26 mags with well over 6000 rounds run through.Half are green follower the other half maggpull.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I will say that the steel Imperial Defense mags that I bought (and replaced the followers with Magpul's) are the absolute toughest, most reliable mags I own.  Lots of aluminum mags bite the dust around here (bent feed lips), but these take it a little better.  Doesn't seem like the lighter weight overtakes the durability in my eyes.

I have some of those and they are reliable but I think the springs are a bit weak since they don't always lock back on the last round. My USGI and Colt mags always do. This with XM193.

They were OK for $11 during the ban, but now that new USGIs are available for $14, I think I will try to sell them on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im gonna put about 5 of em on christmass list. But im buying a .50 uper so its just those mags and the 37mm flare and im done with that rifle.

Have you priced these 37mm flares? Quite expensive. A friend bought one of these and put it on his carbine. Very heavy, and mostly useless unless you plan on launching a lot of flares. Maybe on the 4th of July. Better of buying a $40 flare gun that uses a standard size nautical flare and a lot of quality mags and ammo. But I'll bet you want it because it looks like an M203. Seems like a waste of money to me, but if that floats your boat....it's your money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top