User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2005 8:47:45 PM EDT
Weapon: RRA M4gery w/ SIR & Aimpoint.
Ammo: Q3131A

My sister's father-in-law grandpa Dinh hunted w/ me at  Langley Ranch. We arrived at the ranch @ 8am, 90deg, we stalked along creek bed, vegetations, and brush thickets.

AR15KitKat AAR:
While searching & stalking the vegetations & brush, we spotted a very huge feral boar using some thickets for cover to keep cool. At 15yards, only frontal shot exposed, the boar had an aggressive stance ready to charge. I double tapped the boar's skull, he dropped, trying to get up to charge or convulsing, I was not about to see if this boar had the energy to withstand 2 rounds to the forehead.
Dinh started to head for the trees. I gave it 4 more quick double taps to the head & neck zone, all this happened in a few seconds all while the boar convulsed, it shooked lots of dirt in the air. This huge boar was dead, it had 2" thick armor plates on its shoulders and 6" cutters, and it weighed @ about 700# using weight meter attached to a backhoe. All the bullets penetrated skull and neck area, fragmented in the throat & boiler area.

Texas's own Hog-Zilla

Some bullets found: Most frag. to small pieces, but these frag. at cannulure points only or just bent & flattened from yawing, I assumed these penetrated the skull and slowed down below frag. velocity.

My hunting hat for the Liberal hippies.

Granpa Dinh's AAR:
while stalking near creek bed, we saw a pack of boars inthe 50-250# bedded in thick vegetations, but they took off when we were within 20yards. Dinh spotted a #130 blonde boar at an incline @ 15yards, he aimed @ the head, and Boom. The boar squealed, dropped and rolled down toward
us. Dinh started celebrating, but I told Dinh to "tap it again, tap it again", but he continued his celebration.
The boar got up and started trotting away and Dinh watched in surprise, and shocked, it wasn't second nature nor instinctive for him to tap the boar again. The bullet missed the head but it struck the snout, penetrated the jaws and glazed the right shoulder.

Took us a couple hours to track & find the boar again w/ the pack, @ 20yards, Dinh let the opportunity to finish his boar, he did not shoot and the boar was out of sight. I asked why he didn't shoot, he said the boar was not standing still. I told if he had a chance to shoot the boar, he can't afford to wait for a stationary shot but shoot it on a trot if neccessary.

After a couple of more hours of searching, we spotted the blonde boar again,@ 20 yards, this time the boar was tired, stood still for a moment, Boom, the boar dropped, but tried to get up again. I had to keep telling Dinh to hit it again, it took 3 more shots to anchor the boar. All the shots were non CNS shots, I joked to Dinh shooting at a "hardy moving animal is much harder than punching paper targets isn't it?".

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats crazy! That thing is huge! Are they particularly well suited to live in the wild? Do they have any natural predators?

Congrats BTW!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
OMG that is one big pig.  Makes me nuts suck up tight thinking about 700# of charging rino bacon.

got to get to Texas...no good edibles on a groundsquirrel.

-bloodninja
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Man that thing is ugly. Your hunting posts are a lot of fun, any videos this time around?

ETA is grandpa dinh using your rifle?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Weapon: RRA M4gery
Ammo: Q3131A

My sister's father-in-law grandpa Dinh hunted w/ me at  Langley Ranch. We arrived at the ranch @ 8am, 90deg, we're stalked along creek bed, vegetations, and brush thickets.

AR15KitKat AAR:
While searching & stalking the vegetations & brush, we spotted a very huge feral boar using some thickets for cover to keep cool. At 15yards, only frontal shot exposed, the boar had an aggressive stance ready to charge. I double tapped the boar's skull, he dropped, trying to get up to charge or convulsing, I was not about to see if this boar had the energy to withstand 2 rounds to the forehead.
Dinh started to head for the trees. I gave it 4 more quick double taps to the head & neck zone, all this happened in a few seconds all while the boar convulsed, it shooked lots of dirt in the air. This huge boar was dead, it had 2" thick armor plates on its shoulders and 6" cutters, and it weighed @ about 700# using weight meter attached to a backhoe. All the bullets penetrated skull and neck area, fragmented in the throat & boiler area.

Texas's own Hog-Zilla href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/a.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/b.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/c.jpg

My hunting hat for the Liberal hippies.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/d.jpg

Granpa Dinh's AAR:
while stalking near creek bed, we saw a pack of boars inthe 50-250# bedded in thick vegetations, but they took off when we were within 20yards. Dinh spotted a #130 blonde boar at an incline @ 15yards, he aimed @ the head, and Boom. The boar squealed, dropped and rolled down toward
us. Dinh started celebrating, but I told Dinh to "tap it again, tap it again", but he continued his celebration.
The boar got up and started trotting away and Dinh watched in surprise, and shocked, it wasn't second nature nor instinctive for him to tap the boar again. The bullet missed the head but it struck the snout, penetrated the jaws and glazed the right shoulder.

Took us a couple hours to track & find the boar again w/ the pack, @ 20yards, Dinh let the opportunity to finish his boar, he did not shoot and the boar was out of sight. I asked why he didn't shoot, he said the boar was not standing still. I told if he had a chance to shoot the boar, he can't afford to wait for a stationary shot but shoot it on a trot if neccessary.

After a couple of more hours of searching, we spotted the blonde boar again,@ 20 yards, this time the boar was tired, stood still for a moment, Boom, the boar dropped, but tried to get up again. I had to keep telling Dinh to hit it again, it took 3 more shots to anchor the boar. All the shots were non CNS shots, I joked to Dinh shooting at a "hardy moving animal is much harder than punching paper targets isn't it?".

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/e.jpg

Nice pig!!! Thanks for sharing.

How tall are you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck of a lot bigger than the javalina near my house! Don't know why I thought  boars were smaller than that....
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
there is a outline shadow of a pig head above its front legs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Would you use differant wieght bullets next time that A4 must have a quick rate of twist . Did the 55grn. give you a warm fuzzy ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't mean to bust your buzz but we kill the same size pigs with .22 LR during slaughter.  One shot is all it takes when placed correctly.

But I know the thrill of the hunt can make the best shot a complete melvin.  

Wild hogs that size are best caught in live traps and "domesticated" for 6 months prior to slaughter.  The best wild hogs for the table are the under 125 pound class.  These make excellent BBQ picnics with minimal cure.  It is halfway between ham and BBQ.  Use Morton Salt Cure with lots of pepper for 3-5 days in the refrigerator, no smoke and then slow BBQ.  Leave the skin on, using boiling water and a paint scraper to slip the bristles.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Kitty, I love how you PROVE that the fragmenting 556 is not just a "mouse gun"!

Nice kill!

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
WOW!!! That's incredible.Are you gonna eat that thing?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
man thats a big stinker!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't mean to bust your buzz but we kill the same size pigs with .22 LR during slaughter.  One shot is all it takes when placed correctly.

I agree, 1 round of 22lr. to the ear canal will put any boar down, but how fast? A slaughter situation is controlled environment, would you pop this boar @ 15yards w/ 1 round of 22lr and stand in front of it to see how he would react?  I can't afford to have this boar get on his feet again for a charge after the initial double tap, I tapped until it stopped stwitching. This happened within matter of seconds.

SteveOh:
Dinh was my video man, 1st double tap, he was heading for trees, he didn't even get the 1st intial shot of boar on video  I need video man w/ more balls and stay with me!
GP Dinh was using my carbine, he has experiences w/ M16 during VN war, but this is 1st hog hunt. He's already asked me to help him pick his 1st AR15, and he's wants to be on next hunt also. I am going to persuade him towards the DPMS .308 AP4 since Dinh is not a great shooter, more room for error

RockLock:
I wanted to use heavier weights like 69gr, but did not have the time to test accuracy & reliablility before the hunt, so I stayed w/ my reliable Q3131A.

Tol1488:
For perspective, I am 5'5", my guesstimate the boar was about >= 7.5' long.

ChewB:
Some rounds did not frag. but were bent, I assumed they entered the thick frontal skull, and slowed down the vel., so the bullets were under frag. range, but found many others frag. at canulure points.  I'll post pics of bullets tonite.

DaddyF:
Yes we're gonna eat it, my friend (non-hunter) paid for this hunt so his family would have a big  barbeque, they were expecting a 200-300# boar.
Any mature boar >200#, needs to be killed very quickly, and castrated ASAP, then you don't have the NUT smell in your meat. When a boar is under stressed, its pumping testoterone throughout its blood system, that the reason, once it's hurt, its heart must stop beating asap. All previous boars in range of 300-400# were killed quicly & castrated, the meat were just fine. This is the reason why I ALWAYS kill my game as fast as humanly possible.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Langley Ranch lists their rules for hunting there.  I notice one of them says no FMJ.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Langley Ranch lists their rules for hunting there.  I notice one of them says no FMJ.

Yes, Joe was being extra safe for inexperienced hunters might make bad shots issues and backstop issues. I've discussed with Joe in details regarding this issue, he had no problems w/ me using fmj due to my experiences w/ hog hunting.  He knows I will NEVER make a shot w/o knowing my backstop, and I am pretty accurate too    

The stories he has of hunters not timing their shots correctly and accidentally hitting multiple hogs w/ 1 bullet when hogs are in pack, though not a bad thing if it was purposeful, but when accidental, the non-intended  2nd target will always never be fatally injured, and many hunters have missed their targets completely

Example, granpa Dinh was very nervous when hogs were trotting in packs, he did NOT have the confidence to shoot. He wanted a stationary solitary hog
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Now THAT'S a good day!  Kudos to you AR15KittyKat for yet another great, informative hunt post!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Now THAT'S a good day!  Kudos to you AR15KittyKat for yet another great, informative hunt post!

Thank you gents, love to share my info., and I enjoy learning others' hunt experiences also.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome,

I have just returned from the Ranch filling feeders and hope to harvest some Feral Hogs soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you sure that's not a bar hog?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Are you sure that's not a bar hog?

You don't see balls?     No balls in pics cause they aren't there anymore.

As soon as I was done tapping the boar and it stopped twitching, Joe jumped right in and castrated it in the field, Dinh said that's top quality service on Joe's part. The balls were as big as my head
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Wowza!  Now that's a porker!!!!

I approve of killing ugly mammals.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Lot of chitlins
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Must have for true Texans, hog taxi

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn!

That is an awesome kill! I hope that you are going to skin it, clean it and throw it on a cooker for a hell of a BBQ!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh man, I would love to have that fat bastard's skull sitting on my shelf.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wild hogs that size are best caught in live traps and "domesticated" for 6 months prior to slaughter.  The best wild hogs for the table are the under 125 pound class.  These make excellent BBQ picnics with minimal cure.  It is halfway between ham and BBQ.  Use Morton Salt Cure with lots of pepper for 3-5 days in the refrigerator, no smoke and then slow BBQ.  Leave the skin on, using boiling water and a paint scraper to slip the bristles.

Finally......someone that knows how do a pig right
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Joe is doing a European mount for me, only skull & teeth, but there's a bunch of holes on that skull, I am fine with the holes.  The head is sitting on an ant mound right now, and the ants will clean the meat & skin off in a couple of weeks.  

Loadbearing:
We have 4 coolers full of bacon from this boar, and gave some to Dinh cause I ran out of room.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell I'd run the camera for you, no sweat! I'd just have to practice my camera to AR transitions just in case you miss. On second thought I'd bring my Bushmaster 308 !!!!

-sc
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#28]
damn...that is the biggest damn pig i have ever seen
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
bacon
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe is doing a European mount for me, only skull & teeth, but there's a bunch of holes on that skull, I am fine with the holes.  The head is sitting on an ant mound right now, and the ants will clean the meat & skin off in a couple of weeks.  

Loadbearing:
We have 4 coolers full of bacon from this boar, and gave some to Dinh cause I ran out of room.

My dad found a cow that someone shot in the head like eight times.  He took the skull, ceaned it up, and then covered the entire thing in polished rocks.  I've got it hanging on my wall now, and I must say, it came out pretty damn good.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#32]
nice pig
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
you know, I am not a hunter, in fact I am a vegetarian!!! But I admit, I look at all your posts kittykat. Your hunts are pretty impressive.

I'll be the first to say it, "turn in your man card please"  I'm just teasing you.  To each his own.  Have you ever had fresh venison, fried in butter with a little garlic and onions?.  Golly.  Taint much better food on this earth than that.  Well I guess I'll stop now, because you seem like a nice guy and I don't want you to get mad at me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

There's always gotta be one wise guy in his posts.  He's an expert Hog killer.  I doubt you busted his buzz with your all encompassing wisdom of killing hogs.

AR15KittyKat, I wonder if this is like a record for Q3131A.???  700 hundred pounds?   Wow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's always gotta be one wise guy in his posts.  He's an expert Hog killer.  I doubt you busted his buzz with your all encompassing wisdom of killing hogs.

AR15KittyKat, I wonder if this is like a record for Q3131A.???  700 hundred pounds?   Wow.

Doesn't bother me a bit, there's an expert in every field, and CONTROLLED SAFE environment slaughter house hog zapper I am NOT.

Thanks, and this is the largest boar I've taken in 15years of hunting period. This is also the largest boar taken at Langley Ranch to date.

SalaciousScrum:
I haven't found video guy that has NOT jumped on the shot even wearing ear plugs  or ran for trees when a boar starts to charge, what they don't trust the take down power of the Q3131A

NewARGuy:
Maybe a couple of more hunt posts, you'll be eating bacon in no time

Thanks for the comps gents.

Picture update:
New detailed picture of some bullets found in boar in original post.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I've gor a friend here who is heavy into shark fishing...

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack. Im just impressed at what skilled people can accomplish. Good thread.

Thank you sir, funny you bring up fishing, my brother took me fishing on his nice boat once, fishing was too boring for me, NO shooting , I can't shoot fish ?  

I know any sportmans who enjoys hunting as much as I should enjoy fishing too.  I took him hog hunting once, after seeing a boar squealed for a couple of seconds, and how graphic a boar reacts to bullets, he became NON hunter for life
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Must have for true Texans, hog taxi

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/HogbackHoe.jpg

Holy shit!  That is a huge pig.  (That's interesting about New-Arguy being a vegetarian.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Man, I love these hunting threads of yours. Not a hunter myself but you keep it up and I will be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'll retain my man card thank you. kittykat, you can take all my meat, I wont be eating anything. Its been more than 16 years since I had any, and I wont be changing anything any time soon. But you enjoy, Im not all weirded out by people hunting or eating meat. Its just not for me.

I've gor a friend here who is heavy into shark fishing. Im no fisherman and dont eat fish either, but I am just as impressed with the size of the sharks he has caught and contests he's won. One time, he was on a 4 person boat and the boat is only allowed to win 1st and 2nd place. If they were allowed to win 3rd, they would have. As it is, their third largest shark that would have won 3rd place could have fit the the shark that officially won 3rd place in its mouth. The 1st and 2nd place sharks were giant.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack. Im just impressed at what skilled people can accomplish. Good thread.

Not saying I can blame you. That pig is f***ing disgusting.

AR15KittyKat - Yeah next time you need to bring along an ar15.com-er to video. That would be awesome to watch. And I am impressed you have that much discipline. Man, if I was hunting something as huge as that monster I would probably empty the magazine, just out of adrenaline.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yeah, five double taps to stop it completely.  Some powerful ammo.

One shot to the head with a 160 grain round nose bullet going 2500 fps out of my 6.5X55 Mannlicher carbine and it would be lights out for Porky.  I'd bet he'd drop on all fours and not even twitch.

The penetrating and expanding power of long, heavy bullets at moderate velocities kills all out of proportion to their paper ballistics.

Still, nice hunt KittyKat.  I always enjoy your AARs, even if my weapon of choice is different.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've gor a friend here who is heavy into shark fishing...

Thank you sir, funny you bring up fishing, my brother took me fishing on his nice boat once, fishing was too boring for me, NO shooting , I can't shoot fish ?  

I know any sportmans who enjoys hunting as much as I should enjoy fishing too.  I took him hog hunting once, after seeing a boar squealed for a couple of seconds, and how graphic a boar reacts to bullets, he became NON hunter for life

Cool thread, and agreed about the fishing thing.  Fishing is to quite, no loud noises and flashes.  Think I could get into fishing with dynamite though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, five double taps to stop it completely.  Some powerful ammo.

One shot to the head with a 160 grain round nose bullet going 2500 fps out of my 6.5X55 Mannlicher carbine and it would be lights out for Porky.  I'd bet he'd drop on all fours and not even twitch.

The penetrating and expanding power of long, heavy bullets at moderate velocities kills all out of proportion to their paper ballistics.

www.hornady.com/shop/shop_image/product/2640_rif_bul_6.5MM-160_RN_I.jpg

Still, nice hunt KittyKat.  I always enjoy your AARs, even if my weapon of choice is different.
www.cz-usa.com/images/products/17.jpg

You'd better hope so, cuz you probably only get one shot off with that thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Thats a big pig!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
... I am impressed you have that much discipline. Man, if I was hunting something as huge as that monster I would probably empty the magazine, just out of adrenaline.

Well, my friend paid for the hunt & meat, and I wanted to do a European mount on any large boars
(already have a 400# shoulder mount boar, too expensive), so I tapped as much as required for it to stop twitching, though I REALLY wanted to empty the mag, and grab another mag in the backpack and empty that too, now that would have been more fun for me.

SWODaddy:
What's the fun in just one shot, I have hunted & still do w/ .308Win bolt action when required for 15years, it's no fun compared to the carbine, maybe I am more of a shooter than a hunter, I just love the double & triple taps period.  Heck, if  I hunted w/ an .308 AR, I'll still double & triple tap out of intinct, and training, then there goes my meat.

I disagree that twitching is not the same as complete stop, I've shot a 90# doe @ head, head blown off, but it still twitched for about 5 seconds after I got on scene. This boar stopped twitching in a matter of seconds, and  Joe is not going to jump in there & castrate while this 700# boar is still twitching.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Think I could get into fishing with dynamite though.

You mean there's another method, besides dynamite?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you know, I am not a hunter, in fact I am a vegetarian!!! But I admit, I look at all your posts kittykat. Your hunts are pretty impressive.

I'll be the first to say it, "turn in your man card please"  I'm just teasing you.  To each his own.  Have you ever had fresh venison, fried in butter with a little garlic and onions?.  Golly.  Taint much better food on this earth than that.  Well I guess I'll stop now, because you seem like a nice guy and I don't want you to get mad at me. hr

+1    I laughed so damn hard at that I almost passed out  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Try shooting one with a stick and string.  You only get one shot!  Now that is a challenge
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Try shooting one with a stick and string.  You only get one shot!  Now that is a challenge

to me thats just plain insane and dumb!  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top