Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2005 11:59:12 AM EDT
This is kind of a dupe topic, I know there's a similiar one listed in the build it yourself header.  but here it goes anyway.
Pros and cons of chrome bolt carriers, pros and cons of chrome bolts.  What is the best way to go?  Or just go with the standard carrier and bolt? How many guys have actually seen any type of failures with the chromed bolts and/or carriers? Or maybe the guys that are building and selling the gear could give us some insight on this subject. Are they more brittle? Do they break?
I'm interested in getting one, but if it isn't going to be 100% reliable then I don't want to get in a jam with it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a DPMS Classic A2 that came with their chromed carrier but with a parkerized bolt. Initially I had short-stroking issues, had to send it back to DPMS who "worked on the gas system". It seemed to function OK after that, but the brass was always going to 5 o'clock and into the next Zip code, which became a real problem at my range.

I noticed the cam pin metal was taking a real beating just under the cap, and began to suspect that the cam race in the carrier wasn't properly cut, since the bolt movement in the carrier did not seem fluid at all. I bought a parkerized carrier from Delton and used the original bolt, and that seemed to do the trick. Brass now ejects anywhere from 2 to 3 o'clock, depending on how hot the ammo is (mil vs commercial), the replacement carrier seems to move easier in the upper than the chromed one did, such as when manually locking the bolt back with the charging handle and bolt lock, and hand movement of the bolt back and forth inside the carrier is much smoother.

It's possible the chromed carrier was both slightly overspec due to the plating and had a rough cam race cut, both of which may have slowed the bolt timing down and caused my original short stroking. I never went back to DPMS about it, just happy to have it functioning well, and I keep the chromed carrier as a backup, since I know the rifle will function with it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What is the best way to go?  Or just go with the standard carrier and bolt?

There seem to be more complaints about rough machining with the chrome BC assembly around here.  Between the extra cost, and the old complaints of chrome flaking, compounded with the machining complaints, I stay with standard versions.  Unless I was working on a build that needed a chrome carrier to be period correct, I would be with a park'd piece.

I should add that the past few years (or more), there have not been any complaints that I have heard of regarding chrome peeling of chipping off of carriers or bolts.  I would guess that the chrome poorly machined pieces are also the same ones that are parkerized and rough as well.  

There are a few guys here who run chrome, and they should be able to add more comments based off actual time with those weapons, and having fired numerous rounds through them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the only draw backs to the AR-15 system is the direct gas impingement that "sh!ts where it eats", meaning the BCG is subject to fouling.  IMHO, the chrome BCG is just a way to make clean up a little easier; I don't believe that a chrome BCG is any more / less prone to failure than the standard.

If you don't like the chrome, there are other options.  JP makes a stainless carrier, and you can always have ROBAR NP3 coat your BCG.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I like the idea of the easier cleaning aspect of it, and I guess I was interested in the corrosion resistance a bit more (I know, regular proper cleaning and lubrication is key).  The Robar NP3 option slipped my mind, good idea but what will those guys charge to do that job; nice stuff though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I like the idea of the easier cleaning aspect of it, and I guess I was interested in the corrosion resistance a bit more (I know, regular proper cleaning and lubrication is key).  The Robar NP3 option slipped my mind, good idea but what will those guys charge to do that job; nice stuff though.

Price for the NP3 is $120

They're coating one of my BCG as we speak.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I like chrome BCG. Easy to clean, smooth cycling. At some point I intend to pick up a JP stainless BCG

Or a Les Baer chrome BCG which I recall is actually made by someone else and can be found cheaper under a different brand
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
At some point I intend to pick up a JP stainless BCG
www.jprifles.com/photos/JPBC-2s.jpg

I also have one of these on the way from Brownells.  I had it back-ordered before the price increase.  I'm thinking that the NP3 bolt and the JP SS bolt carrier might be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Also the chrome makes it easier to see where it is dirty when you go to clean it, and yes the carbon does wipe right of pretty easily.

My Young National match bc is chrome and nice, my DPMS chrome is kinda tight and the bolt does not move very well in it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Any advantages of a Young, or Ameetec, or JP over each other?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS Classic A2 that came with their chromed carrier but with a parkerized bolt. Initially I had short-stroking issues, had to send it back to DPMS who "worked on the gas system". It seemed to function OK after that, but the brass was always going to 5 o'clock and into the next Zip code, which became a real problem at my range.

I noticed the cam pin metal was taking a real beating just under the cap, and began to suspect that the cam race in the carrier wasn't properly cut, since the bolt movement in the carrier did not seem fluid at all. I bought a parkerized carrier from Delton and used the original bolt, and that seemed to do the trick. Brass now ejects anywhere from 2 to 3 o'clock, depending on how hot the ammo is (mil vs commercial), the replacement carrier seems to move easier in the upper than the chromed one did, such as when manually locking the bolt back with the charging handle and bolt lock, and hand movement of the bolt back and forth inside the carrier is much smoother.

It's possible the chromed carrier was both slightly overspec due to the plating and had a rough cam race cut, both of which may have slowed the bolt timing down and caused my original short stroking. I never went back to DPMS about it, just happy to have it functioning well, and I keep the chromed carrier as a backup, since I know the rifle will function with it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a problem with my DPMS chrome carrier also. The firing retaining pin was taking a beaten. It was also hard to remove and insert during cleaning. My Delton BCG is fine as is my CMT BCG, the retaing pin is very easy to remove.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a problem with my DPMS chrome carrier also. The firing retaining pin was taking a beaten. It was also hard to remove and insert during cleaning. My Delton BCG is fine as is my CMT BCG, the retaing pin is very easy to remove.

Roger. What a difference a silly little millimeter can make!
I put a new cam pin in the bolt with the Delton BC, and after about 6,000 rounds it shows nowhere near the wear I had on the original after only about 2,000 rounds with the chrome BC. There even appeared to be extra strain on the gas rings with the chrome BC; two were "gone" and needed to be replaced  just before I got the Delton BC, whereas I have had the same (new) set in the Delton BC since I installed it, and they appear to be in good condition.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I really like the chrome unit that came in my DPMS AP4. It cleans up super easy, and I am starting to get used to the way it looks. It was my understanding that chrome plated bolts can become brittle during the chroming process. If the bolt or BC is actually made of chrome or perhaps plated in such a manner that it doesnt become brittle, it shouldnt be an issue. If you have a chrome bolt and are concerned about failure, get an extra "mil spec" bolt/BC. This is something you should probably do anyways,...a suppressor pouch makes for a nifty way to carry it and some other supplies. I have been quite happy with mine and I am confident that I wont have any trouble with it.
Edited for spelling/grammer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe a good compromise is a chromed carrier and a standard bolt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's some pics of what I'm currently working with:

I received the new JP stainless carier, and the CMT BCG that I sent to ROBAR to be NP3 coated.

The NP3'd BCG assembly.

And the BCG as it will run (at least initially) in my target rifle.
JP Stainless Steel carrier / Robar NP3 bolt

I'm planning to pick up another CMT bolt to complete the set, and that should give me just enough incentive to start building another rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top