Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/16/2005 8:29:10 AM EDT
I think I'm the kind of person who would rather do it myself than buy anything.  So I've been wondering if this would work for some time now, I finally tried it.  My goal was to reduce the takeup time and over travel on a standard AR trigger...Here are my results:

I took a DPMS lower that's been sitting for some time now and went to town.

I picked up the following items, total price was like 6 bucks I think,

6x34 tap
no32 drillbit
2 6x34 set screws
blue loc-tite

Here's the sequence of events..

Step 1:  The dogs and I went out to the garage and gathered all the parts I thought I would need:

Step 2:  I mounted the lower in the drill press vice, and drilled two holes.  The rear most hole is centered around 10mm to the rear of the trigger cutout, the front hole is centered about 5mm to the front.

Step 3:  I then tapped the two holes with the 6x34 tap.  Cleaned them up and started test fitting the screws.

Step 4:  Here the screws are mounted and loc-tite'd in the lower exactly where I wanted them.

Step 5:  The lower complete.  Assembled with trigger parts for testing.  Works like a champ in my hands, time for a range test.

In all I'd say that I reduced the trigger travel by over half.  The actual trigger pull, weight, remains the same; in the 7-8 pound range.  I'm going to take it out and give it a whirl sometime today probably, I'll inform the results then.

Thanks for looking
Matt
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Great work.  You have more cajhonas than I ever would, drilling into a lower recevier like that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Mongo!  I take that as a real compliment comming from the "Evil Machinist".

Quoted:
Great work.  You have more cajhonas than I ever would, drilling into a lower recevier like that.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
very cool
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Seeing that lower getting drilled into gives me the same chills when I watch movies where someone gets kicked in the balls.  

Hope this works out for you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#5]
pretty cool
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Big balls...
Looks good.
Tell us how it works when you shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious as to whether you'll have to adjust the disconnecter timing after altering the range of the trigger's movement.

I did a somewhat similar experiment several years ago (I ran a set screw up through the pistol grip screw hole to adjust take up) IIRC the disconnecter then required re timing to properly reset.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Its right at the threashhold now.  I tried to put a setscrew in the forward most part of the disconnector channel, in the trigger.   For the purpose of timing the diss. I had no luck as the trigger apears to be hardned as it should be I guess.  But good comment!

Quoted:
I'm curious as to whether you'll have to adjust the disconnecter timing after altering the range of the trigger's movement.

I did a somewhat similar experiment several years ago (I ran a set screw up through the pistol grip screw hole to adjust take up) IIRC the disconnecter then required re timing to properly reset.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps you could explain how this works in a bit more detail. Break it down barney style if you will It seems to me that what you've done is by placing teh set screws have reduced the amount of travel required to engage the trigger, am I understanding this correctly? If so then how do typical two stage triggers work, for example the RRA NM trigger. Thanks

Steve
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Perhaps you could explain how this works in a bit more detail. Break it down barney style if you will It seems to me that what you've done is by placing teh set screws have reduced the amount of travel required to engage the trigger, am I understanding this correctly? If so then how do typical two stage triggers work, for example the RRA NM trigger. Thanks

Steve

Yes your right, I took some of the travel out of the trigger.  The rear screw takes the initial travel out of the picture. The front spring takes care of the overtravel, after the hammer is released.  This provides a trigger that is about 4mm of travel.  Two stage triggers provide a smooth takeup, or travel.  Then the second stage is only a pound or so more than the first.  This way you know exactly when the trigger will break every time.  To my knowledge RRA two stages do not adjust for travel and overtravel, but I may be wrong.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]
How did it work for you on the firingline?
You pinged my curioustiy, please deliver some info!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
tag.  looks promising.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
tag

LB
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
taggage for the other cheapskates here...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool!!!

Please let us know the results!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag for range report.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top