Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2005 6:26:27 PM EDT
My unit is to be issued about 100 M4s that just returned from Afganistan.  They were used by a sister unit that is in the process of returning.  The weapons were issued new prior to the deployment and will be trasfered to my unit for our deployment.

They will probably get the normal -20 level maintenance but will not get any detailed depot level rebuild.

Is there anything I should tell my armorer to look for or any parts that should be replaced after a year of daily carry in the desert?

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot the hell oout of them after they are checked over.  Your armorer should know the basics, and it shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My unit is to be issued about 100 M4s that just returned from Afganistan.  They were used by a sister unit that is in the process of returning.  The weapons were issued new prior to the deployment and will be trasfered to my unit for our deployment.

They will probably get the normal -20 level maintenance but will not get any detailed depot level rebuild.

Is there anything I should tell my armorer to look for or any parts that should be replaced after a year of daily carry in the desert?

Dont worry about it.  You arent the one who is going to make the decisions and the armorers probably know more about it then you do.  Thats why they are armorers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont worry about it.  You arent the one who is going to make the decisions and the armorers probably know more about it then you do.  Thats why they are armorers.

+1

They are highly trained and qualified in knowing what to look for
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
We carried ours for 17 months and didn't have any problems. Operations included multiple firings, and multiple daily chambering and clearing. They ran perfect.

The only problem we had was a 2nd LT couldn't zero his M4. He didn't have his carrying handle installed correctly. That problem is self explanatory.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We carried ours for 17 months and didn't have any problems. Operations included multiple firings, and multiple daily chambering and clearing. They ran perfect.

The only problem we had was a 2nd LT couldn't zero his M4. He didn't have his carrying handle installed correctly. That problem is self explanatory.  

Butter-bars crack me up!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Butter-bars crack me up!

LoL...
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SENT VIA PM ALSO

Some things you can ask about, or mention are the gas rings, extractor inserts, extractor spring, ejector spring, main action spring, hammer and trigger springs, and disconnector spring.  Also check your bolt face/ lugs and extractor for chips.  Your guys should fire them heavily, then take a LONG afternoon for tear down, inspection by each user, and cleaning before you leave.

These are parts worth checking, but will probably not need replacing.  Replacing all of these parts on every weapon would be time consuming if you are a large unit.

It may also be worth dropping a rod down each barrel to make sure they have not been bent while overseas.  

It should go without saying that every Aimpoint/ M68 should have new batteries dropped in.  This way there is no question that things are fresh and ready to go.  

Make sure you have enough caps for barrels.  They are cheap and easy to shoot off, but they make good insurance against crud in a barrel.  

I should have given you a better answer than I did in my first post.  I was in the first DS, and am a primary armorer for a large city PD.  You have my apology for not being more complete.  People often have a tendency to over look the ability of their armorers, but I don't know how high speed your guys are, or are not.  If you are going to bring these things to their attention, please do it in a way that is decent to them.

I'll also post this in your thread.

PS- Make sure your troops have a quick cleaning kit available to them.  Even a quick wipe down is better than nothing, and a bore snake down the barrel can run through a squad getting everyone clean in a matter of minutes.  

I have team friends who just got back, Stay Safe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Prior to transfer of the weapons to your unit, they should be given a 100% TI by the local Direct Support armorers.  I work as a DS armorer and no weapon is transferred without being checked.

The unit armorers will not have all the gages necessary to check the weapon correctly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]
tag.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The only question I'd have is:

Did the good Lieutenant's NCOs properly instruct and train him?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#12]

The real question is, was the Lieutenant willing to LISTEN to his NCO's?  I have run into that situation more than I care to remember.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The real question is, was the Lieutenant willing to LISTEN to his NCO's?  I have run into that situation more than I care to remember.  

Sad but true in ALL services...The best 2LTs I've ever worked with were prior-enlisted.  Come to think about it, I can list the number of great "never enlisted" officers I've ever worked with/under on one hand (this counts folks up through O9, by the way...I've gotten around a bit ).

EVERY Soldier should spend several hours individually inspecting HIS RIFLE when it's issued.  Not only is this important for such things as how far forward he'll want his optic, how tight he wants his mag catch, etc., but it puts more eyes on the subject.  Something like "Hey sergeant!  There's this weird scrape on my bolt carrier-I've never seen this before." could identify a real problem way before the troops hit the sand.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'll agree w/ you, bytor94, that there are many officers that don't listen to their NCOs . . . but I'll also state firmly that there are probably many more NCOs that amuse themselves at the expense of an officer's ignorance, rather than schooling that officer, as a good NCO should.

When I showed up to my first platoon (Airborne Infantry) w/o a Ranger tab, my commander gave me a new PSG (ex-SF, triple canopy, etc).  He was fired w/in two months.  He couldn't work w/ Joe and a young LT, smart and well-trained as he was.

My next PSG (non-Ranger) took me under his wing (rather large, as he played football for Penn State), and we took the platoon to #1 in the Bn during the platoon attack LFX.  I credit my PSG and my WSL for their efforts in guiding and training me.  It was quite a formative experience.

I've had good NCOs and bad NCOs, and more good than bad.  BUT, I have no patience for an NCO that will laugh at anyone else (officer or enlisted) and not lend a hand in making that soldier better.  I might not always take the advice I should, but many good NCOs have helped me get to where I am today, and every day I try to return the favor.

De Oppresso Liber.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Well we picked up our 'new' weapons this week.  Out of 92 M-4s we were missing five carry handles and about 200 hand guards.  Apparently the hand guards were discarded for new mount on toys.  On top of the missing items, they all need to be cleaned.  We got the Bravo Foxtrot from the loosing unit.

I will post more after we have them all Inspected by Maintenance.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top