Posted: 7/7/2005 9:17:31 AM EDT
is that normal?

and whats this on the barrel?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
its a lmt lower and a lmt16" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
machine marks are fine.  Crown looks like it has some crud on it. Cosmoline? Have you cleaned it up properly yet?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
machine marks are fine.

Yep, but that barrel looks to be less than "new".  It could simply be carbon buildup on the muzzle, though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
machine marks are fine.

Yep, but that barrel looks to be less than "new".  It could simply be carbon buildup on the muzzle, though.

You don't think it could be cosmoline? Looks more like paint than carbon buildup. who knows what that fiber is.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
machine marks are fine.

You don't think it could be cosmoline? Looks more like paint than carbon buildup.

My gut reaction to the pic is it looks like pitting.  I'd need a hands on to say for sure.  Pics very rarely show what is actually going on.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
machine marks are fine.

You don't think it could be cosmoline? Looks more like paint than carbon buildup.

My gut reaction to the pic is it looks like pitting.  I'd need a hands on to say for sure.  Pics very rarely show what is actually going on.

Yep. Wasn't bought "new" from Gunbroker was it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If that's all the carbon you have on the muzzle, you need to shoot more.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He said it was "NEW". I would assume that means unfired.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#9]
its new, but test fired with 10 rounds by grant a a few (10?) rounds by freedom enterprises. It came uncleaned.
maybe its just carbon.
is that mark on the lower normal (for a lmt lower)?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said it was "NEW". I would assume that means unfired.

Yes, I saw that, but kiddingly, that's no excuse.  

The lower looks fine to me.  Some companies have prettier lowers than others.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I have another issue: when i take the rear pin out, the upper only opens for ca. 20°, rather than 90°. Is that normal, too?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have another issue: when i take the rear pin out, the upper only opens for ca. 20°, rather than 90°. Is that normal, too?

Need pics of this.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That is definately not normal.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#17]
pics showing the bottom of the upper at the pivot pin would help more, or better yet pic of the the upper mounted on the lower at the pivot area.
clean the bbl and then post pics. to me it looks really bad but could be just cos/carbon like the others have stated.

the lower looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If that's as far as it goes, something isn't right.  Can't say what without handling it, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Take a pic of it opened up from the same bottom angle.  Something's hitting somewhere that shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#22]
looks like there is some scratches on the front pivot lug of the upper at the rear(side closet to lower).

check to see if the pivot lug is  binding against the lower,  
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#24]
could it be that the pivot pin hole on the lower is drilled in the wrong place or that the thickness of the lug material behind the hole on the upper is too thick?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#25]

If it doesn't open fully, maybe a problem with incomplete Machining or something out of spec.
Should pivot freely on front takedown pin...
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
could it be that the pivot pin hole on the lower is drilled in the wrong place or that the thickness of the lug material behind the hole on the upper is too thick?

Nah, it's an LMT, that's not possible!!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, that was running through my mind as i was typing it

also was kinda worried that i might get flamed/banned for saying so.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#28]

although you can't really see anything on this pic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's an imperfect world, screws come loose all the time

- John Bender, The Breakfast Club

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#30]
take a pic from the side with the flash off of the barrel nut/delta ring while open

maybe the barrel nut is hitting the lower?
this could take awhile along with a lot of pics so make sure you have enough bandwidth to be posting all of this

hard to diagnose a symtom over the net but the pics are helping.

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

this is what I'm thinking, too. Now I'd need to find out, wich part exactly is out of spec.

This whole thing is driving me nuts, as I told freedom, to check the gun carefully before shipping it to Germany.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
also was kinda worried that i might get flamed/banned for saying so.

Flame away - I call them like I see them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#33]
the barrel nut or delta ring don't interfere. when it is opened more than the 20° I can't get the lower close enough to the upper, so that I can't push in the pin.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
the barrel nut or delta ring don't interfere. when it is opened more than the 20° I can't get the lower close enough to the upper, so that I can't push in the pin.

Got another upper you can try on that LMT lower and another lower you can try with the LMT upper?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#35]
good idea, will try to get another ar tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe there is burr in there, I would disengage the takedown pin, detent pin and spring. If the detent hole has crud in it is is not drilled fully? Long shot, but trying to rule out minor issues.

ETA you should really post this over in the troubleshooting forum and give Tweak a crack at it. He has a lot of knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting (don't mean to belittle any other advice given).
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got another upper you can try on that LMT lower and another lower you can try with the LMT upper?

what i was trying to type also

for some reason the thread just froze and i couldnt reply.

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 3:00:01 AM EDT
[#39]
i just checked a dpms rifle. The upper and the dpms lower wok fine, the lower and the dpms upper have the same problem. The holes in the lower seem to be drilled 1mm more to the rear on my lower. There are marks on the upper just above the hole.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#40]
maybe you have already confrmed this

but could the delta ring be stuck in the recessed position? (noticed you have the hand guards off)

Im sure you know ARs well enough and this would be 'too easy' (but sometimes these things are)
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
i just checked a dpms rifle. The upper and the dpms lower wok fine, the lower and the dpms upper have the same problem. The holes in the lower seem to be drilled 1mm more to the rear on my lower. There are marks on the upper just above the hole.

looks like you will have to send that back.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#42]
That must be one of those parts that went through the statistical QC program.  Kinda hard to believe the customer is the first person to try and break it open.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That must be one of those parts that went through the statistical QC program.  Kinda hard to believe the customer is the first person to try and break it open.

LMT's QC tag obviousely is marketing only.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMT's QC tag obviousely is marketing only.

Those are kind of strong words, but as mentioned above, something like this should have been caught earlier.  As much as it sucks, it needs to be sent back and replaced.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothing that is made by humans is perfect.
It's how we deal with the imperfections we encounter that is important.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#46]
i agree with the rest even the best make mistakes.

but its how they take care of the situation
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#47]
is it legally possible to send the lower back to the US for replacement, or will there be an import ban?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Nothing that is made by humans is perfect.
It's how we deal with the imperfections we encounter that is important.

EXACTLY.

(and tag)
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My LMT lower and upper is the same way. In fact, I put the lmt upper on my BM and SA lowers and they both did the same thing with the LMT upper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
is it legally possible to send the lower back to the US for replacement, or will there be an import ban?

i would call whoever/lmt who sold you the lower and ask that they take care of it.  lmt should take care of the quality of there products and should also take care of the shipping situation. imo
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top