Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2005 11:18:23 AM EDT
okay after all the feed back i got on the dpms .308 idea i checked around here to the loacal ffl's and pretty much they all tell me to spend the extra and go for the bushmaster? Armalite everyone is telling me is having a lot of problems with thier .308s. DPMS they say you get what you pay for and that they haven't worked out the bugs in these rifles as yet? Also DPMS is a 8-10 week wait. So does anyone have any input on the bush master .308 rifles? I'm looking at  the A2 configuration with cut away stock stock. look forward to the feed back.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushy is a fine rifle but is substantially more $ than the DPMS. DPMS is building excellent rifles. Don't hesitate to buy one. Dont listen to dealers they will bullshit you as much as you will let them.
You will pay $500 more for a Bushy than a DPMS. However I don't know if DPMS makes an A2 in .308.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The 2 things I really like about the Bushmaster .308 is the general quality of Bushmaster products and it uses the inexpensive and plentiful FAL metric mags. The only negative IMHO is that it doesn't have a chrome lined barrel. Unless they have changed DPMS will only use their low capacity mags and the expensive and hard to find 20 round original AR10 mags(last I've seen about a 100 bucks each)

Rick
SGF, Mo
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that the Bushmasters had chrome lined barrels? I just want a good .308 battle rifle and it looks like it's going to run me around $1450.00 ouch!!!!!!! Oh well there is not a whole lot of selection if you want a USA made rifle. How about accuracy at 100yrds with the Bushy?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just ordered a Bushy .308, flat top, 20 inch barrel.  I was told the wait was about 8 weeks as well.  So, either way, you're looking at a wait (unless you can find one locally).  

I went with a Bushmaster, because I own a Bushy .223 so it's what I know and I've been very happy with it.  I can't attest to the differences in quality between the two.  

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The 2 things I really like about the Bushmaster .308 is the general quality of Bushmaster products and it uses the inexpensive and plentiful FAL metric mags. The only negative IMHO is that it doesn't have a chrome lined barrel. Unless they have changed DPMS will only use their low capacity mags and the expensive and hard to find 20 round original AR10 mags(last I've seen about a 100 bucks each)

Rick
SGF, Mo

DPMS ships two 20 rnd steel mags now.

They go for 60 new but I have bought several here on the EE for 30 each.

DPMS is your best deal, great customer service and very well built.

I have not had any issues with my 24" .308.

I am not sure what issues others have had that some mention here.

A new 308 24" lists for 1150.00, other models are less. They have also come out with a carbine.

DPMS you wont be sorry !
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Bushmaster .308 BAR-10A2 rifle with 16" barrel.  I installed National Match sights and fired it off sandbags for accuracy at 100 yards.  I have fired numerous five shot 1" groups with 146g Portuguese surplus ball ammunition.

I reinstalled the larger sights for practical purposes and 2" groups are more frequent than larger ones at 100 yards from the prone position.  

168g HPBT Match ammunition does not perform much better than the Portuguese surplus out of my rifle, but I haven't shot it beyond 300 yards.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The DPMS AP4 .308 is like an M4 in .308.

That's what I would get. Get an SBR Tax stamp, Cut it down to 11.5", would be sweet IMO.

Nice little CQB .308.   All the other .308 ARs have full length or mid length HGs, only the DPMS has carbine length HGs AFAIK.

That's what I plan to do as soon as funds are available. Been hankering for a .308 AR SBR for a while. Impossible to find .308 AR short barrels/short HG setup. . This is perfect. ONe trip to ADCO and it's done.

(If you can find a DPMS AP4, that is. They are flying off the shelves like nobody's business here, cant find any.)

Oh, and DPMS is now making the high quality 20 round steel .308 magazines again, retail for $25.

DPMS PANTHER™ LONG RANGE 308 C 16” AP4 CARBINE (RFA2-308AP4) (Avg price about $995)

Edited concept image of what a DPMS AP4 would look like after being sent to ADCO for barrel cutdown to 11.5"

PANTHER™ LONG RANGE 308 C 16” AP4 CARBINE (RFA2-308AP4) SPECS
Barrel:
• 16” Heavy barrel, with AP4 contour
• 4140 Chrome-moly steel
• 6 grooves, right-handed 1x10 twist, button rifled
• 308 Panther Flash Hider

Chamber:
• .308 Winchester

Method of Operation:
• Gas operated rotating bolt

Bolt & Carrier:
• Chrome plated 8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated and plated
• Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated and plated

Sights:
• Standard A2 front sight assembly

Weight:
• Empty - 8.5 lbs

Length:
• Extended - 35.6”
• Collapsed - 31.6"

Upper Receiver:
• A3-style Flattop, forged
• Thick walled, extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
• Snag free design, smooth side look
• Dust cover
• Shell deflector
• Round forward assist
• Right hand ejection
• Standard sight base

Lower Receiver:
• Milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
• Standard A-15 trigger group
• Integral trigger guard
• Aluminum magazine release button

Stock:
• AP4 - 6 position, telescoping fiber reinforced polymer

Handguards:
• Ribbed aluminum free float
• 2.24” Outside diameter
• 7.25” in length

Note:
Sight and bipod not included.
Each rifle comes with 2- 20 rd. Magazines, 1- Nylon Web Sling and 1- Cleaning Kit

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought the Bushy 308 20" rifle, and have about 500 rounds through it. I really like it, and so far no problems. A friend of mine is a High Master shooter in NRA high power rifle, and he advised me to buy the Bushmaster over the Armalite, saying that based on his observations, it consistently outshoots the Armalite. There have been some problems with broken bolts, however Bushmaster will replace them with a newer version under warranty, so there is not a big risk here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
its a tough choice, but i ended up with a bushmaster .308 over the armalite.   i shot around 1000 rounds through and it fires like a work of art.  no complaints here!
takes any FN FAL mag.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
DR
Where are you finding 20 rd DPMS mags for $25?  I need a few.
Thanks
Thom
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
How many locking lugs does the Bushmaster have?  The modern ArmaLite has six.  Three on each side, none where the extractor is, and none on the direct opposite side (it is cut back so it does not touch the barrel extension).  The ArmaLite bolt is supposed to be more balanced with the load shared the same on each side as compared to the older design, or so goes the theory.  In addition the modern ArmaLite uses tapered lugs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just ordered a Bushy .308, flat top, 20 inch barrel.  I was told the wait was about 8 weeks as well.  So, either way, you're looking at a wait (unless you can find one locally).  

I went with a Bushmaster, because I own a Bushy .223 so it's what I know and I've been very happy with it.  I can't attest to the differences in quality between the two.  

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.

Tony

Classic Gun and Pawn in Barboursville WV has two of those in stock right now. ~1400$. And 2 16'' A2 models.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top