Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2005 12:23:06 PM EDT
I bought my first AR15 A2 this year, an LEO marked Bushmaster XM15 E2S.  I've taken it to the range a couple of times and I am hooked on AR15s!    Also bought a copy of "The Black Rifle" and am learning much from it as well as this forum.  

My question to all you experienced AR15 shooters and/or collectors is, do I "need" to add a Colt SP1 to my "collection"?  Or is one AR15 enough?  I've been looking at a few lately but they either seem over priced or look like they are "mix masters" (i.e. parts guns, a term I learned while buying/shooting Garands).

Any advice on getting/not getting an SP1?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Sp1 for nostalgic purposes , plus they are super lightweight with the benefit of the accuracy of a 20" barrel and softer recoil having a full length gas system. They are nice to have if youve got another AR all pimped out. Its nice to have a plain jane AR.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I figure there is a whole lot more want than actual need here on this forum.

Do you "need" a SP1?
Not really, but don't let that stop you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Whether you need an SP1 depends upon your interests.  

The fact that SP1 values have not crashed since the AWB demise ought to tell you something about the appeal of these guns.  If you have a collector's interest in ARs, I would say you ought to have at least one SP1.

If you're more of a user than a collector, you would probably be more inclined to spend your dough on current configurations and accessories.

Sam
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi, we posted topics almost simultaneously that overlap (see Purist or Throwback ....Carbine?).

I learned to shoot using the SP-1 style rifle in the USAF.  I was hooked by the low recoil, classic profile of triangular handguards and carry handle, and amazingly enough, the shorter A1 buttstock.  I recently took my "new" (to me) 1969 manufactured Colt SP-1 to the NRA HQ indoor range, and it was every bit as sweet as I had remembered.   I even showed it to M4-toting Security Guards who fell all over themselves complimenting this rifle.

If you want the complete experience, I recommend you return to this "root"...you'll be hooked all over again.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Or is one AR15 enough?  

I can't believe you asked that here.

Of course you should have multiples.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, if you enjoy shooting, you need at least one.  There are good prices out there, its a matter of looking and being at the right place at the right time.

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
No, you don't need an SP1, but I do agree that having an early configuration AR rifle has a lot of plus's. However, given that actual SP1s are still bringing collector type prices, you might do better pricewise, and have an AR with actual M16/M16A1 features, by building your own early type.

Right now, early issue uppers,barrels and stock assys are on the market at very good prices.  Check out the Equipment Exchange section on this site almost any day and you'll be likely to find M16 or M16A1 uppers, barrels and stock stuff advertised. Those pieces, combined with any current lower assy (after you pull the current buttstock and put on the shorter early type) will give you an early style AR, will give you all that the SP1 offers, for just a couple of ounces more weight, but with a standard front pivot pin.

If I hadn't class 3d my own SP1 27 years ago, I'd sell it off, and do exactly that myself.  Oh, wait a minute.  I did keep the SP1 XM177E2 clone, but went ahead and did build two early rifle clones (M16 and M16A1 types); and didn't spend any more for both than one SP1 would have cost.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
An actual honest to God Colt SP1.
Nope.
In fact, everyone should sell those that they have already.
I need one.

But let me get this straight, you only have one AR?
Rookies.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
What ever you do don't buy a Colt SP1!!!!!!!!!

Try some other company, that makes them as good for a lower price.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the typical price?  Last gun show I went to,  I saw one for about 1300 dollars.  I think that's kind of pricey for an old rifle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought my first AR in 1981 and it was a SP1.  Have bought several since then but will always have a soft spot for the SP1.  I wouldn't consider parting with it at any price.  If you have a chance to get one then I would strongly consider doing so.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
They're all over-priced around here. $1200+ easily for mediocre rifles (condition-wise you cool-aid drinkers, don't get your panties in a bunch)

If I could get one for $700-$750, I might bite, but that isn't gonna happen.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been kicking myself.  I bought a NIB SP1 about three years ago for 1K.  I ended up SBRing it simply because it was a preban and I didn't think the ban would go away.  Now I have an SBR with a large front pin and have killed the collector value since I had to have it engraved.  I kept the upper though and use it with a small pin SP1 clone.  I like the triangular handguards and light weight barrel.  I'd say get one if you find a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WIZZO

The one I posted in the picture above is in fantastic shape, and ran me $450 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

The one I posted in the picture above is in fantastic shape, and ran me $450 2 years ago.

I'll give you $475+shipping

EDIT: I was taling about the local scene. They are always crazy money for so-so condition rifles for some reason
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
HA! I beat you all...$401 for mine! my upper w/ CH, pistol grip, and stock body was only $160 on the EE. coulda gotten the upper, chrome slabsided bolt, stock w/ internals, and pistol grip for $320 but i didnt have the money. however, mine is not all Colt...just the upper, pistol grip, maybe the stock, and the magazine...and yes you should buy an SP1. it was my first AR and i LOVE it

Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

$450 for a Colt SP1 two years ago?
You robbed someone.
Good Job.

Quoted:
HA! I beat you all...$401 for mine! my upper w/ CH, pistol grip, and stock body was only $160 on the EE. coulda gotten the upper, chrome slabsided bolt, stock w/ internals, and pistol grip for $320 but i didnt have the money. however, mine is not all Colt...just the upper, pistol grip, maybe the stock, and the magazine...and yes you should buy an SP1. it was my first AR and i LOVE it

Then it's not an SP1, is it?
It's a nice rifle, but it's not a fair comparison.
I've seen guys build copies for less than 400. But, that's using a stripped lower, not a Colt SP1 lower. It's not the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You robbed someone.
Good Job.

Nope, I was very clear to the owner regarding how much it was worth.  He was interested in a trade, so I traded.  He feels he got a good deal, I feel quite happy with how it worked out for me.  He doesn't like AR15s, so to him it was worthless, even after being told the value.

No robbery, no swindle, just happy people.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

But let me get this straight, you only have one AR?

Rookies.

Like I said, I bought my first AR15 this year, didn't say it would be my last...!

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes you need a SP1!
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Buy a SP1 and many other AR'S!!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to all for your replies and advice...!  

Do those of you who own SP1s shoot them occasionally/regularly or just take them out of the safe and pet them once in a while...?
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Do those of you who own SP1s shoot them occasionally/regularly or just take them out of the safe and pet them once in a while...? hty.gif

Way-ull...its like I tell my wife; I could have a whole lot worse "hobbies"  he
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Do those of you who own SP1s shoot them occasionally/regularly or just take them out of the safe and pet them once in a while...?

All of the above.

Actually...........don't have a SP1, but my 20" surplus A1 uppers get more useage above my RR 16s than my other uppers, including 11.5s and M4s.  And I run them with full length A1 buttstock/buffers.  Something about the old handguards and lightweight configuration, too.  Guess I'm sentimental, I like 20 rd mags most of all.  

I also find they shoot Wolf 55s a little better than faster twist barrels.  An odd endorsement, perhaps, but I think bad bullets don't appreciate overstabilization.  The 1:12s bores seem to foul less and clean up quicker, IME.  At EmmaGee shoots all I really need is minute-of-dynamite accuracy, anyway.

If I didn't own any 16s I'd damn sure have an SP1.

Sam
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes you need a Colt SP1 and other ARs for your collection.

Myself, the '71 SP1 was my first former AR. I learned a lot from it shooting and taking it apart (except for tapered and rolled pins).

I sold it to buy the newer A2 model in '84. Now I have a M4, M16A2 clone and building my midlength.

I'm also planning to build a match rifle then after that, I would be looking around for a mint SP1.

It's BRD.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#28]
OK... you all convinced me!    I just bought a '72 Colt SP1 in excellent condition which should arrive here sometime next week...  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
OK... you all convinced me!    I just bought a '72 Colt SP1 in excellent condition which should arrive here sometime next week...  

BRAVO!!!!!!  The Colt SP1 is literally one of the SMOOTHEST shooting ARs made.  The action on my 76 is like cold, oiled glass.  It's my favorite.....as is my SP2 CAR.  The slabside Colts are light, genteel, unassuming and pure poetry to handle.  They make a great statement....by not making a big statement.

You'll love it.  

Let me HIGHLY recommend only one non-permanent mod.  Get one of the KNS .312 Diameter Front Pushpins from Brownells.  It replaces the screw that is used in place of a normal front receiver pin...it makes stripping your SP1 a tool-less affair.  I just got one for my SP2 CAR and I love it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Good for you.  I have a personal bias towards the SP1.  It might be the best AR15 configuration ever devised.  Light but with a full length barrel to get full velocity.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Congrats!  You will not regret it.  In fact, you will probably want to get the collapsible stock 16" version, too.  I also think a front push-pin is a good idea.

Sam
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I just picked up 2 1963 sp1's with serials one away from each other I call them the twins this make 26 AR variants. I paid $1150 for each of them in there boxes
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I Or is one AR15 enough?

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I shoot my 100% original SP1 in the monthly NRA Highpower League matches.  I do have a large hole A2 upper inbound though, which will be floated as soon as it gets here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
BRAVO!!!!!!  The Colt SP1 is literally one of the SMOOTHEST shooting ARs made.  The action on my 76 is like cold, oiled glass.  It's my favorite.....as is my SP2 CAR.  The slabside Colts are light, genteel, unassuming and pure poetry to handle.  They make a great statement....by not making a big statement.

Well, I FINALLY got out to the range today and shot 100 rounds to sight in my "new" '72 Colt SP1.  Seven clicks to the right and I was hitting the target pretty well at 100 yards with 55gr Q3131A.  You were correct; it functioned and shot very well.  And it definitely has a different feel from my Bushmaster A2.  It's a great rifle!  

Now I have two ARs and am contemplating what my third should be...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Nope but hey why not?

Max
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Let me HIGHLY recommend only one non-permanent mod.  Get one of the KNS .312 Diameter Front Pushpins from Brownells.  It replaces the screw that is used in place of a normal front receiver pin...it makes stripping your SP1 a tool-less affair.  I just got one for my SP2 CAR and I love it.

Since cleaning my SP1 for the first time right after shooting at the range, I am seriously considering this non-permanent modification!  I was very worried about scratching my gun as I was using the “two screwdriver” method for takedown…
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top