Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 2:51:40 PM EDT
I am having a hard time finding the upper that I want.

I want it to have the following features:
-M4 thin under handguards
-"F"front sight base
-bayonet and perm. attached vortex
-flat-top upper receiver with numers
-1/7 twist with M4 feedramps

I have thought about buying a complete barrel assembly and cmplete upper receiver and putting it together myself. I know the Ar-15 platform well, but I have never assembled one, is it hard to assemble? I would need a receiver block, and barrel wrench. By the time I buy these extras it would cost more anyways, right? Anyone want to let me borrow their receiver block, barrel wrench, etc. to assemble my upper if I buy it?

I would be willing to throw in $20 plus pay shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in OH are you?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
West of Cleveland.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Too far east for me to do a local visit, like I was hoping to.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would need a receiver block, and barrel wrench. By the time I buy these extras it would cost more anyways, right?

I would be willing to throw in $20 plus pay shipping both ways.

If you are hooked enough to ask about building, you are hooked enough to already have these needed parts. I spent $10 on complete block and $5 on wrench at funshow. $35 total, less than you considered for shipping only.

Building it not only helps your knowledge of your weapons, it gives you the ability to modify at will.

Which route you take depends on whether you have more time or money. If you have time, you can buy things at far reduced prices by shopping it out.

I ran into one local arfcommer coming out of the funshow as I was going in. HE had bought an upper (only) for $40.

If you have to have it today, or this week, cough up the $600 for a complete upper.........

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Assembling an upper is not terribly difficult.  I built the one I did with just a barrel vice-no receiver block-and some patience.  The tricky part for you will be the permanent vortex, because making it permanent in the eyes of the BATFE takes specific techniques.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
i like building them.  i know what is what and how its done so if anything goes wrong i know where to look.

never really paid any attention to whats cheaper cause my built uppers arent your common offered configs.

as for having some one build it for you its probably the same or cheaper, i have seen dealers on here that offer free istalls when you buy from them so there you have it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it would be cheaper to build your own. You will run into extra expense if you send it out to get FH permanently attached. ADCO charges $50 for Phantom and attaching it. You'll make up the money spent when building your 2nd upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Just an observation, based on my experience, so TIFWIW, but the 14.5" with permanently attached anything is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated and not worth the trouble.  I had that setup and changed it to a 16" with an A2 and couldn't be happier.  Why be shackled with something like that.

Just a friendly observation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I see your point. I may just go with a mid-length 16" bbl.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good choice. Before I bought my carbine I was thinking about the 14-inch M4 type but I didn't like the permanent attached FS and it's slightly slower velocity. I finally decided on the 16-inch which I could change the FS to what ever I like.

I'm in the same situation as you, I can't find the exact setup I wanted so I just try to avoid assembling the barrel with the upper receiver. Sometimes I buy the whole upper and lower groups and just put them together and sometimes I buy the stripped lower receiver because that is the only condition available at the time I bought it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#12]
depends on the quality of parts you want ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good choice. Before I bought my carbine I was thinking about the 14-inch M4 type but I didn't like the permanent attached FS and it's slightly slower velocity. I finally decided on the 16-inch which I could change the FS to what ever I like.

I'm in the same situation as you, I can't find the exact setup I wanted so I just try to avoid assembling the barrel with the upper receiver. Sometimes I buy the whole upper and lower groups and just put them together and sometimes I buy the stripped lower receiver because that is the only condition available at the time I bought it.

Good luck.

Yeah, I am basically building my own gun per-say. I bought a stripped Bushmaster lower receiver, then I just placed an order for a CMT lower parts kit( I feel this is the best LPK out there) and then I order a 6 position un-marked RRA stock.

Next I need the upper. My problem is when I find the upper there is always something missing.
I might find one that has a 1/7 twist/chrome-lined bbl./thin under handguards but then it lacks the M4 feedramps and "F" marked FSB. damnit.

P.S. I know I could go with LMT but that is a lot of damn money. $600+ for a complete upper is too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
For a barrel with M4 ramps and "F" marked FSB, you've pretty much limited yourself to a Colt barrel or a special run barrel or a barrel like an LMT.  You want the fancy options, you gonna have to pay the price.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I think Bravo Company has what you want www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT.html

Well, looks like the 16" is backordered...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The only advice I can give is tell you how much my upper cost to build.  I couldnt find a complete upper with what I wanted so I built one myself.

Parts for just the upper:
Mega flattop upper with charging handle $110 shipped
Bushmaster 16 inch M4 profile barrel with handguards and gas tube     $240 after shipping
CMT bolt and bolt carrier                          $120 shipped (you can find cheaper ones)

Parts to assemble:
Action block                                              $35
Combination wrench                                 $30

New barrel nut after stripping the first one  $5

All told I have $475 into the upper (complete with bolt and carrier) with an additional $65 for tools I can reuse.  And I built my upper myself and exactly the way I want it.          
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The only advice I can give is tell you how much my upper cost to build.  I couldnt find a complete upper with what I wanted so I built one myself.

Parts for just the upper:
Mega flattop upper with charging handle $110 shipped
Bushmaster 16 inch M4 profile barrel with handguards and gas tube     $240 after shipping
CMT bolt and bolt carrier                          $120 shipped (you can find cheaper ones)

Parts to assemble:
Action block                                              $35
Combination wrench                                 $30

New barrel nut after stripping the first one  $5

Sounds like a good idea. I may just end up building it myself.

All told I have $475 into the upper (complete with bolt and carrier) with an additional $65 for tools I can reuse.  And I built my upper myself and exactly the way I want it.          

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top