Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2005 11:40:21 AM EDT
Newb question:

Other than looks and weight, why aren't 16" carbines made with a lightweight, low-profile gas block at the end of the handguards and the FSB out at the end of an M4 barrel to maximize sight radius?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps the development folks at the U.S. Army's Rock Island Arsenal can better answer that question then a bunch of people on this site that had absolutely nothing to do with the design of the M4 system.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe because there's no such thing as 16" M4
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have pretty limited AR knowledge, but if that statement is true, then why does CMMG sell the following:

"Chrome Lined MOD4 16"Barrel

New Production Mil-Spec 16" Chrome Lined 5.56 chambered M4 barrel. 4150 steel. 1/7 twist?"

I looked at the dissipator setup, and I may be misunderstanding it, but those uppers had longer handguards that increased the weight substantially (it seemed.)  So, what I'm trying to see is if you could get the same benefit of increased sight radius (assuming one didn't want to install a bayonet), by just pushing the FSB to the front and maintaining the gas system with a low profile gas block?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Troy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top