Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2005 10:26:39 AM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

My MagPul M93 came with a couple of plastic presets to limit the LOP. Supposedly there are stronger aluminum presets available that aren't semi-disposable like the plastic ones.

Does anyone have a source for these? My plastic presets are getting a little chewed up from age and continuous use.

I'd e-mail Rich F directly, but since he's running flat out I'm reluctant to bother him with such a petty question. I'm hoping that a MagPul guru or dealer can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
CJ, just e-mail [email protected] or call him. Don't be shy. Heck, I called Rich 3 times yesterday when I was installing my (2) new M93Bs. Even though I have plenty of experience installing M93s, I was putting the on non-standard firearms and I was reinstalling a couple of prototype Magpul receiver sling mounts. They were a tight fit and I didn't want to scratch the parts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry man, you're out of luck.  Magpul does not make a aluminum presets.  Sorry.  I'd shoot Doug an Email and order some new plastic ones.  The reason that they are made form plastic is that they are a softer material.  A harder material like aluminum or steel would cause damage to the stock.  The use of plastic agianst a harder surface such as the isoplast plastic that the stock is made out of allows the preset to give way and accecpt the wear and tear, not the stock.  Therefore you have to replace the preset after long term useage.  If they were aluminum you'd have to replace the stock itself.  I hope this makes sence.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What 7KOPPER said basically... originally when there had been several reports of the plastic presets breaking, Rich had mentioned making aluminium presets available that would solve the breakage problem.

Before those were ever released, they apparently discovered that it didn't solve the breakage problem. It just caused a different and more expensive part to break. So basically the presets are a consumable item now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What 7KOPPER said basically... originally when there had been several reports of the plastic presets breaking, Rich had mentioned making aluminium presets available that would solve the breakage problem.

Before those were ever released, they apparently discovered that it didn't solve the breakage problem. It just caused a different and more expensive part to break. So basically the presets are a consumable item now.

A weakness in the Magpull stock?  how long should I wait before I see these presets breaking?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That would depend on how many times you open it, and probably more so on how hard you slam it open.   Don't worry about it, its a minor inconvenience if any and and even smaller inconvenience on the wallet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You can store an extra preset tab on the stock itself. Besides, if it breaks, the stock still works fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
The preset is just a small strip of plastic that you place on the underside of the stock so that the stock will open to the position you desire with a single tug on the stock. You should have received 3 presets with your stock. The preset only allows you to make the stock open to a specific position. Other than that, it does not affect stock function at all.

How long they will last depends on how hard you use the stock. My first preset lasted several months. My second preset lasted a few hours and I am still using my third preset almost two years later.

However, it would be nice if you could order additional presets from Magpul on their website.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If ya'll want some extra presets just Email Doug at Magpul and order some more.  They are not on the web site as they are not a high-order item and to my knowledge noone has ever asked for extras.  Shoot Doug an email for your order.  Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top