Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 3:06:49 AM EDT
I need to decide on a CAR or Mid length rail for my RRA A4 upper

Can anyone spot me some pics of the differences of the 2 sizes maybe?  Without the crazy handrails too, just the basic ones, would be great.  I have big hands so I'm thinking I might go with Mid.

I do like the smaller, more compact and tactical look of the Car guards though.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, it would depend on the barrel length. 16"or shorter go CAR. if you are 18" and more go Midlength.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Mid

M4
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Man that mid-length is a beaut!  16" in length?  Same look and setup I was going for, with exception of a black IDF sling instead.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
GET BOTH!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man that mid-length is a beaut!  16" in length?  Same look and setup I was going for, with exception of a black IDF sling instead.

Thanks!  The mid was my first and I like the longer handguards.

Yup, it's a full 16" 1/9 chrome lined with a Phantom 5C2.  It started as a post ban and I had ADCO thread and contour the barrel.  

It's now wearing a Surefire M81.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yup, it's a full 16" 1/9 chrome lined with a Phantom 5C2.  It started as a post ban and I had ADCO thread and contour the barrel.

Man, you should have had 'em install a new FSB w/ bayo lug!  That's the beauty of the mid-length system on the 16" . . . you can actually use your bayonet lug!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
GET BOTH!!!

+1

midlenght
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
midlength 16" i just built the other week that im sooo proud to show off

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
CAR CAR CAR CAR CAR

that's my vote
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Midlength.  Why?  'Cause that's what I ordered.  It should come in about a week or so, I can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I need to decide on a CAR or Mid length rail for my RRA A4 upper

Can anyone spot me some pics of the differences of the 2 sizes maybe?  Without the crazy handrails too, just the basic ones, would be great.  I have big hands so I'm thinking I might go with Mid.

I do like the smaller, more compact and tactical look of the Car guards though.

I have several of both....in my personal opinion I like the Mid-Length gas system more for several reasons.

1) Longer sight radius (always a good thing, especially if irons are going to be your primary sighting system)

2) Longer handguards give more real estate, weather you are using standard handguard or a rail system.  If you have large hand or longer arms you will appriciate the longer handguard of a mid-length.

3) Mid-Length gas system is a little smoother than a carbine gas system.  Not by a great margin, but if you fire them side by side you will be able to tell a difference.

I have 7 carbines, 3 of them are Mid-Lengths, and 4 of them are M4's.....If I could I would change all of them over to Mid-Lengths.

Just my 2 pesos

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Mid
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got both, and kinda dig the mid length.  Get what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you already have the upper? If so, what length is your gas system? If it's carbine lenght, then you will have to have the front sight moved forward (assuming it will still be able to fit on the bbl) and the gas tube will have to be replaced.

Regardless of how it looks, the mid length system is bit smoother operating than the carbine system.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want chrome & a 1 in 9 twist 16" super light profile barrel ...then go Bushmaster carbine length
gas system.

If you want chrome & a 1 in 7 Govt. profile 16" barrel then go mid length Sabre Defence as offered by
Rob @Talon Arms

-imo
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top