Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2005 3:10:05 PM EDT
heard alot about this . but i am looking for the gospel on this subject. birdcage hiders need timed and vortec hiders dont why to both, and what if you dont time them what will happen.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
heard alot about this . but i am looking for the gospel on this subject. birdcage hiders need timed and vortec hiders dont why to both, and what if you dont time them what will happen.

All the timing has to do is with the positions of the slots in the FH. The A2 needs to be timed so the slots are on top.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
At a shoot I attended today, I removed my sound suppressor and attached my A2 flash suppressor so some guys could run my rifle through the paces. The peel washer I had wouldn't time the flash suppressor correctly with the flat on the bottom--the closed portion of it was on the right side. When fired, it pushed to the right slightly with each shot, because the gas was rushing out the left side.

The A2 flash suppressor has one slot missing, which makes a flat. This flat should be on the bottom, so that escaping gases will come out the slots in the top and force the muzzle down. Flash suppressors like the one you mentioned don't require timing because they are the same on all sides.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Like the previous posters said birdcage and vortex don't need any timing.

With the A2 if you mount it backwards with the slots facing downward, a couple of things could happen:

If you're in actual combat and in prone position, the FS will kick up dust and it will reveal your position to the enemy.

In extreme cases in dusty areas, it will be hard to see your target with all that dust in front of you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You use it to offset the Earth's rotational pull on your projectile.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You use it to offset the Earth's rotational pull on your projectile.

thats a new one
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently replaced my stock FH with a Vortex. The stock one, of course, is timed and uses a washer.

I reused the washer when installing the vortex just because there was a silly 1/8" gap between the vortex and the barrel tip, after I installed the vortex, initially. The washed filled in the gap.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top