Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 9:19:20 AM EDT
I guy at work told me that Colt buffer springs are better that a bushy or RRa spring.  So my question is, does colt have some special star wars spring technology or is it just hype?  Also, whats the diff between a heavy buffer and a regular buffer.  I buddy just got a new colt m4 for 1200$, so now he thinks colt rules the world.  NO FLAMES OR THREAD HIJACKING,PLZZZ.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I guy at work told me that Colt buffer springs are better that a bushy or RRa spring.  So my question is, does colt have some special star wars spring technology or is it just hype?  Also, whats the diff between a heavy buffer and a regular buffer.  I buddy just got a new colt m4 for 1200$, so now he thinks colt rules the world.  NO FLAMES OR THREAD HIJACKING,PLZZZ.  

Well colt does make a very good AR rifle and produce very good AR parts. The buffer springs I would say are all pretty much the same period. It's not a super crucial part of the gun. As long as it "sproings" back and forth everytime you shoot any spring is acceptable.

It sounds like he is braging about his colt.

What would make a colt spring superior to a bushy or RRA, the metal their made of or maybe the number of coils it has??? Good post SRTOO7.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
  There certainly is a difference between springs but I am unsure that there is a difference between a Bushie and a Colt spring. Poorly made cheap steel springs will lose their temper much faster then a properly heat treated selected steel alloy spring. I figure that most of the better ARs use springs made by Wolff or another highly thought of spring maker with a record of reliable use behind them. If you want to know the maker of Bushie or Colt springs I am sure someone will be along shortly to post.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't put a finger on a mechanical or engineering difference but here is what I can tell you.

I bought a Bushy M4 in July last year, the rifle was great, but each time the gun would fire and cycle, the spring would make a vibrating sound in the stock, and would bother me while I shoot it, it's a rattling spring next to your face, it would bother anyone!

Anyhoo, the ban ended, and about a month ago I sold by Bushy for $700 (bought it for 800), and bought a Colt 6721, no vibration, and feels a lot more solid. Just my observations.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't put a finger on a mechanical or engineering difference but here is what I can tell you.

I bought a Bushy M4 in July last year, the rifle was great, but each time the gun would fire and cycle, the spring would make a vibrating sound in the stock, and would bother me while I shoot it, it's a rattling spring next to your face, it would bother anyone!

Anyhoo, the ban ended, and about a month ago I sold by Bushy for $700 (bought it for 800), and bought a Colt 6721, no vibration, and feels a lot more solid. Just my observations.

Sorry. It's got nothing to do w/who made it. All ARs have some spring noise and/or vibration during cycling. It's just that some of them do it more noisily than others.  You could just as easily have gotten a Bushie w/very little noise/vibration, and a Colt w/more. My own hunch is that it may be more a function of the inner diameter of the tube than anything else that causes the rattling.  High end of the tolerance spec tubes cause more rattles.  But that's just an unproven notion

It would bother anyone? Not me, for one.  Of course, after 25+ years of owning and shooting ARs, I guess I'm so used to it, it doesn't bother me any more

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also, whats the diff between a heavy buffer and a regular buffer.

The weight:

Standard CAR 2.9 oz.
H buffer is 3.8 oz.
H2 buffer is 4.6 oz.
Rifle buffer 5.2 oz.
9mm/tungsten CAR buffer 5.5 oz.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
so does the weight of the buffer make any diff?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't remember specifically what a Colt buffer spring is rated for-but 100k cycles seems to stand out in my mind. In reality a buffer spring won't last that long-at least mine haven't.

There are some visible differences in color and wire thickness between a Colt spring and others, but I don't know how the non-Colt springs compare. Back when I worked as a parts inspector for Colt we were more concerned about making sure our springs were in spec-rather than comparing them to others.

The interior fit and finish of the buffer extension tube is the critical variable here in overall smoothness and perceived quality. The interior of a Colt buffer extension tube is smooth and properly finished, and some commercial alternatives are not. A roughly finished interior will mean more noise and more friction.

For what it's worth, owners of MagPul M93 series buttstocks have the best of both words. Not only do they have a great sliding stock but the interior of the buffer extension is perfectly smooth and properly dimensioned. When you cycle the bolt of a MagPul equipped rifle it feels like it's on ball bearings, and the quality of the buffer extension is a big part of the reason why.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For what it's worth, owners of MagPul M93 series buttstocks have the best of both words. Not only do they have a great sliding stock but the interior of the buffer extension is perfectly smooth and properly dimensioned. When you cycle the bolt of a MagPul equipped rifle it feels like it's on ball bearings, and the quality of the buffer extension is a big part of the reason why.

+1

I just recently shot with one and was surprised at the lack of a "TWANG" .. It was smooth and quiet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been putting Colt buffer springs in all my carbines for the last couple years.  The length of the Colt spring is noticeably longer than Bushmaster's spring.  I notice with the Colt spring the action of the gun is a little smoother, the buffer doesn't hit the rear of the tube, and the loud "sprong" noise is gone.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top