Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2005 9:24:19 PM EDT

I had an amazing day today.  I met a person that I hope will become a mentor of sorts.

I took a trip up the hill to an idyllic shop along a river.  It is a mom & pop shop selling everything from amish quilts...............to 50 calibers, (AKA "BIG RIFLES")   I walked in and met the shop owners then headed over to "Pops" end (with the 50s).  He talked to me like a son-in-law about the way of the world... I was in awe of his intellect, It gave me chills.  You know the type.

When the conversation got to Optics (the reason for my visit) He pulled a NSN off the shelf and strapped to a carbine for me to "see"...She's a beaut'

I also noticed another beaner sitting on the shelf that had a 4x12-ish leupy, and asked to shoulder it.

I when I looked closer, it was the THE SHTF goto gun for Pop.  ( M-16 beta mag...hehe My bad!)

Got me thinking...I WANT ONE ...duh.  

The shop got several customers and I was unable to ask and bask in pops schooling about what it takes RR or RDIAS ect.  I headed home.

On the way home that M-16 was the only thing on my mind.   untill I saw the accident.  Jeep in perty good shape, vs midsize sedan barely identifable as one....Here I am feeling down because I dont have a giggle switch, and there is someone dead on the road in front of me...lots of "parts" everywhere (car and people) The sight of this snapped me back to "reality"  
Now I feel like Supertard.

Here comes the question to justify posting this in this forum.  

I have noticed a few of the Doubling problem posts, and have to ask the question. Why was the autosear created if the AR trigger will go full auto with a worn disconnector anyway?

Prying the M16 idea out of my head, I am debating whether to go with the JP kit or just the springs, any thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...I have noticed a few of the Doubling problem posts, and have to ask the question. Why was the autosear created if the AR trigger will go full auto with a worn disconnector anyway?

The AR won't go full auto with a worn diconnector.  You might get an occasional double - but mostly likely the hammer will get caught up on the firing pin (there is a reason why the hammer and Ar-15 bolt carreir are different from the M16 versions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to go check out the General section of this board, you may fit in better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You might want to go check out the General section of this board, you may fit in better.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
There is more than one kind of doubling.  I have experienced this kind.  The disconnector notch on my hammer chipped.  There was enough left that when the bolt cycled, the disconnector caught and held the hammer.  But because of the missing material, the timing was off.  When releasing the trigger, the disconnector released the hammer before it could be caught on the trigger sear.  

Result:  One shot when the trigger was pulled, one shot when it was released.  If the trigger was released rapidly, it was a definite bang-bang, full auto sound.  Instant two round burst effect.  

Mechanically, it was safe, kind of.  The hammer didn't follow the bolt.  It wouldn't fire more than two shots at one time, so no chance of a runaway.  Would I be in trouble with the ATF?  Yeah, I think so.  If I kept the parts in the gun after knowing the problem or if I modified the parts to create the effect.

For those who think it might be fun to re-create, do you really want to fire two shots EVERY time you pull the trigger?  It's not as if you can be really good with your finger and only touch off one shot on the full auto setting.  Its every, single time.  One when you pull, and even when you don't want it, one on release.  Really, its not something I want to have happen.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top