Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:31 PM EDT
RRA tactical entry (flat top), chrome barrel, badger tactical latch, weaver gas block, YHM front and rear flip up irons, surefire m73 quad rail, dark parts rail covers, mamba sling.

Anything Im missing except a cleaning kit, magsm lots of ammo, and range time

I am a pistol guy and this is my first AR just want to get some opinions if there are any hitches in my set up        

Thanks Zen
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Your hitch is you now have BRD.
(Black Rifle Disease)

You will soon be needing another AR just wait.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds more pimped out than the two AR's I have.

Now you just gotta post pics

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds good. I would eventually trade out the Badger latch for a PRI Military latch as it is a snag master.
C4

Is this a PRI military latch?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a good basic setup.  Are you thinking about optics yet?  Cause that flattop and the forearm are going to ask you to put optics on them.  These guns talk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
C4, thanks for your input. You are very correct about the Badger being a snag. I know, I own a snag Im ordering a PRI tomorrow. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Im thinking after I work with the irons for the rest of this year i will get an acog and surefire light vertical front grip next spring.

The PRI latch is more snag resistent your saying?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
RRA tactical entry (flat top), chrome barrel, badger tactical latch, weaver gas block, YHM front and rear flip up irons, surefire m73 quad rail, dark parts rail covers, mamba sling.

Anything Im missing except a cleaning kit, magsm lots of ammo, and range time

I am a pistol guy and this is my first AR just want to get some opinions if there are any hitches in my set up        

Thanks Zen

Is your Badger latch one of the newer GenII style? If its the larger Gen.I version, I would also reccommend the PRI big latch. That and a Magpul trigger guard,.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure about the badger gen 1 or 2.  It was an option from RRA.

Hey Rolly I Had pistol packers disease and now I own 6.  Hope BRD dosent get me like that. LOL
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the one that I purchased from RRA.

Is it Gen 1 or 2? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice setup. How do you like those M73 handguards?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thats a gen 1 this is the gen 2.

www.globaltactical.com/axami/img/prod_hi/196.jpg

Hey Dave, that is sweet! Hmmmm, you got me undecided now Which do you think is better? The PRI or Badger Gen 2?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the gen 2 due to it's grooved section allowing a more non slip operation, especially while slapping the latch back with the palm of the support hand while clearing a FTF or FTE.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Im not sure about the hand guard. I haven.t pick the gun up at the shop yet.  I am informed it will be available first week of June.  Just wanted some experienced thoughts so I could make any last minute changes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I dont know what kind of optics you are using but, tactical latches are only cool on rifles with large optics that otherwise impede charging the rifle..................mostly bling.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Im probably getting an acog spring of 2006.  I want some time to use my irons.  Is a tac latch necessary for this.  Im not really into Bling and dont really want stuff I dont need

Thanks Zen
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Dump the tac latch, and I'm not really sure why you are going with a folder front sight either...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I dont know what kind of optics you are using but, tactical latches are only cool on rifles with large optics that otherwise impede charging the rifle..................mostly bling.

I like mine for quick charging the rifle without having to let it leave my shoulder. Like when changing a mag without the rifles point of aim leaving my target Its somthing the instructor taught us at qualifications. The instructor explained that the bolt doesnt always lock after charging with a fresh magazine useing the bolt release latch, which is where the forward assist comes into play, and then you need to drop the weapon from your shoulder to operate the assist.  It seems to always close tight when useing the charging handle to close the bolt. To each there own I guess?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#22]

I like mine for quick charging the rifle without having to let it leave my shoulder. Like when changing a mag without the rifles point of aim leaving my targething

+1
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Zen,

Your setup is a pretty good start.

You don't have to have some of the improvements that I will be suggesting right away, if you like some of them just upgrade a little at a time.

Since you have a flat top and I didn't saw any optics in your list you could get either an Aimpoint, EOtech or ACOG. If you're a pistol guy you should be used to using your irons and upgrading to dot sights should be your next step.

I used to compete a lot in IPSC combat shooting in the '80s and back then when we were first using Aimpoints and Tasco red dot scopes, we usually got about 20% improvement over the iron sights.

Other parts to consider would be your flash suppressor look into Phantom and Vortex.

Grips, you could look at other brands that fits your hands better like Hogue, Magpul MIAD, Tango Down, Ergo grip, etc.

Magazine accessories such as Magpul enhanced followers and Ranger plates. Even Wolf high performance spings.

Better stocks like Vltor, LMT SOPMOD, Magpul 93B and others.

I have both Badger Ordinance Gen 1 and Gen 2 and I like the Gen 2 better, less snag. I might have to melt the corners of the Gen 2 to improve it.

Check out my M4gery, it's the second one from the bottom of the page.

M4gery Pic Thread link
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Theres more 'all around' flexability when useing a tactical latch.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The PRI Military Latch was designed at the request of NSWG as they do tons of speed clear drills. It is a cheap product ($19.95) and makes a big difference....

C4

Just got done ordering one from www.GRTactical.com. First time buying from G&R Tactical,  it was a super quick and easy purchase useing there PayPal payment system! Thanks C4!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like mine for quick charging the rifle without having to let it leave my shoulder. Like when changing a mag without the rifles point of aim leaving my target Its somthing the instructor taught us at qualifications. The instructor explained that the bolt doesnt always lock after charging with a fresh magazine useing the bolt release latch, which is where the forward assist comes into play, and then you need to drop the weapon from your shoulder to operate the assist.  It seems to always close tight when useing the charging handle to close the bolt. To each there own I guess?

I was always able to use the standard CH one handed while maintaining sights on target. I think that this is another one of those fixes for something that is not broken. With proper training, you could save your money and buy more ammo.

Then there is the snag issue- anything that is "extended" has potential to catch and operate itself at the worst time. Some may argue that the newer latches are lower profile- then again, what is the point of having one. I am more of a KISS kind of guy- nothing "extended".

I do have two tactical latches- one is on a Recce type carbine and the other is on a varmint rig with a leupy. Both need one in order to operate the weapons. As for my other assorted M4s and carbines- standard latches.

JMHO  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys are all focused on the Tactical Latch while you missed the big one IMHO.

The Weaver block.

Dump this feature.  Either use a standard front sight (my preference) or get a folding front sight if you're worried about a little shadow showing up in your scope.  Either way you're SURE to have a front sight available should you need/desire to use irons.

If you buy a weaver block then you have to make sure you buy an additional front sight that will fit on it, and you'll have an addition point of failure to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You guys are all focused on the Tactical Latch while you missed the big one IMHO.

The Weaver block.

Dump this feature.  Either use a standard front sight (my preference) or get a folding front sight if you're worried about a little shadow showing up in your scope.  Either way you're SURE to have a front sight available should you need/desire to use irons.

If you buy a weaver block then you have to make sure you buy an additional front sight that will fit on it, and you'll have an addition point of failure to deal with.

Oh how these topics get way off track Getting to the weaver block, It isnt somthing I would add to my battle rifle. It is somthing I do have on my varmit/target AR though. I agree with Forest, stick with the irons that were originaly intended to be on an M4. Having back up irons is a must and having reliable irons is most important.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Weaver block.

Oh how these topics get way off track Getting to the weaver block, It isnt somthing I would add to my battle rifle. It is somthing I do have on my varmit/target AR though. I agree with Forest, stick with the irons that were originaly intended to be on an M4. Having back up irons is a must and having reliable irons is the most important.

+1- standard FSB/ iron sights
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I will agree with keeping the standard front site base. If for some reason you just have to swicth it out. Look into the 2 pc. YHM folding front sight. this one has the gas block built into it with no need to buy the block and sight seperatly.

ETA to add the link to  the sight I mentioned above.

www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=1149
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Badger GenII latch is very very nice.  It has not stabbed me yet while the 1st gen was always stabbing me.  That damn thing almost punctured a lung...

The new latch couldn't be any more dissimilar to the old one.  the old one seems like cheap chinese cast metal.  the new one seems to be 100% machined and is very nice and solid.  a lot of thinking went into the second version.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think that this is another one of those fixes for something that is not broken. With proper training, you could save your money and buy more ammo.

A.) The PRI latch is such a no-brainer, I can't believe it took this long for someone to develop it. It should just be standard equiptment.
B.) Its a $20 part, Thats only going to buy you 5~6 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

B.) Its a $20 part, Thats only going to buy you 5~6 rounds.

$20 is 80-100 rounds of Q31312A and 140 rounds of Wolf....

It's a minimum of 50 rounds of 75gr or 68gr OTM from Blackhills with enough left over for a Coke...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top