Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:14:14 AM EDT
What is the correct bayonet model for my BM 20" A3? What markings do I look for to know that I am picking out is a GI bayonet and scabbard?

I know that my second question should be in a different forum but it is on topic .....

What would be the correct blade length for a bayonet to fit my 03-A3 with 1943 bbl date?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
US Army use M9 and the USMC use the M10 (is it the right name?)

HERE you can find a lot of info about M9 bayonets

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the older M7 still issued?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
don't think so. btw you can't go wrong with Ontario blades
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the M7 and save yourself some ammo money.  it will stick anyone just as good as the others, for less than half the price!

The m7 is what I was trained with in Recruit training 4 years ago...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get the M7 and save yourself some ammo money.  it will stick anyone just as good as the others, for less than half the price!

The m7 is what I was trained with in Recruit training 4 years ago...

This is the route that I am considering. I DO want to remain married after all and I can not abuse the family budget too much.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]
 I don't mean to be disresptful but for most us it's a non issue.  I'm going to put the 30 plus dollars into more Wolf or compoents, but feel to flame away.  I guess I'm too pragmatic to spend my few dollars on something I'm going to use.  I just can't seem to think of stabbing a wounded woodchuck to death but, when I was in my ealr teens it was routine.  .22 hornet ammo did not grow on trees...........Thanks Essex
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 I don't mean to be disresptful but for most us it's a non issue.  I'm going to put the 30 plus dollars into more Wolf or compoents, but feel to flame away.  I guess I'm too pragmatic to spend my few dollars on something I'm going to use.  I just can't seem to think of stabbing a wounded woodchuck to death but, when I was in my ealr teens it was routine.  .22 hornet ammo did not grow on trees...........Thanks Essex

I respect and agree with your perspective. I have two other rifles with bayonets and bayonets are just cool (Sewde 96 and Springfield 03-A3) I would have a third but my M21 shoots too well for me to justify switching out the flash hider for one with that small lug. I think most of us here were denied having a rifle capable of receiving a bayonet for too long. Now that the legislation has expired, even if the likliehood of us actually using the bayinet is slim, we ARE going to get one and enjoy knowing that we HAVE one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Hello, I thought I would help you out with the second part of your question about your Springfield. Any bayonet that will fit the M-1 Garand will fit your Springfield. To be more "period" correct for your rifle though up until 1943 the issue M1905 bayonet was 16 inches. Then on 11 Feb. 1943 the M1905E1 10 inch bayonet was adopted. Both would be "correct" for your rifle in my opinion. There were at least six companies that made them and they will have there initials stamped on the blade along with the U.S., Flaming Bomb and manufacture date stamps. I have seen the prices range from $50 to insane amounts over $350 for these. I think it comes down to how much steel goodness you want on the end of your rifle and what you are willing to pay. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hello, I thought I would help you out with the second part of your question about your Springfield. Any bayonet that will fit the M-1 Garand will fit your Springfield. To be more "period" correct for your rifle though up until 1943 the issue M1905 bayonet was 16 inches. Then on 11 Feb. 1943 the M1905E1 10 inch bayonet was adopted. Both would be "correct" for your rifle in my opinion. There were at least six companies that made them and they will have there initials stamped on the blade along with the U.S., Flaming Bomb and manufacture date stamps. I have seen the prices range from $50 to insane amounts over $350 for these. I think it comes down to how much steel goodness you want on the end of your rifle and what you are willing to pay. Hope that helps.

Exactly the information I am looking for. Thank you! I already have the 10" blade (minus sacabbard) and I have a friend who wants to give me the longer bayonet with scabbard because he does not have an M1 or 03-A3.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
don't think so. btw you can't go wrong with Ontario blades

I agree.  I have an Ontario M9 and I really like it
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Krazy Karl I agree with you and the feeling of being denied.  It's been a long time since common sense prevailed.  Now we can ENJOY!  On the other hand, our babysitter just turned 18...................but, I'm still not going to hump her.........Essex
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If a friend offers you the longer bayonet, take it.  They are very hard to find in original shape.  Many were cut down to the new length.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the USMC M-10(?) You get  a Ka-Bar that can be mounted on your rifle. Its like a 2 in 1 tool
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The USMC M10 is not just a bayonet, it's a fighting knife that "just happens" to have a bayonet ring.  It's a great knife!  However, I initially got the M7, and am PERFECTLY happy with it as my "AR bayonet."  

I also have a Springfield M21, and feel the same way you do.  I WISH it had a bayo lug, but I'm not going to swap ANYTHING out on it.  I am considering selling it and just getting the Standard M1A with bayo lug, just for authenticity.  Anyone know how much I could get for my M21?  MSRP is $3086 from Springfield, but I wonder what REAL prices are...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The more I think about it, the more I agree that the M7 is the way to go to fit a decent bayonet at an acceptable price. As far as the sale price on a SA m21, it would depend upon the number of GI parts, accessories (scope, mount, mags, etc...) also for sale with the rifle, number of rounds down the tube, etc.. gunsamerica.com or gunbroker.com might be a good place to get approximate prices. I would keep it and buy a polytech (about $800) to satisfy the need for a standard issue rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The USMC M10 is not just a bayonet, it's a fighting knife that "just happens" to have a bayonet ring.  It's a great knife!  However, I initially got the M7, and am PERFECTLY happy with it as my "AR bayonet."  

I am glad you found my website above (M9Bayonet.com) and the prices do range from about $35 to as much as $1200 for one rare model that I have seen sold recently.  There are a few LanCay M9s listed in the EE (blades) that I believe are the first Contract blade but I need to see the ones I ordered to know for sure as they could be the Product improved model...  Those LanCays were $65/ea which is a good price for that generation M9!

M9 bayonets are a complicated knife to put a value on...  I think I have about a dozen of them and I am working to get more as I find ones I need for my own collection...  I personally like the Buck and Phrobis M9s best but the early LanCays have the same blade materials and were made the same way as the Buck & Phrobis M9s.  As time went on lanCay made some changes that resulted in the M9 becoming cheaper which based on the discussions here is what you wanted!

The M9 Bayonet is much more then a bayonet and while I also own an M7 bayonet I would have to respectfully disagree with anybody that says the M7 is the same as an M9...  Now, regarding the M10 I assue that you are all refering to the OKC3S bayonet.  I really like the looks of that knife and I am going to be selling these knives on my website very soon.

If you didn't visit my site yet, please check it out as there is a ton of info on there!  If anybody has info that I don't have, please let me know as I know there are a few gaps in there still.

www.m9bayonet.com

If you want an idea of what they sell for, look at this page:

www.m9bayonet.com/m9bayonetebay.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is the older M7 still issued?

It still is in basic training at most Forts I believe.

Some poor units are unlucky enough to have them.

You can't beat the price- ~$20 at most gunshows (including scabbard)

Bayonets are a waste anyways- outdated by the sidearm.

How about carrying the bayonet's weight in ammo?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#20]
RustyTX I will keep you in mind when it is time to buy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Bayonets are a waste anyways- outdated by the sidearm.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=559592004

Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights (Navy Times, 1994)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top