Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2005 8:39:19 AM EDT
I'm about to order some cleaning stuff from brownells and I'm wondering if I need a bore guide.  Or should I be good to go with just a dewey coated rod?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a bore guide along with a dewey rod. I don't know if it's necessary but that's how I was taught.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I use a bore guide along with a dewey rod.

what kind do you use?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
a cheap brown plastic one with a yellow end.
I don't know what brand it is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
HELL NO!  I pull my dewey through military style.

Why do I need another gizmo to store/lose/haul around?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it a match, hi-power, varmint, or other precision rifle? Yes, treat it with kid gloves, take very precaution.

Is it a plinking, social, or self defense weapon? If so look to the guys that know the most about M16/M4's, the military. Do the Army or Marines use bore guides?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I use one.  

I like and dislike it.
1. I hate another piece of equipment to lug around.
2. I love being able just to squirt cleaner right into the slot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is it a plinking, social, or self defense weapon? If so look to the guys that know the most about M16/M4's, the military. Do the Army or Marines use bore guides?

yeah, this is a chrome lined barrel, so not a match gun.  you think just forget the bore guide?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
No, I use an Otis kit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
no

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#10]
By all means, I use a Sinclair guide and its great.  The government doesn't buy my barrels, I do, and I intend to take care of them so I don't have to replace them any more often than necessary.

Phil
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
You mean you're supposed to clean your bore?

Nah...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes i do and I like it.Dont want to damage the bore!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
just thinking out loud here, but isn't the purpose of the coated rod so you won't hurt the bore?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#14]
BORE SNAKE.

Try it and you'll never use anything else.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BORE SNAKE.

Try it and you'll never use anything else.

I got a bore snake for Christmas and like it a lot so far. It hasn't completely replaced the Dewey coated rod I use at home, or the USGI kits I use at the range-but I do like it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
just thinking out loud here, but isn't the purpose of the coated rod so you won't hurt the bore?  

Bore/rod guides aren't about protesting the bore, they're for protecting the throat.
If you care about your rifle, then use one

Mark
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought bore guides were only used if you were cleaning the barrel from the muzzle end to keep the rod from damaging the rifling at the muzzle, which is very sensitive as far as accuracy goes. I clean my AR from the chamber end so I don't see how I would need one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I thought bore guides were only used if you were cleaning the barrel from the muzzle end to keep the rod from damaging the rifling at the muzzle, which is very sensitive as far as accuracy goes. I clean my AR from the chamber end so I don't see how I would need one.

How would something that goes in the BORE protect the muzzle while cleaning from the muzzle end?

Unless it is a match gun, then I wouldn't worry about it. I use a bore snake for all my weapons now. But I used to a bore guide on my smallbore match rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I was thinking of something different. Sorry. I was thinking about those cleaning rods that have a "guide" attached that you insert into the muzzle to keep the rod from rubbing the rifling on the muzzle end. A bore guide is a different animal. My mistake.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a dewey and clean from the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#21]
There are several different reasons to use a bore guide that fits in the chamber, one of the reasons is that many bore cleaners contain ammonia, and ammonia can attack anodized surfaces like your aluminum receiver, the guide keeps the bore cleaner in the bore and not on the receiver.

Brownells has a number of different ones, from a reasonable price to expensive, they all do the same thing and the higher priced ones aren't necessarily better, I got the one from Possom Hollow, it's towards the low end of the price scale and works fine.

528-101-019 Model #19, Fits AR-15   $18.35
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7924&title=O-RING+BORE+GUIDE
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Always, and a coated rod.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.

A plastic one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Can I use a bore snake labeled for .22 cal on my AR?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Bolt action?  Yes.  

I bent a dewey rod by not using one.  

The guide makes it sooooo much easier to use a tight patch and get the bore clean.  

When I clean it that is.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#26]
yes I use one...everytime.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Always, and a coated rod.

Me 2.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Bore Snake, Gun Scrubber and CLP.   Quick, clean, cheap and easy.   I threw away my Sinclair/Dewey stuff; still shooting just as good.   If I kneel down and aim for a nose at 100 at hit an eye, that's good enough for me.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a Bore Snake ( yes the .22 one is the one to use ).  It cleans like nothing else I have ever used.  If I have to really scrub a bunch with a brush I will use a carbon rod or an Otis cable.  It has always been beyond me why people freak out about a plastic coated cable screwing up a steel barrel.  The only time I would worry about my barrel if if I were using one of the segmented steel USGI cleaning rods, luckily I have a choice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#30]
bore snakes are handy but they don't really get all the crud out. Run a brush and jag through after using the bore snake and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Boresnake.  

The only time I use a rod is a short handle one with a chamber brush.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Boresnake.  

The only time I use a rod is a short handle one with a chamber brush.

+1, I know a boresnake doesn't clean as well as traditional methods, but I don't care. I don't have any match guns anyway.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Otis Kit

I cleen chanmer to muzzle
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I use a Hoppes alluminum rod to push a CLP soaked patch thru, let siy over night, run Bore Snake thru about 5 times, then repeat procces for a total of 3 times.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#35]
This has always confused me.  I dont use a guide.  If you use an aluminum or brass rod with brass brushes I would think that you  should be good.  Or do the laws of hardness not apply to guns.  If you use a softer metal against a harder metal there is no way you can damage the harder metal because the softer metal will take the damage no?  Please help my ignorance.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
No, I use an Otis kit.

+1

Evolution of cleaning methods.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This has always confused me.  I dont use a guide.  If you use an aluminum or brass rod with brass brushes I would think that you  should be good.  Or do the laws of hardness not apply to guns.  If you use a softer metal against a harder metal there is no way you can damage the harder metal because the softer metal will take the damage no?  Please help my ignorance.  

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't go interjecting logic into an arguement decided by emotion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't own any rods

Otis all the way
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I also thought the same and have been using a brass rod for years and haven't seen any negative effects...

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't go interjecting logic into an arguement decided by emotion.

lol

I don't know that anyone is getting "emotional" over the use of a bore guide.  If you have something useful to say, and you can spell it correctly, why not just spit it out?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The deal is a soft aluminum rod is apt to pick up grit, which being harder than the rod, will imbed itself in the rod.  Then as the rod flexes in the bore the grit in the rod will damage the bore.  That's the theory anyway.  Whether or not it's a real problem I don't know, but regardless of what type of rod you use, wipe it down inbetween patches to keep it free of grit.

I use a bore guide just out of habit.  The deal about having a solvent port is nice.   Also use a coated Boretech rod, they are very nice -- great handles and smooth bearings.  But thinking through it all I'm sure a Boresnake would work well enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Carrying extra crap in my range bag makes me feel cool and powerful.  Not really.

My delrin bore guide helps me clean faster.  Since I have trouble hitting the hole, bore guide gives me that extra length.  Reduces user error (read my error).

I like keeping solvent and other crap out of the upper & lower.  Using a Parker-Hale jag or other wrap around jag is the perfect tool when using a bore guide.

I use a boresnake when I don't have time for a thorough cleaning between strings.  Does a good job when the barrel is still warm.  My random thoughts.

ETA:  I'm sold on the Tipton carbon fiber rods.  Good product.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Is there anything wrong with a Kleen Bore multi- segment rod with a brass brush. I have heard rumors that a segmented rod can cause damage but Kleen Bore is what my local gun dealer recommended to me. I want to make sure that I am not damaging my rifle. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Observe a grand example.

Is water soft? Is granite hard? Take a look at the Grand Canyon and you will understand the theory. Even soft things will wear down the harder things. I know the Grand Canyon
Took thousands of years to create and your rifle will wear out by shooting well before your cleaning supplies do. But just had to prove a point.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#46]
The best reason to use a Bore guide to me is this.
The Brass, copper, nylon, and all other brushes we use are twisted in steal right.
So does it not make sense that the tip of these brushes will scratch and nick the interior of the chamber? Over time this will IMO cause excessive wear to the chamber.  
I feel bore guides are worth the bit of trouble having to buy an extra piece of equipment and lugging it around.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#48]
NSN cleaning kit is all I use. Good enough for NATO and the USA military, good enough for me
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#49]
No.  I follow the FM and pull my aluminum (not GI) rod through from breech to muzzle.

HOW CAN A SOFT STEEL, FIBERGLAS OR ALUMINUM ROD HURT BARREL STEEL?  Really!  That barrel is made of 4140 or 4150 steel-tough, hard, and resistent against the erosive effects of propellant gasses at 50,000psi time after time after time.  It should take something at least as tough and hard to do anything to the barrel.  The muzzle is the same steel, so unless you're using diamond coated rods, how can you bung up a muzzle?  And with a chrome lined bore and chamber, there's even more tough metal between the rod and the barrel...  I just don't understand how you could mess that up from cleaning with normal tools.

This is not flame bait, folks.  I just want to know how any of you actually thinks a cleaning rod can damage a barrel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#50]
No.  I just use the regular G.I. Cleaning kit and clean with CLP from the chamber end towards the muzzle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top