Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 8:36:01 AM EDT
I am trying to learn the difference between the Colt 6450 and 6430 9mm carbines.   From reading info on the net, they seem to be about the same.  The one I'm looking at has the following markings:

Lower receiver on mag well: on top is the Colt pony logo and the stylized "Colt" word logo; under that is "SPORTER LIGHTWEIGHT" and under that is "CAL. 9MM - NATO"

Lower receiver above trigger has the four line address all in capitals:  Colt's Firearms Division, Colt Industries, Hartford, Conn., U.S.A.

Serial number:  ML 0020XX (All databases seem to say it should have a TA prefix, but this one and the 6430 shown at the chameleonweaponry site have ML prefixies)

No bayonet lug

4 position collapsible stock

Any ideas on which model it is?
Any ideas on whether it is preban or post ban?  

Thanks!

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Well in looking at mine which reads Colt
                                                    9MM Carbine
                                                 Cal. 9MM-NATO    
                                                   Ser. TA0066XX
Now mine has the bayonet lug A1 sights & A1 flash hider & case deflector it definatly is PRE BAN.
I was looking at a chart of all known AR15 variations and it does not list this model that I have.
I would imagine that yours is just before the POST BAN changes as there is no bayonet lug.
The 6430 is marked "Sporter Lightweight" th 6450 is marked "9MM Carbine". If you Email me I can send you a copy of that chart that I've been talking about.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, the one I'm talking about has a receiver stamped just like the top photo, but it has a four line address as noted, rather than the three line address in the picture.

It also has the black shell deflector behind the ejection port.

It also has the screw instead of a later type front pin.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool-   DR saved me a trip to the safe!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Correction on serial number--it is an "NL" prefix, not "ML" as I previously mentioned.

Either way, it looks like a 6430.  Agreed?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Correction on serial number--it is an "NL" prefix, not "ML" as I previously mentioned.

Either way, it looks like a 6430.  Agreed?

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a 6430 Blue Label Rifle - if you look closely at the collapsible stock you will find it does not bear Colt factory staking marks on the stock tube nut (or the black paint they dob over the stake marks).  Your rifle came from Colt with an fixed stock originally, the collapsible was added.  

ETA:  Your is a pre-1994 rifle.  Post-94's were marked "Match Target" - and are somewhat rare as they dropped them from the post-94 line-up due to low sales.  Even the current 6450 semi is not listed on Colt's website, and sources say the only make small batches a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all of you for your help.  

The whole collapsible stock thing threw me because the seller thought it came with it from the factory.  I assume that's why he thought it was a 6450 instead.

I decided to buy it as a plinker, since 9mm ammo is $10/100 at Wally World every day, and I like things that are "different."

K
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one just like yours and bought it without a box in 1994, it has a fixed stock and no bayo lug, marked as yours. Definatly a 6430, I have a Colt claps stock, tube and bufer, cant wait to put them on mine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top