Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2005 9:48:57 AM EDT
I think it is time to upgrade the stock hanguards on my rifle.  What is out there, what is good and what should I look for? I do not want junk, but I do not want to dump a lot into these handguards.

My rifle:
I have a RRA M4 Tac Entry LEO/GOVT (US Property marked) with a RRA 6 Position Stock.  The barrel is chrome lined (shorty). I removed the RRA tac mount and mounted an EOtech and ARMS #40 directly onto the upper. I have a PRI Military latch mounted onto a steel charging handle. I also also running a Magpul improved trigger guard, which is awesome. I also recently installed a Vortex FH. I use all Center or OKAY 30 round LEO/GOVT mags with chrome silicon springs and green followers (I have the new magpul followers on the order list). I really like my overall setup, but have grown to dislike my handguard/vertical grip setup.

Right now, I have an AA accessory rail bolted onto the stock handguards. I use a Dieter CQD vertical grip and a GG&G Offset Tac Light mount onto this accessoiry rail. My handguard has some slop and play in it and it just feels weak and cheap.

So with this all said, what hanguards are good with rails built into them? Which are junk that I should stay away from? Do I want to find a rail that have 1, 2, 3, or 4 rails built into the handguards?

I would greatly appreciate any and all info on this topic.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like my Surefire M73, it was easy to install, and has t-marked etchings for position mounting of equipment, it also has drilled and threaded holes for sling adapters. They are fairly reasonable on the wallet but a little on the heavy side forthe weight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my YHM four-rail FF handguard.  Price is awesome, and it's solid as a rock.  I've not had problems putting anything on the rails (although some items have been a bit tight but not impossible to put on).

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I really like my Surefire M73, it was easy to install, and has t-marked etchings for position mounting of equipment, it also has drilled and threaded holes for sling adapters. They are fairly reasonable on the wallet but a little on the heavy side forthe weight.

I too like the quality and price of the surefire system...
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The KAC M4 RAS is proven. Also expensive, but hey, that's part of BRD.

Crappy pic of my setup with M4 RAS:
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the POF-USA Predator Rail system. Lightweight.  About $270 Delivered.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for KAC M4 RAS

Rock solid, and I love mine. They're spendy, but everynow and then you find one of those amazing deals like... 175 delivered for a slightly used M4 RAS /w all panels and vert grip

I think I waited a whole... 1 second before pulling out the CC on that one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
So pretty much anything that states "M4 Carbine" will be a direct 110% bolt on, correct?

Are the Surefire, KAC, and YHM, and other handguards all aluminum and not poly plastic (fiberglass?) like the stock handguards?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I run a KAC RIS on my M4gery, but if I could start all over, I would
buy a Samson MRF free-floater. Almost the same weight, but a continous
toprail & free floating barrel without a complicated mounting procedure!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What is meant by free floating? Are they better? Why? THANKS!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Free floating is when the handguards are not in contact with the barrel, increasing accuracy in certain instances.  If you're trying to put sling pressure on your barrel and making shots requiring a high level of precision, free floating may be for you.  But for most of us, it doesn't matter nearly as much.  My. $.02.

Springer
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I've tried  the aluminum  4-rail handguards cause they looked kewl.

But,after awhile decided it wasnt worth anything  cept photo ops.

Not to mention added weight,better off using Colt m4 handguards.

TG
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Another YHM user.....  I'm not a huge fan of the rails, but there is a time and place for them.

Since this quickly became a picture thread, here is a pic.

ETA-  I'm even posting a Colt pic this time, just for those special people who claim I'm a Clot hater.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The new Midwest Ind. railed HG's are coming soon... Nice fit & finish and T marked.. Good platform for the CQD and a light, etc. We tried a prototype and thought they were very nice.

dsgarms.com/images/products/migearwtmk.jpg

dsgarms.com/images/products/migear2wtmk.jpg

Can you define "soon"? Thanks, they look good!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else with the Surefire M73 care to comment on how they like it?
Good/Bad?

I have found a few used M73s for a fairly decent price.

I just want something that does not move, is rock solid with no slop/play.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I recently got the YHM 4 rail handguards (the non free-float style) for my Bushy.  I had no trouble installing them and they fit perfectly.  Bravo Company can get you a very nice price on these.  

They are very well ventilated and my barrel seems to cool down noticably faster now.  A nice little bonus there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]
YHM
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ETA-  I'm even posting a Colt pic this time, just for those special people who claim I'm a Clot hater.

Thats not AN AR-15 thats a fun gun, and I dont care what is stamped on the side of a m16 if its sitting in my safe

For the thread....Surefire are high quality , KAC RAS is awesome, I dont like the RAS 2 as much.  Get a tango down VFG and you won't have anymore wiggle than what you get from the upper/lower engagement.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Knights M4 RAS and KAC vertical grip on my LMT M4 16-inch upper. I also just installed a MI FSB tac light rails mount like on RustyTX's photo so that I will have more room for my hand when I grab the forend.

There are also 7-inch carbine size free floating rail systems available either installed with the barrel nut or some simpler two piece types, which mounts with machine screws to the barrel nut (requires removal or cutting the delta ring).

I would recommend the Samson or Troy which is the second type that I mentioned because it is easier to install. I have the Samson 9-inch mid size for my future Recon carbine build project. There are other good brands out there, just pick what you like.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Anyone else with the Surefire M73 care to comment on how they like it?
Good/Bad?

I have found a few used M73s for a fairly decent price.

I just want something that does not move, is rock solid with no slop/play.

I absolutely love my M73, they are rock solid and will not move, even people who don't like the M73 will tell you they are rock solid.  I highly recomend them.  They will be on every AR I build.
Get the M73, you will be happy you did!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Are the M73 free floating?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Are the M73 free floating?

Nope.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Knight's RAS.
The original Rail System, which all others should be judged by.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]
freefloat: Larue Tactical 7.0 (thats what I have)

non freefloat: KAC RAS
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Another YHM user.....  I'm not a huge fan of the rails, but there is a time and place for them.

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1107719169.jpg

Yes clots are to be hated! Can cause all kind of problems. Strokes, heart attacks, the list goes on............

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the info and input.

Right now, I am really heavily leaning towards the Surefire M73, since I have found several used M73s for sale that are going to be within my budget. I quickly realized how expensive the KAC, M73, YHM, and other handguards are priced brand new.

There seem to be a few used M73s on the EE boards and other sites online, that I will be able to afford. Since they are more readily available, hopefully this doesnt mean people are not happy with them! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I love my M73. You will too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1107719169.jpg

Your Larue mount is on backwards
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Has anybody tried the new rail system from GG&G?  Free floating AND two piece install without removing FSB sounds pretty good.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#33]
What specific YHM rails is everyone using? There seems to be alot of difference models.

They seem to have good prices, and they are brand new.

For the price of the new YHM , I can a used a M73.

Which is better and why? YHM or Surefire?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I see alot of the afrermarket hanguards are the two piece design, like my stock RRA handguards. I assume this is for ease of installation.

I also see alot of one piece handguards. How are these installed? I like the fact of having the one piece design over the two piece, but installation has me worried! Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#35]
If you buy your rail from Denny's and send them your upper they will install it and pay for shipping back to you.Larue or Daniels Defense would be my choice for Free Float.I have heard rumblings of Daniel Defense coming out with a two piece rail in a few months.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Compared to one piece handguards, two piece handguards allow easier installation and easier maintenance for the barrel's exterior.

Installation of one piece hanguards requires the removal of the muzzle device and the FSB. How easy or difficult this makes installation depends on whether your muzzle device is permanently attached or not and what kind of FSB you have. If you have a muzzle device that is just screwed on and a low profile gas block (in place of a folding or fixed front sight that is attached to the bbl), than installation will be very easy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Compared to one piece handguards, two piece handguards allow easier installation and easier maintenance for the barrel's exterior.

Installation of one piece hanguards requires the removal of the muzzle device and the FSB. How easy or difficult this makes installation depends on whether your muzzle device is permanently attached or not and what kind of FSB you have. If you have a muzzle device that is just screwed on and a low profile gas block (in place of a folding or fixed front sight that is attached to the bbl), than installation will be very easy.

I guess I am just concerned about having play in the 2 piece handguards, reguardless of the brnad name I end up with. To me, it just seems that 1 piece units will be solid, even though I have been told the 2 piece designs are solid.

Are the Surefire M73 units 2 piece? How are these aftermarket handguards so tight and solid compared to the stock handguards? What is different?

My rifle has a screw on Vortex. What is an FSB?

Can just about anyone install the 1 piece design handguards? Any special took required?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The new Midwest Ind. railed HG's are coming soon... Nice fit & finish and T marked.. Good platform for the CQD and a light, etc. We tried a prototype and thought they were very nice.

dsgarms.com/images/products/migearwtmk.jpg

dsgarms.com/images/products/migear2wtmk.jpg

Is it me or do these look like the Knights RAS?

What price are we talkin here?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What specific YHM rails is everyone using? There seems to be alot of difference models.

They seem to have good prices, and they are brand new.

For the price of the new YHM , I can a used a M73.

Which is better and why? YHM or Surefire?

I'm using the YHM 2 piece RAS very close in looks and fit to the KAC RAS. I think the YHM is a more solid fit and it can take the KAC rail panels. I had the KAC RAS awhile back but traded it for a ARMS SIR. Got the YH RAS for $115.00 at a fun show a month later. It's now on my patrol rifle. All the other deputies want one now!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#42]
quote]
I'm using the YHM 2 piece RAS very close in looks and fit to the KAC RAS. I think the YHM is a more solid fit and it can take the KAC rail panels. I had the KAC RAS awhile back but traded it for a ARMS SIR. Got the YH RAS for $115.00 at a fun show a month later. It's now on my patrol rifle. All the other deputies want one now!

This will also be going on my patrol carbine. Are the YHM 2 peice hanguards installed just like stock handguards with pulling back on the delta ring ,etc?

I have seen the YHM handguards on the EE boards for $105ish shipped and these are appealing to me, but i can also get some used M73s for about that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top