Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2005 3:49:45 PM EDT
I saw some M4 type rifles they had at the gun show. Finish and action looked pretty damn good, I thought I was looking at an armalite at first.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
High Standard? Used to make pretty nice .22 pistols back in the day. Like many gun makers, has been through several iterations since then. I think someone bought the name and/or company, and they're the ones making the AR's. Don't know jack about the rifles; they're pretty new.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I havea HighStandard Supermatic shotgun that I bird hunt with. It is real old (50's or 60's)era but still shoots good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I seriously doubt that the ARs labelled "High Standard" are built by the same company that made the pistols.  Somebody might have bought the rights to use the name, or more likely, are just using it w/o any permission.  With all the well established outfits making ARs in the same price range as these rifles, I really don't see any reason to buy what is essentially a no name piece and pay the same kind of bucks.

But my advice is free, and may well be worth only what you've paid for it
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a couple of High Standard rifles in shops.  Lower is marked High Standard, Houston, same as the .22 pistol people.  But the internals were all Colt marked!  Little "C" stamped in the hammer, etc.  Compared with a current Colt, the upper has identical forge markings.  Side by side, the HS was identical in fit and finish to the Colt, not surprising if the parts are coming from the same source.
I asked around and it seems that HS has been doing some amount of contract work for the military, and just decided to make some extra bucks from civilian sales.  That's not verifiable, but my source is knowledgeable and not one to make stuff up.

They must have just started shipping, because the rifle I saw in one shop Thursday had a three-digit serial number, and the two I saw in another shop this afternoon had TWO-digit serial numbers.
I'm going to try to scrape together the $799 tomorrow and buy #00031.

Although all the rifles I saw were in A2 configuration, a quick check on Gunbroker shows A2, A4 and M4 type setups.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top