Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT
I bought three new stag lowers that have a few tiny nicks on them. I'd like to try Aluminum Black to cover them up before I build the lowers. Has anyone ever used this stuff? If so, do you have to rince the lowers with water after putting the aluminum black on.

I'd appreciate it if you let me know what the results were and how you used the stuff
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used just cheapo flat black spray from Wal-Mart for touching up after a build.  Just spray a nickel-sized "glop" on some paper and touch up with a corner of a torn piece of paper or tooth pic, or whatever is handy.  I could honestly hardly tell where the touch-ups are located and I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to.  Just my 2 cents, but give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Aluminum Black is easy to use.  I simply use a Q-tip with alcohol to degrease the touch-up area then use another Q-tip with the aluminum black.  Give it a few quick coats to blend in the color, let it sit a moment or two then use the alcohol Q-tip to clean the area... use CLP on the area when you're finished...
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
works well, but you have to degrease and reapply several time for a black finish.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I used some last night on a front sight post that was nicked up by the jaws of my needle nose pliers (sucker is tough to turn!).  I sanded down the high spots, followed the directions as outlined above and got a great finish when I was done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used it on nicks in aluminum AR receivers with some success.  I never really get it to match, but it is better than bare aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
it works about half as well as it says on the package

same as everything else
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems to work pretty well for me... On small marks and dings anyway..
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried this stuff on two small nicks on a lower I just recieved. I used brake cleaner, rinsed the area, dried it, then used a q-tip with aluminm black on the nicks. It didn't do anything except making the area where I put the qtip shiny black, didn't blacken the nicks though, they are still bare aluminum. clp wont blend the shiny spot now. oh well... any other suggestions
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the birchwood casey black gun touch up pens.  Work great on Stag lowers.  I had a crap load of nicks on my first two lower builds
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use the birchwood casey black gun touch up pens.  Work great on Stag lowers.  I had a crap load of nicks on my first two lower builds

+1
Comes in gloss black or flat black.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to file down this KAC sling plate to get it to fit inside the lower receiver.  I touched it up, about 3 times before it looked black enough for me.   Other parts (i.e. castle nut) worked great with one application.   If I had that black pen that is in some of the catalogs, I guess that would make it a lot easier.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I use the birchwood casey black gun touch up pens. Work great on Stag lowers. I had a crap load of nicks on my first two lower builds
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1
Comes in gloss black or flat black.

I will try that. Does it match the color of the lower? Does it stand up to clp; i.e., would clp remove the paint once it has dried?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
it stands up to CLP for sure, but I haven't tried Hoppes 9 or any bore specific cleaner, not sure I ever would on a lower or barrel.  

the color does not match since the stag is a little gray.  it matches to ameetec and DPMS I have.  

I have used the pen on the delta rings, all around the lower, on the mag release button, and alot on the front sight base where I took it off to put on a free float tube.

the black is glossy until dry, then once you rub it with your finger or cloth it dulls up alot.  You can definitely tell I have gone over my stag builds extensively with the pen, but I love it, it is just to cover up the blemishes.  Once you take your gun to the range and run a few K rounds through it, you won't care, no matter if it's a factory gun, cause you are always going to nick up your gun.  Just like the scars and tattoos I have, my patchwork touched-up guns have character.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top