Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2005 6:18:20 PM EDT
When ever I put my head down and make a propper cheek weld and look at the front sight post it looks really crooked.  But as soon as I raise my head it's straight.  

Does this happen to anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
time for a low powered variable optic - don't feel bad, everyone hits that spot at some point in their life.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Long as I have my bifocals on, everything looks hunky-dory!
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
time for a low powered variable optic - don't feel bad, everyone hits that spot at some point in their life.

i'm only 20 ...  Maybe I should try it with my contacts in instead of my glasses.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm only 20 ...  Maybe I should try it with my contacts in instead of my glasses.

1)  Wear safety glasses before you become a statistic in an eye doctor's learnin' book.

2)  You may want to look into a smaller aperture, like I have been.  It may clear up blurriness and/or distortion as your eye focuses more.

- BG

Link Posted: 5/3/2005 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

1)  Wear safety glasses before you become a statistic in an eye doctor's learnin' book.

2)  You may want to look into a smaller aperture, like I have been.  It may clear up blurriness and/or distortion as your eye focuses more.

- BG

I always shoot wearing my oakleys at minimum.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a guy who makes rear sight lenses, I got one and it really helped.  

Bob Jones is his name.  I think.  He also makes AR sights.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is a guy who makes rear sight lenses, I got one and it really helped.  

Bob Jones is his name.  I think.  He also makes AR sights.  

hmm, i might have to look into that, but I'm going to give my contacts a shot first.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The same thing happens to me when wearing glasses instead of contacts.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

thats what I want to hear.  I just hope I never had to shoot without my contacts
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to have a similar problem. Try a smaller aperture. It won't be as suitable for "combat" conditions, but it'll make life on the range more bearable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats what I want to hear.  I just hope I never had to shoot without my contacts hr

Practice with both, you never know...
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I used to have a similar problem. Try a smaller aperture. It won't be as suitable for "combat" conditions, but it'll make life on the range more bearable.

weird thing is that the smaller aperture makes the problem worse.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When ever I put my head down and make a propper cheek weld and look at the front sight post it looks really crooked.  But as soon as I raise my head it's straight.  

Does this happen to anyone else?

You might want to try the KNS front sight and see if it makes a difference.

Link Posted: 5/4/2005 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Since you wear contacts/glasses I suggest you visit a optometrist that is knowledgable in the shooting sports.  I did and he made me a special prescription for my shooting glasses.

If you shoot with contacts be sure to wear some kind of protection, EYE protection that is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Since you wear contacts/glasses I suggest you visit a optometrist that is knowledgable in the shooting sports.  I did and he made me a special prescription for my shooting glasses.

If you shoot with contacts be sure to wear some kind of protection, EYE protection that is.

You'll need to get a prescription tailored for near vision so you can see the front sight better.  If you want to go the bifocal route, check out DeCot Hy-Wides.  They put the bifocal portion in the upper half of the lens so it works better when shooting irons.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1  You are doomed. It's the ONLY way.  

Although my EoTech is not a magnified optic, it works well also.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#17]
WEIRD!  I have near sightedness, but when I look thru the small app, the sight becomes CLEAR!  w00t!
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Pinholes work as lenses, so the smaller the aperature the more likely you'll see some distortion.  Get a rear aperature just right (though much smaller than anything you're likely to ever use), and everything you'll see in it will be upside down.

Are you using a nose-to-charging handle cheekweld?
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Pinholes work as lenses, so the smaller the aperature the more likely you'll see some distortion.  Get a rear aperature just right (though much smaller than anything you're likely to ever use), and everything you'll see in it will be upside down.

yep, stock set on the second notch.  I looked through it again today and it was as bad, weird.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, stock set on the second notch.  I looked through it again today and it was as bad, weird.

Zero it best you can with irons, then get your self an aimpoint. Nothing against Eotech, but I wear lenses and Eotech looks really fuzzy for me. AImpoint/acog are crystal clear. ML3/M3 is better now with 3moa dot and 50,000 hour batt life.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Zero it best you can with irons, then get your self an aimpoint. Nothing against Eotech, but I wear lenses and Eotech looks really fuzzy for me. AImpoint/acog are crystal clear. ML3/M3 is better now with 3moa dot and 50,000 hour batt life.

I have an A1 upper so i'm most likely going to get a compact ACOG, but it's going to be a while before I save up enough for it.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]
What you need is a lense with a - or + correction. Bob Jones can indeed help you with this as he makes lense inserts for his hooded apertures for AR-15's. He also makes similar for M1-A sights. The lense screw into the aperture and are also service rifle legal for competition. Our sight normally starts to degrade at about age 40, and what you need is a larger not smaller aperture which will let in more light. Your eyes start out like high quality optics such as leupolds or Swarovski's and as you age you end up with Tasco's LOL, older eyes need more light. It would help to determine which correction you need, you can do this by focusing on the target (ideally a bullseye) and seeing if the front sight is more of a blur or the bull. The lenses are available in different amounts of correction. Bob use to have a deal where he would hit your credit card, send you all the available lenses so you can determine which one you need, after you do, you send him the remaining ones back and he will credit you card. Bobs a nice guy and will help you out. http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html or give Bob a call at 602 840 2176 Hope this helps you.

F.A.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
when i have my glasses on (i'm near sighted), everything's fine with me...without them, i could still maybe take down a guy but everything past about a foot is blurry so....yeah
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#24]
take a no. 2 pencil and but a mark on the front sight facing you. see what happens. Nothing fancy just a diangonal mark will do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Try the pencil mark on the front sight.  It sounds like what some Highpower Competition shooters go through.  Its where you are focusing on the target instead of the front sight post.  If you focus on the target instead of the post, the post becomes VERY out of focus.  If you focus on the front sight post, it should remain clear and you can see the target but not as detailed as looking directly at the target.

The pencil mark on the sight post will help your eye/s focus on the sight post instead of the target.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not having a problem focusing on the sight post at all. Its that the sight post is becoming distorted.  The problem goes away when i open both eyes or stick my eye damn near on the apeture.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Why would you not have both eyes open?
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#28]
50-100yard shooting isn't that great with both eyes open.  But that's jsut me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I shoot competitively with both eyes open from 10 meters out to 600 yards.  You need to always shoot with both eyes open.  If you need to train yourself make a blinder for your off-eye.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I shoot competitively with both eyes open from 10 meters out to 600 yards.  You need to always shoot with both eyes open.  If you need to train yourself make a blinder for your off-eye.

I'll give it a shot.  I just have a hard time keeping the front post in the rear apeture because it completely blurs out when i open up my left eye.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give it a shot.  I just have a hard time keeping the front post in the rear apeture because it completely blurs out when i open up my left eye.

That's how it should be.  You look through the rear aperture, not at it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's how it should be.  You look through the rear aperture, not at it.

ok, i'll give it a shot next week when i hit the range.  Thank you
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm only 20 and wearing my BCGs I still notice that the front sight tends to blur, especially when shooting at the mil-spec "zero target" and 25 m qual targets, which have solid black silohouettes (sp?).  I just learn to deal with it and focus primarily on the target itself, then guide the front sight post in from the side.  Shot expert last saturday just fine, and expert back in the fall too.....
If all else fails use "burst", but the SGTs don't like that too much
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Also, i HAVE to shoot with my glasses when i do precision work; the contacts make everything all blurry.  I still shoot my pistols with contacts, since if i have to defend myself chances are i'll be wearing contacts and not my glasses.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the same problem, so as money allows I'm transitioning to optics.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Try the contacts -- the problem will likely disappear.  I suspect this is an issue related to astigmatism and/or failure to look through the optical center of the corrective lenses ( which you won't be able to do since when you shoot in position you'll be looking through the upper corner of your lenses -- not the center ).

As a near sighted High Power competitor I can tell that you contacts suck, but they beat the alternative ( Knoblochs or Champion shooting glasses ).

HTH,

Greg
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try the contacts -- the problem will likely disappear.  I suspect this is an issue related to astigmatism and/or failure to look through the optical center of the corrective lenses ( which you won't be able to do since when you shoot in position you'll be looking through the upper corner of your lenses -- not the center ).

As a near sighted High Power competitor I can tell that you contacts suck, but they beat the alternative ( Knoblochs or Champion shooting glasses ).

HTH,

Greg

I have a very slight astigmatism and has never caused me any problems until now.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Man...Im 17 and I'm having the same problems!

I wear glasses, and when I shoot my M4gery, the front sight post becomes blurry...
If I take off my glasses, the target is blurry but he Front Sight is crystal clear...( I cant see long ranges without my glasses)
Maybe I should get a pair of Bi-Focals?
Or get an Aimpoint+Carry handle mount and gooseneck?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Do you wear ear phones for hearing protection or ear plugs? I have found that glasses + ear phones = blurriness. I have found that this problem does not occur with just plugs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Not to Insult, But how is your health.  I expeirienced high blood presure, and it blurred my vision when sighting in.  To correct, I lost weight, exercised, and I drink two to three cups of Herbal tea a day(Ecanacea & GoldenSeal).  The tea greatly improved my vision, But I waited too long to correct the health problem, and now have some minor permanant damage to my right eye.  At this point I am considering an optic device for my rifle shooting, and night sights for my handguns.  I am also considering changing from right hand to left hand shooting.( I do wear glasses and contact lenses)

Good luck, I hope this condition of yours is not health related.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Try as I might I can't shoot worth a damn with both eye's open.  I have a dominance problem maybe because with both eyes open I get:

a.) Focus on front sight and double image of target.

b.) Focus on target and double image of front sight.

I can't get one set of sights and target without one eye closed.

I can't deal with the ghost image and I get distracted.  I know I'm supposed to have them both open just can't get past that.  Unless I plan to have a pirate patch with me at all times, I'll have to close my left eye.

ETA:  With my EOTech I can do it, but I shoot more accurately long range with just the right eye.  My left eye doesn't focus close in as well and adds a little blur to the central dot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Try as I might I can't shoot worth a damn with both eye's open.  I have a dominance problem maybe because with both eyes open I get:

a.) Focus on front sight and double image of target.

b.) Focus on target and double image of front sight.

I can't get one set of sights and target without one eye closed.

I can't deal with the ghost image and I get distracted.  I know I'm supposed to have them both open just can't get past that.  Unless I plan to have a pirate patch with me at all times, I'll have to close my left eye.

ETA:  With my EOTech I can do it, but I shoot more accurately long range with just the right eye.  My left eye doesn't focus close in as well and adds a little blur to the central dot.

I have the same problem. I can't even look through binoculars or a microscope with both eyes. They fight over everything. My eothingie should be getting here in a few hours...will be interesting to see how it behaves 1 eye vs 2.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#43]
It's not that I can't focus on the front sight post.  The problem is that sometimes the post distorts and looks like it's curved.  

As far as my health, I have normal blood pressure and all that good stuff.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not to Insult, But how is your health.  I expeirienced high blood presure, and it blurred my vision when sighting in.  To correct, I lost weight, exercised, and I drink two to three cups of Herbal tea a day(Ecanacea & GoldenSeal).  The tea greatly improved my vision, But I waited too long to correct the health problem, and now have some minor permanant damage to my right eye.  At this point I am considering an optic device for my rifle shooting, and night sights for my handguns.  I am also considering changing from right hand to left hand shooting.( I do wear glasses and contact lenses)

Good luck, I hope this condition of yours is not health related.

Well, Im 6'2" 230lbs... I know im overweight and should be around 200lbs.
Though I do alot of work over the summer, and Winter(Haying, Landscaping, Logging, etc) and im getting a membership at a gym.
As for high blood pressure, Im fine for a 17 year old...

Im going to ask my Eye Doctor what he thinks, and Maybe get some contacts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Eotech got here and I installed it and was somewhat disappointed, yet not surprised. The sight works fairly well one eyed..slightly blurry but I attribute that to the laser, and that light effect you get with them, not the sight itself. Two eyed, I can't even tell the dot from the ring it gets so outta whack. It's okay though, I'm used to one eye shooting anyway. Range test for the Eothingie tomorrow.. Can't wait.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top