Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2005 6:25:45 AM EDT
I had a reproduction defense eagle stamp made, and I'm just trying to get some feedback on the prototype and if there is enough demand to sell them on the EE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/morrie419/100_1345.jpg

I was trying to be sloppy, but I think it still came out TOO nice.  It's off center on purpose, to give it that "govt" look.   I used white lacquer paint (model type), and should be removeable with thinner if it needs to be redone.

This was originally for my A1 build (with Colt-653's receiver when they are ready), but I thought I'd offer it up to everyone.  

I also wanted it to be distinguishable from an original, just in case someone gets any funny ideas.  They will be made to order, cost should be about $15 shipped.

***See updated pic below ***

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll buy one, Morrie.
Malysh
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely sign me up!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just looking at that proofmarking last night and wondering about using it on an AR.  Small world.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
looks good, keep us up to date
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#5]
looks good.........damn near a pretty close match to the real one. EAGLE ARMS stamped their lowers with a repro but they put 3 circles above the eagle instead of starts, so it couldn't be confused with a real one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Try not to press so hard to leave more paint under the rubber, so it doesn't come out quite so black in the shape.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:It's off center on purpose, to give it that "govt" look.  

Funny because it's true.

Dumb question, but are M16's marked with this?  I've never seen it on any that I've handled.  And I've handled one's in use by USMC.  

C97
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks pretty cool.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:It's off center on purpose, to give it that "govt" look.  

Funny because it's true. h
C97

I was in the army 1985-88, and we had A1's made by Hydramatic and H&R that had them on the right side of the magwell.  I stayed in the ARNG from '88-'93 with A1's as well.  Another member told me that newer rifles had it on the front of the magwell.   My copy of "The Black Rifle" hasn't been delivered yet for reference.  But I was doing this for my pending A1 build.

I just removed the stamps and re-did them, with less paint and lighter to the touch, I'll try and post a pic.

OK,  here's a re-stamp, lighter on the paint, and a lighter touch.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/morrie419/100_1362.jpg
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in, Morrie!  Nice job!

My XM177 in the early 80's was stamped on the right-side of the mag well.  I'm redoing an XM on a Colt SP1 receiver.  It's SBR'ed to my friend, but I bought it from him and am pending approval.

In the meantime while waiting on approval, he is allowing me to re-work it the way I want.  I'm getting it rebarrelled with a Colt barrel and an XM moderator from WA Tom.  Then when it is approved - It's coming home to Papa!  The stamp will look good on it.

Keep me posted,

uxb
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Dumb question, but are M16's marked with this?  I've never seen it on any that I've handled.  And I've handled one's in use by USMC.  

C97

That's because they always gave us sloppy seconds for equipment! The Army got their equipment first.

These paint stamps are not made to be durable. They are a quality control symbol used to be a quick visual check that a rifle or carbine has passed govt. inspection.

How long do we think a painted on symbol would last in the field, in training, on the KD course, etc. etc. ??

Anyway, I told Morrie I'm in for one cause they are cool.

Malysh
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Hydramatic M16 that had a Defence stamp, a H&R M16A1 with the stamp, and a Colt  XM177 with the stamp.  Haven't seen one in some time.

The paint was some type of lacquer that was impervious to solvent, but would fade with wear.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Count me in..
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had a Hydramatic M16 that had a Defence stamp, a H&R M16A1 with the stamp, and a Colt  XM177 with the stamp.  Haven't seen one in some time.

The paint was some type of lacquer that was impervious to solvent, but would fade with wear.

interesting, I had both hydramatic and H&R M16s and neither had that stamp.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

interesting, I had both hydramatic and H&R M16s and neither had that stamp.

I don't think I saw a Colt until we got the A2's in Feb. '88.....and I wasn't paying attention if it had stamps. Too bad, because they were brand-spanking new.  I don't know if any weapons since the A1's had the stamp.   Heck,  everything in my basement is getting stamped....ammo cans....tools, it looks cool on a magazine also, farby as it may be.

The stamps will wear off, but the beauty of OWNING the stamp makes you not care.  Just re-stamp at will.

I'm using model lacquer based paint, I think I'll look around for something more durable, maybe some atuomotive touch up paint or something.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My Hydramatics, H&Rs, and XMs dated from at least pre-1977 which is when I recived my first.

Not sure about later iterations, but they were there and i was amazed that cleaning solvent seemed not to phase them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember seeing these on our M16A2's in the Corps.

Oddly, I was thinking about these stamps today for some reason.  Then, I come to check out ARFCOM this morning only to find this thread!

I'm in if they're made for sale.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like one also. LMK
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
i might be interested in the near future...anyone know if these were put on M16A1's in Vietnam? and also, how exaclty do you get these stamps off?
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I've stamped the receiver twice already.   I use paint thinner to take it off (also preps the surface).  It is by no means on there forever.  Unless you use some weird epoxy paint cut with super-glue or something.  

Also,  for AR builders that sell their rifles,  I could customize the stamp, use your initials above the eagle instead of stars, etc.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in, Morrie, as I told you in the other thread. This is really the ultimate accessory for an "Oldie" build! I'll be using it on the old XM177E2 clone that I built in '89 (my very first build) and the upcoming 604 I'm working on, as well as some other oldies that are still in the planning stage. Knowing that there are slabside and M16-style lowers coming from American Spirit and MEGA sure opens up the imagination!

Then I might slip it to my kid so his guys can stamp all theirs. I'd love to see the faces in their arms room-- but only a few of the older guys would even know what they were looking at. Probably get someone in trouble, too-- can't have that.

Hey UXB, if you can do SBRs, how much more hassle would it be to get WA-Tom to clone you a fer-reals XM moderator? It would transfer as a silencer-- damn, I sure wish they'd let us do it here in Washington!
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I am still in for one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Guys.   When I'm ready for "official" orders,  I'll post on the EE.  I'll also IM everyone on the two threads.

It's completely wrong, maybe even farby,  but the stamp on a magazine looks cool............hopefully I won't get carried away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Count me in, My DAS is worn off of my ArmaLite
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I’d love to have one of those stamps…

Just for reference, I took this pic the other day of a rifle the Air Force has in service right now. It appears to be an original Colt M16 that the Air Force has turned into an A2 varmint; it has the A2 upper receiver, a 20-inch government profile barrel and is a three round burst weapon. The selector markings had also been remarked on both sides of the lower receiver as Safe Semi and Burst.

Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quote from DuctTapeMan:

Hey UXB, if you can do SBRs, how much more hassle would it be to get WA-Tom to clone you a fer-reals XM moderator? It would transfer as a silencer-- damn, I sure wish they'd let us do it here in Washington!

Yes, Tom does the repro NFA-moderators, however they only reduce the sound level down to that of a 20" M16 to hide that fact that Special Forces were operating in the area.  Firing one indoors still causes permanent damage and I am clinically deaf in my left ear (I shoot right-handed, the left ear ends up closest to the muzzle).  

House-to-house in a combat zone sucks and definitely shooting a 10" XM in an enclosed space as opposed to jungle environment ups the suck factor.

While I would like to have a true XM moderator (I've seen the cut-away display models for sale) I can't justify the few decibels of sound suppression.  Probably will just go with a Knight or GemTech for my LMT M4 instead.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#29]
OK,  I'm ready to take orders..........watch the EE (misc AR15)  either tonight or Friday.

Thanks Guys.

Morrie419
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I've added a new stamp for the early rifles.  EE ad was updated as well.  As pictured in The Black Rifle,  pages 234 and 335.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Can you post a picture of the stamp itself?  Will it be a metal die that we can stamp our receivers with a hammer or something?  Count me in!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Schmeghead,

It's just a rubber stamp using paint or white ink,  and it makes no permanent marks into the metal whatsoever.   If it wears off, you simply re-stamp it.

Morrie
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Morrie,
I forgot to drop you a note and thank you for the stamp. It works great and looks even better.
Thanks again for the awesome stamp.
Steve
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Tat2steve,

Glad you liked it.  Thanks for the business.

Greg (Morrie)
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#36]
tag for later
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Got my stamp the other day. It looks great.

My beat up little Bushmaster A2 will be the first to get marked on the front of the magwell.

Thanks Greg.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top