Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2005 6:42:35 PM EDT
Not to start a flame war by any means, but have any rifles since the M-16 that weren't copying the M-16 used a direct gas system?  I don't recall any other militaries using direct gas powered rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The French first started playing with it in 1900 and it was a staple of MAS autoloading rifle designs from 1926 onwards.  But no........it is not something other designers copy from the M16 series..........
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe because they don't want a rifle that functionally "Sh*ts where it eats"

I don't really know. Maybe the M16/AR15 design is too expensive to produce in third world countries.

NOTICE ALL THE MAYBE'S.......I don't know.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't recall any other militaries using direct gas powered rifles.

Lot of militaries do - they bought M16s
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not to start a flame war by any means, but have any rifles since the M-16 that weren't copying the M-16 used a direct gas system?  I don't recall any other militaries using direct gas powered rifles.

Direct gas sucks. Fouling makes the weapon harder to clean and less reliable. This is why you dont see the direct gas system copied much, if at all.

The AR15 just happens to get enough right to outweigh the negatives of direct gas...mostly
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
They dont use dellayed roller locker systems in non HK weapons either but that does not make it a bad system.

Direct gas mean precision engineering is required and CLEAN burning ammo is required.  This is not available in many parts of the world.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They dont use dellayed roller locker systems in non HK weapons either but that does not make it a bad system.

Direct gas mean precision engineering is required and CLEAN burning ammo is required.  This is not available in many parts of the world.

well said.

IBTL

3 pages.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#8]
they are not as smart as Eugene Stoner
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top