Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2005 11:23:18 AM EDT
what should be the minimun spare items you should keep on hand for your AR?
such as : firing pin
               gas tube
               springs ect.???
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#1]
See my post here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=333496

Same question different day.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If you buy another AR you will have the most complete spare parts set available.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what should be the minimun spare items you should keep on hand for your AR?
such as : firing pin
               gas tube
               springs ect.???

Absolute minimum:
Complete Spare bolt.
Firing pin.
Firing pin retaining pin (2)
Cam Pin.
Fire control pin (hammer /trigger pin)

If your taking the stuff with you.  At home I'd also have a spare gas tube and gas tube pin.

(this is minium IMHO).
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I know this is a "when SHTF" kind of kit, but how often do you need a complete spare bolt?  It just seems like an expensive part to just have a spare.  About how often do they fail if anybody has maybe a ballpark figure?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on Mr_Wilson's Bushy kit from the other thread. It's an excellent value for the money.

A spare rifle is the best "spare parts kit", but if they both break you'll still need some spares

It doesn't take long (or much money) to have a comprehensive spares kit that can handle anything.

Here's my small parts kit. It contains enough parts to completely rebuild a couple of lowers, as well as deal with other problems:

Larger parts, like buffers, buffer springs and bolt/carrier groups are kept in a different box. This box was less than $4.00 at Wal-Mart, and it works perfectly for me.

I only have a couple hundred bucks invested in these parts. Many of them came from extra lower parts kits, and parts that I've replaced (like triggers) with updated components.

There are a lot of guys here like Stickman for example who use their ARs for work. Consequently, their spare parts kits are far more comprehensive than mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
but how often do you need a complete spare bolt?  It just seems like an expensive part to just have a spare.  About how often do they fail if anybody has maybe a ballpark figure?

Not just for 'SHTF' but for anytime, shooting at the range or taking a class.

A spare bolt can solve many problems in near zero time.

Having extraction issues?  Ejection Issues?  Gas rings worn down to the point you're short stroking?

Pop in the new bolt and your running again less than 30 seconds later.  I don't want to be wasting the time trying to install new parts on my bolt when I'm at the range.  Ever try to change an ejector spring?  PITA at home - I'd hate to do it at the range.

Later when I'm home I can call up Fulton and order a new set of rings, or an ejector spring etc if I don't happen to have them in my spare parts kit.

Yes I've had to replace each of the previously mentioned parts at some time - glad I didn't waste my range time screwing with it and just dropped in the spare bolt.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pop in the new bolt and your running again less than 30 seconds later.  I don't want to be wasting the time trying to install new parts on my bolt when I'm at the range.  Ever try to change an ejector spring?  PITA at home - I'd hate to do it at the range.

This is particularly great advice when taking a carbine class too BloodSport.

When you're paying good money for professional instruction the very last thing you'll want is to be screwing around replacing gas rings or something on the ready line. You can simply pop in a new assembly and continue on with the class
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top