Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2005 5:19:15 PM EDT
I went shooting today with my Bushmaster and my ruger mini-14.  I was shooting mostly winchester white box in my Bushmaster, which worked great, and Barnaul Wolf type laquer cased ammo in the mini 14, just because I don't really like shooting it in my AR.  I couldn't help to notice that the Barnaul was causing a HUGE yellow orange fireball from the muzzle of the Mini 14, which had a bare muzzle with no flash suppressor.  As it got closer to dark, the more noticeable the fireball became.  I decided to break down and try the Barnaul in my 14.5 barrel Bushmaster with a permanently attached phantom, just to see how well it supressed the flame.  There was absolutley NO flash whatsoever with the phantom, not even a noticable spark from the barrell.  Even when rapid firing, there was no noticeable flash.  When I shot the same ammo rapidly from the mini-14, I couldn't even see the target because the flash was blocking my field of view.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, I allways wondered if they worked as well as Vortex. Guess so now!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
My old-school phantom (4 slots all the way around) reduced Wolf to a few sparks on my 14.5" M4.  Good enough for me, considering I get a basketball-sized fireball out of my bare Mini-14 barrel.  One of these days I'm going to take all the rifles out in the dark and do some open-shutter flash tests.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My YHM-29 Phantom (5 ports all the way around, no serrations) on my 14.5" BM works just as well.  Most of the time no flash or anything.  Maybe 20% of time there's a spark or two.

I've never seen a single spark out of my older Vortex (G4?), so I wouldn't say they work equally well.

Ammo of course has some affect on the potential amount of flash to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't say it works as good as a vortex, but it does do a good job
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Its amazing how well they supress flash.  Those are some nice photos RolandofGilead.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Every time I see pics like those I remember how much I like A2's for the money.  Granted I tend to shoot in the light of day...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up my Bushmaster Carbine with PhantonII.  Have yet to fire it but by the looks of this thread,  I picked the right suppressor.  Thanks for the pics!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top