Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2005 11:59:10 AM EDT
I just bought my 1st AR-15 this past weekend.  It is a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S (20" barrel A2 version).  I was playing with it and noticed that I could not put the safety selector lever on safe unless I cocked the weapon first.  I do not recall having to do that on my M16A2 I had while in the Marines.  Is this normal?

Also, I have to forcibly push a loaded magazine in to the rifle before it locks in.  Again is this normal?  I assume this should get easier once I break the weapon in, right?  What I haven't tried is to loosen the mag catch.  I guess I should try that.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes to all the above.

Normal is good.

Except loosening the mag catch.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As above, it's normal. Try the mag drill with USGI mags, should work smoothly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
remember the function check you did a bazillion times in bootcamp? remember how you charged it, then put the weapon on safe? totally normal.

ETA: DAMN my slow stupid fingers!!! I always get beat....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Ooh-rah!  I kind'a figured that, but wanted to ask the experts... h.gif  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you didn't finger your favorite girl enough while in the Corps to know how her switch worked...............
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I do not recall having to do that on my M16A2 I had while in the Marines.

You had to - most people just don't recall the small things like that.

Is this normal?

Yes

Also, I have to forcibly push a loaded magazine in to the rifle before it locks in.  Again is this normal?

1) Do not loosen the magazine catch - it is not the problem.

2) What kind of magazines were you using?  Cheap magazines, plastic magazines, and worn out USGI magazines can bulge when full and make insertion tough.

If you have some new USGI magazines try them.  If they are still hard to insert - then call up Bushmaster.  It's rare, but sometimes rifles with tight magazine wells get by QC.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, its harder to seat a mag. with the bolt shut as opposed to open.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
"Also, its harder to seat a mag. with the bolt shut as opposed to open."

That I DO remember from my time in the Corps.

One other thing that comes to the surface...scraping carbon off the bolt with stripper clips...works like a charm!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"Also, its harder to seat a mag. with the bolt shut as opposed to open."
That I DO remember from my time in the Corps.
One other thing that comes to the surface...scraping carbon off the bolt with stripper clips...works like a charm!

Spoken like a true (ARFCOM) veteran!!

welcome aboard, mortalis.

Helping a brother out is a universal thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
sounds ok to me
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sounds like you didn't finger your favorite girl enough while in the Corps to know how her switch worked...............

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The mags I have are a 30 rnd'er I got with my Bushy and an England 30 rnd'er.

With the bolt locked to the rear, the mags go in like I recall.  I just don't remember having to slap the bottom of a mag to lock it into place on my A2.  But come to think of it, she was a loose...just the way I like my women.

If it continues to be like this after I fire off 500 rounds or so, then I think there might be a problem.

"My days of finger-banging ole' Mary Jane Rotten Crotch through her purty pink panties are over.  I am married to this weapon of iron and wood plastic.  And I will be faithful!"
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just don't remember having to slap the bottom of a mag to lock it into place on my A2.  

If that is the issue (i.e. you are having a hard time locking the magazine into place with the bolt closed) that is not uncommon.  It's particularly noticable with new magazines that are fully loaded - older magazines (worn springs) or magazines with 28 rounds or so are much easier to lock into place with the bolt closed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Ill second Forest. I have an olympic arms with the same problem. After trying a gazillion different mags I came to realize that the problem was not the mags but the mag well. So much for quality control!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Next you'll say that the gun won't shoot until its cocked or that the gun stops shooting after 30rds....

BISHOP
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not leave the weapon in a "Rack Safe " configurationfor storage in your safe?  The old theory of checking the weapon is clear, letting the bolt go forward, palcing it on fire and then pulling the trigger.  This will also release the tension on the springs.

Just my two cents worth!

Scorpion34 OUT!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why not leave the weapon in a "Rack Safe " configurationfor storage in your safe?  The old theory of checking the weapon is clear, letting the bolt go forward, palcing it on fire and then pulling the trigger.  This will also release the tension on the springs.

Just my two cents worth!

Scorpion34 OUT!

This is how I do it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top