Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 10:44:44 PM EDT
 If i'm under 21, and i can't even buy pistol ammo; could i still own a pistol caliber AR?rifle?

Thanx, NightWolf
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on your state you can own a pistol, just not buy it or the ammo.

Probably again a state regulation, but my understanding is the 9mm AR is a rifle so you must be over 18 to own it. Getting ammo will be tricky because it is "pistol ammo".

And now we get to why the legislation is so stupid, "pistol" ammo doesn't mean it can't be fired from a carbine. I think your only problem would be ammo would be a pain to get ahold of.

But I'm not a lawyer. I think you'd still be okay though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in my state I was told one time by a clerk that if I told him the pistol ammo was for a rifle then I would be able to buy it. That was before I was 21. It was about a year ago. Probably varies state to state.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
oklahoma is same way if it for rifle you can buy pistol ammo
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I had bough an AR 9mm carbine when was 18.
When I needed ammo I just brought it with me in a soft case to a small gun shop and said in my most innocent voice, "I need ammo for this rifle my dad gave me".

Then I unzipped the case and they looked at it and told me that it shot 9mm and that it was $100 a thousand or $6.50 a box of 50.
I successfully purchased ammo from them so I just kept going to the same place.
I usually tried to get 1,000 rnds at a time, if I had the money.

In AZ it is illegal to purchase, from an ffl, a handgun or ammo intended for use in a handgun while under the age of 21.
By explaining it was to be used in my rifle the ammo became intended for rifle use.

Funny thing was it worked just fine in my 9mm pistol too.
My father purchased my pistol and I got it for my 18th b-day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Just point it at the cashier and say in your man voice

"GIVE ME ALL YOUR BULLETS!"

thats how i did it...

j/k

get a bum off the street to buy it for you, let him pose as your dad.  DON'T let him out of your sight with your money in his hands though....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Here in VA you can have the pistol caliber AR AND you can buy the ammo to go with it BUT when they ask you whether this will be used in a pistol or a rifle make sure you say rifle and all will be well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
You shouldn't have a problem if it's for a rifle.

That's what I told them when I was buying it for my pistol at 20, and I never had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Sweet! Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#9]
If you got to Walmart and pay for it at the regular registers not in sporting goods, they will just ask you if it is for pistol or rifle.  

You should n't have any problems.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top