Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 1:11:24 PM EDT
I have a Rock River Arm's "AR-15 A2 Tasc Rifle". I was going to change the configuration to RRA's "UTE2" upper receiver assembly. I want to keep my iron sights but I want them to be in the lower 1/4 or 1/3 half of the EOTech sight when looking through the sight. RRA makes the "UTE2" to work with the EOTech sight, but the iron sights will be "in line" with the "dot" on the EOTech, meaning I'll be looking at the iron sights and the "dot" at the same time. I don't think I will like this.
The tech at RRA told me the only way for me to have the iron sights in the lower 1/4 or 1/3 half of the sight is to use a standard "A4" upper assembly with RRA's" Dominator EOTech Mount". I'll still have to look through the rear sight even with this setup. Is there anyway I can set it up to work the way I want or not?  

Here is RRA's web sight with all the parts I'm talking about  www.rockriverarms.com
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure you want the sight picture you described,  I'll try to explain.  I have an LMT complete upper.  As you probably know it is mil spec and has a GI spec front sight tower as does Colt ( in other words it's higher than BM, not sure on RRA).  I have an LMT rear BUIS which is a cut down A2 sight.  Right in front of the BUIS is an EoTech 552.  With this set up and sighted in for 50 yards, the red dot of the EoTech sits right on top of the front sight post:  cowitnessed.  Sighting with both eyes open, using the large aperture gives one very fast target acquisition and the sight picture is not at all cluttered.  If one uses the small aperture, you are more conscious of the aperture but it's not distractive.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be a bit confused by the back and forth of the RRA terminology, NY Hunter, but if I do understand the question- and a lot of folks ask about the RRA uppers and the co-witnessing of optics- I think you can use a riser to bring that dot up.

To go the other way- lower the red dot- I thing the smith is right-- you need to swap upper receivers

It isn't that big a deal, nor is it expensive.

Hang around a while and I am sure your picture will clear up with all the talent around here.

Welcome to the site,

BTW: you may want to check this out.....Optics/ BUIS thread
and specifically, this......Click here
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]

The tech at RRA told me the only way for me to have the iron sights in the lower 1/4 or 1/3 half of the sight is to use a standard "A4" upper assembly with RRA's" Dominator EOTech Mount". I'll still have to look through the rear sight even with this setup. Is there anyway I can set it up to work the way I want or not?

No, that is not true.  If you use the RRA Dominator or the LaRue QD riser mount you will not have to look thru the iron sights, you look OVER them.

So the Dominator will work the way you want.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If you still want to get the UTE2 upper, and want the irons in the bottom 1/3rd, I think the Larue QD mount might fit the bill because the rail portion of the UTE2 upper is supposed to be the same height as the standard flattop.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.
I went and reconfigured the setup two ways using the info you guys gave me. This is what I came up with.

RRA's "UTE2"  upper assembly, LaRue QD mount and a EOTech HOLOSight model 512 = $659

RRA's "A4" upper assembly, RRA's Dominator mount and a EOTech HOLOSight model 512 = $595

$64 isn't going to be the determining factor. Which one of these two setups would you go with and why?

Again thanks a lot for the replies!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ???h.gif
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally I'd get the A4, Larue and BUIS. Thats the setup I have and I like it. THe QD function of the Larue is nice. The dominator wouldn't be bad either though. I don't like the looks of the ute2 myself.
Personal preference...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.... I'll still have to look through the rear sight even with this setup. ...

No you don't.

If you look over the rear sight you'll still be able to use the optic with no problem.

Personally I'm a fan of the LaRue option - but you should check to see if the LaRue will fit on the rail of the UTE2.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a lot guys! If anyone else has anything to offer please do !!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top