Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 9:11:39 AM EDT
Is anyone running a 20" A2 upper with a railed HG?  If so I'd like to see some pics.  I mostly see A4 uppers with a 12" rail HG, but I'm considering putting a KAC M5 on my Colt 20" A2 HBAR and would like to see how they look and work.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I see that YHM also makes a 2-piece rifle length rail HG and they are alot cheaper than KAC, anyone using one?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Look for all the current A4 discussions. The A4 is a flat-top 20 inch with the KAC M5 RAS.

I have a set of the 20" YHM rails on my dissy. I like them. I know there are a couple of M4 builds on this site that use the YHM rails as well.

Oh, and on an HBAR, that thing is gonna be nose heavy with an M5 on it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Here... pretend its a 20 inch....

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
What I was mainly trying to find out was if anyone else was running a rail HG on a 20" A2 upper, I'm thinking about trying it out but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time.  I thought I saw some military photos with a M16 A2 using a KAC M5 somewhere?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What I was mainly trying to find out was if anyone else was running a rail HG on a 20" A2 upper, I'm thinking about trying it out but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time.  I thought I saw some military photos with a M16 A2 using a KAC M5 somewhere?

I saw one like that in the American Rifleman a year or so ago. They had an issue on US Military weapons. There was an A2 (or at least an A4 with the carry handle in place) sporting an M5. You could see the rail cover on the top rail.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Lancelot-  Nice rifle!  While I was browsing these forums I saw a couple pics of it and saved them for later drooling I was wondering something that you might know.  I see those YHM's have a threaded hole for a sling stud, have you ever tried attaching a Harris type bipod to it?  It seems like it might be wierd with half the bipod under the handguards and the other half sticking out, I was wondering if it fit right and worked well?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks Lancelot, that was one concern I had.  I think I may be better off building another AR in a A4 configuration using a Gov't profile barrel to help keep the weight down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I think someone here has a 20" A2 with a DD 12.0 in place of the handguard.  If I run across the pic I will post it here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lancelot-  Nice rifle!  While I was browsing these forums I saw a couple pics of it and saved them for later drooling

I was wondering something that you might know.  I see those YHM's have a threaded hole for a sling stud, have you ever tried attaching a Harris type bipod to it?  It seems like it might be wierd with half the bipod under the handguards and the other half sticking out, I was wondering if it fit right and worked well?  

I have not tried to attach anything to it. The only thing that has gone on these rails is covers...

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Lancelot, that was one concern I had.  I think I may be better off building another AR in a A4 configuration using a Gov't profile barrel to help keep the weight down.

That's what I'm doing right now.. just waiting and waiting and waiting on a barrel.

I had my HBAR turned down to an A2 profile, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Of couse that's always an option for you too, cheaper then buying a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I would use the YHM-638 bipod adaptor, and not try to put it on using those threaded holes.  I think those holes are best left for a sling swivel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top