Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2005 7:54:02 PM EDT
The two 30rd Armalite mags that came with my new Armalite M15A4CB fit perfectly and drop free, but a bunch of mags I've just bought have problems.

I bought some no-name brand 40rd mags, which fit perfectly in my friends Colt AR15, but barely fit at all in my Armalite. You really gotta pound em in there, and it takes 10 mins to get em out.

The Beta CMag I had to slap in there hard, and doesn't drop free when you hit the mag release, you gotta rock it and wiggle it and it'll come out easier then the other mags. I tried shaving some material off the "feed tower" of the cmag and it's a little better.

I tried a few of my friends Colt 20rd mags that came with his gun, and they are also tight to fit and don't "drop free".

So, my question is:

1. Should I just order a shitload of Armalite 30rd mags and use those, forget about the cmag and 40rd'ers.
2. Somehow file the inside of my mag well to make other mags fit. I can easily see why they arn't fitting, and looks like two or three surfaces need a little material removed.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
1. If USGI and Colt mags fit and drop free, I'd say your magwell is OK.
2. No name mags are crap anyway, ditch 'em.
3. If USGI and Colt mags bind, send the rifle back to Armalite. USGI and Colt mags are the gold standard for magwell size estimation. Although it is vexing that the C-Mag is tight.
4.Bottom line: If it's out of spec, needs to go back to the factory. You start filing stuff, you just voided your warranty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info DR. So the 40's are shit anyway, no probs, paid like $8ea for them. It does sound like my mag well is out of spec, too tight. I don't know how to describe the part of the mag that makes it jam, but it's the back of the mag, where the spot welds run down, that binds on the back and side surfaces. I figured I could just file a bit in the mag well to free it up, but if it'd void my warranty, then I won't, it's brand new.

Thanks again, looks like back to Armalite it goes. Arn't they just going to say that it's designed to use "their" mags, seeing as they fit perfectly? Does anyone use lube in their magwell, like graphite lube or something?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
hmmm... Where did you get an Armalite with such a short barrel?

thats what im sayin.  something here scream airosft, just not sure what.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
here ya go....

hires

eta:  holy shit, he dx'ed the photos from the server...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
found on another post he lives in CAN, thats why he's got short bbl.

you can also read about his AIRSOFT M203 here-  here

and i managed to find some other pics of his gun with airsoft 203 and PEQ.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was tight too. I put a flat file to the inside front of the magwell and it helped immensely.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
found on another post he lives in CAN, thats why he's got short bbl.

you can also read about his AIRSOFT M203 here-  here

and i managed to find some other pics of his gun with airsoft 203 and PEQ.

www.likestuff.com/guns/pictures/ar15/small/P1010041.JPG

www.likestuff.com/guns/pictures/ar15/small/P1010001.JPG

Nice sleuthing.

Reminds me of Napalm113.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top