Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2005 7:23:17 PM EDT
Well, I got introduced to Duracoat with my DSA FAL and really liked it.  It looks good and has proven to be very durable.  I started reading about it on the Lauer website and thought, hey I could do that.  I ordered an 8 oz can of Combat Black about a week ago and got it on Friday.  My original plan was to just do my AR since I'd never been happy with the finish match.  It's a Armalite lower mated to a Del-Ton M4 style upper.  The Armalite lower was nice and black, but the upper was much lighter and would get a white haze to it if I didn't keep it well oiled.  

Friday after work, I bought a couple of cans of propellant for my airbrush and went home and started taking things apart.  After disassembly (complete down to the last pin), I degreased everything with Lauer TruStrip, mixed the Duracoat with a little reducer, hooked up the airbrush, and went to work.  First problem was after extended spraying, the propellant cans would freeze up and start spitting blobs.  I tried alternating cans, but it was a royal pain.  I eventually got everything well coated and let it dry overnight.  The next day, everything looked great despite the problems.  This stuff is way easier to use than regular paint--much more forgiving.  I put it on heavy and not a single run.  Only issue I had on reassembly was the takedown pin holes were a little tight as well as the safety selector hole.  After a working everything a bit, it's back to normal.

After my initial success, I decided to go nuts and paint my Steyr USR.  The grey stock never did it for me and it was starting to show some wear and discoloration.  Before I tackled it though, I went to Wal Mart and bought a 1/4" double male adaptor for my mini compressor.  That allowed me to hook my airbrush up directly to the compressor.  So, I took everything apart, used the TruStrip on the plastic stock, mixed up a big bottle of Duracoat and went to work.  All I can say is I will never use an airbrush with the propellant cans again.  Using the compressor was incredible.  Smooth, even delivery and no freeze ups.  I put it on thick and again, it came out incredible.  After doing the USR, I still had quite a bit of Duracoat left, so I started thinking about what else I could spray.  Ended up doing my Keltec P3AT, some FAL mags and some AR mags.

Now I'm considering doing my other FAL in a camo pattern with the Lauer Peel N' Spray kits.  Sounds a lot more complicated, but it should be fun.

Here's some pics

http://users.adelphia.net/~tyler2you/duracoat

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Tyler,

How much do you charge for doing an AR??
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Spyda,

Ya know, if I had my choice, I would do stuff like this full-time.  Unfortunately, I have another job.

You should give it a try--it's amazingly easy.  Preparation is the key.  Make sure everything is immaculately clean and don't rush to reassemble.  It takes at least a day before it's durable enough to put back together.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
turned out pretty good!

i always wanted to use the urban mirageflage on one of my ar's but never got around to do it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn fine job you did there, they look great.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Great job there, I have thought about usingthe Lauer but hte KG and Moly have done ok.  I guess I should try the Lauer next to the others and see what I like?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
WalMart is now selling the Testors brand airbrush and a small compressor for $50.00 or so. The airbrush and a can of air is $20.00.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top