Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
I just bought a new bushmaster, post-ban m4a3 with mini-y comp about a month ago.  I went to go shoot it for the first time this weekend, and it is unbearably loud with that mini-y comp.

I am thinking of replacing the barrell, since the mini Y comp is pinned and would probably ruin the threads if I try to take it off.  

I do a lot of coyote hunting and plinking, and it would be nice to not NEED to wear hearing protection all the time (I do when I am plinking, but its pretty stupid to wear earplugs when you are hunting).

I am looking at a 16" patrolmans carbine barrel to replace it, and will probably put a birdcage or phantom flash supressor on it.  So what I would like to know is -

1. How difficult is it to replace the barrell, and what tools would I need?  If I take it to a gunsmith to have it done, how much could I expect to have to pay?

2. I have read a lot about the mini-y comp being one of the loudest things around, how would you rate the noise of the phantom or birdcage on a 16" barrell compared to what I have now?  

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to look into a pair of active noise cancelling muffs. they work great for hunting and protect your ears.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
there are instructions on how to rebarrel your upper in the build it yourself section.

but what i would do is have the guys at ADCO ither cut or remove the y comp for something else.

you can find them in the industry board.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
if you pay shipping both ways I will change it for FREE. it will take my 15 min tops to swap it out no big deal . all i need is the upper
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the offer, I might look into doing that.

I dont mind replacing the barrel to make the rifle less of a post-ban anyways (not that it matters).  I was planning on getting something for the AR this next payday anyways, and this sounds like something I might do.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
you can then sell off the post ban barrel or keep for a rainy day. the ak brakes are way to loud. If you want to sent it latter IM me I and I will send you my address.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
#1 - I don't see how you can avoid hearing protection - even a 24" barrel is too loud, it will damage your hearing

#2 - talk to Adco, but I'd probably rebarrel

#3 - like tools?  I bought them and have been happily rebarreling ever since.  It's nice to be able to do it, and it's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What I am thinking now is just getting a whole new upper, and keeping the other as a spare or something.

I know that they are going to be loud no matter what, but the noise that the mini-y comp produces is just  rediculous.

Like I said before though, I dont mind wearing hearing protection at all when I am plinking and whatnot, but if I am out coyote hunting or something, I dont particularly like wearing ear plugs or ear defenders, but I dont want to do tone deaf after firing a few rounds either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between CAR handguards and M4 handguards?

I ask because on easgle firearms, when you add the upper to the cart, you have a choice between the two, and the m4 handguards are more expensive.....

Just curious
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
m4 handguards are taller. I like them beeter but I have long fingers
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top