User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
How do you like it? Issues?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Most AR15 barrels (indeed rifle barrels in general) are either 4140 or 4150 Chromoly Steel, either with a chromium lining in the bore and chamber or not, unless they are 416 or 410 Stainless Steel.

So you see your question is a bit unanswerable as anyone that doesn't have a SS barrel basically has a Chromoly Steel barrel, whether chrome lined or not.

Did you mean to say chrome-lined?

I have both lined and unlined.

I recommend the chrome-lined bore and chamber because of the corrosion resistance and ease of cleaning. There is a reason why modern military weapons all have a chrome-lined bore and chamber.

Well worth the $40 or so price difference.

_DR

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, that's what I meant to say............no chrome lined.......my bad
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one AR that is not chrome lined plus many other rifles that are not. No issues if stored with CLP in bore.  I have others that are chrome lined and they are of course easier to maintain.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have some SS, some CM, some chrome lined.

All work well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top