Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2005 8:31:43 PM EDT
i dont think i have ever seen anyone try it yet, so i guess i can be a guinea pig.

on a budget and looking to try some longer ranges with my fairly new ar i was searching around the house today for a scope that isnt in use......i can across 2.  one is a bsa deerhunter 4x32:(....dont know what i was thinking when it became mine.  the other is a bushnell sportview 1.5x4.54.  it is a shotgun scope for my slug gun.  anyhow, i am gonna throw it on and see how it reacts on top of the bushy tomorrow.  any ideas on what the outcome will be.  keep in mind it will be on top of an a2 carry handle with a 20inch tube.

Brett
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My very first two ARs back in 1991 were 20" A2s. One of them was kept stock for years, but the other was tasked as a dedicated skunk slaying rifle with optic and taclight. I mounted a 3-9x40 scope on the carry handle using an ARMS #2 mount. Because of the excessive optic height I had to use a cheekpiece, and it works pretty well. The downsides are excessive height over bore, and my inability to use the iron sights because of the cheekpiece.

This rifle still serves me well and does it's job beautifully-I just have to stay aware of it's limitations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
There are plenty of people who have done it.  It will work, but your check weld will be poor (or non-existant).
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
well i got to shoot it today.  i really like the reticle of teh shotgun scope.  made for fast target aquisition, and the crosshairs were still there to fine tune when i wanted to put a shot in just the right place.  the cheek weld was different, but not all that hard to get used to in the prone position.  

did do some group shooting prone, i like the bushy;).....i was doing .75-1 inch groups at 100 yards with my handload, and about 1.25-1.7 with anything else.....sorry no surplus to run through it yet....soo i hope

just thought you might like to know.

Brett
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top