Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 10:28:12 AM EDT
i wanted a light weight no frills simple carbine, and this i what i cam up with.  it was inspired by what i have seen the USAF combat controllers carrying in pics.

CMT lower (unused/ never built for 2 years)
DPMS slick side upper/ m4 glacier guards
RRA six position
Colt 1/7 barrel (has m4 feed ramps) shortened to 15" with permanent A2( shortened by Lauer)
Oly enhanced Black Tac bolt+carrier
Armalite fire control parts/ charging handle
G-27 grip
all other small parts i had laying around from various sources

it is a mutt, but i like it.  shot two mags for funtion(worked flawless).  still need to get to the range to sight it in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Great looking carbine, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I like 'em that way, too.

Very nice. I hope you get lots of enjoyment and good use from your carbine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
very nice!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice.

I've got to build one of those some day.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! glad to see people like it.  

I'm working on getting better pics this afternoon.  going outside isn't really an option for a couple of more weeks her in MN.  the white snow and bright sunshine isn't compatible with my cheapo digital( throughs the white balance way off).   i'm about to start experimenting with more neutral backgrounds and brighter indirect lighting.  hopefully get'em up later tonight.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Great, thankyou, and thanks for not taking my comments the wrong way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
definately no offense taken. thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very nice,  is there any chance we could get a better picture?  

Not trying to be a pain, but I try to save pics of various configurations and an uncluttered background with better lighting (outdoor) would make your pic a keeper.

Again, no insult intended, but rather, its a compliment.

CHRIST! you are a pic nazi!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle. Personally I would go with an A2 pistol grip.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]

That is a great little carbine!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I started out wanting something just like that, but I found it difficult to pass on all the AR add-ons. When I build my 9mm SBR, I'm going to try and keep it simple like that, it's very pretty.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Very clean and well done!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
funny you mention 9mm SBR.  that's what i originally bought the slickside for.  the 9mm project keeps getting pushed out of the way for other stuff.  lucky i haven't sent in my Form 1 yet(so i don't feel too guilty.  i have a DPMS stripped lower that is going to go on the Form 1(unless the piles of extra parts scream for another build).  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd have to try that grip but that is one of the cleanest looking ARs I've seen.
Absolutely beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to be a pain, but I try to save pics of various configurations and an uncluttered background with better lighting (outdoor) would make your pic a keeper.

Ummmmm, uhhhhhh, me?  

It got us better pics, didn't it?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#17]
This is probably a stupid question but how come the rifle is not equipped forward bolt assist?  I guess I am just a little ignorant when it comes to these really technical issues.  Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks great. Now how much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmm, uhhhhhh, me?  

It got us better pics, didn't it?

I see. The pics up now are improved from what was up originally. I thought you were saying he needed better ones than whats is up right now. Im no photography guru but I couldnt have taken a better pic.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
justin,
there isn't a forward assist because i wanted to see if i really need one.  i plan on taking a defensive carbine course this summer(hopefully a couple of three guns matches also), and plan on putting it through the ringer.  i see pics of USAF operators running slicksides all the time, so i thought i would give it a shot.  if it runs through the summer without a need for the FA then i will keep it as is.  if i find i need a FA i have a canadian C7 style upper in the pile of spares to replace it with.  then the slickside will be made into a 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#22]
advntrjnky - Did you get that upper from DPMS recently?  I looked in their catalog and can't find it.

Nevermind, I found them on their website.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
justin,
there isn't a forward assist because i wanted to see if i really need one.  i plan on taking a defensive carbine course this summer(hopefully a couple of three guns matches also), and plan on putting it through the ringer.  i see pics of USAF operators running slicksides all the time, so i thought i would give it a shot.  if it runs through the summer without a need for the FA then i will keep it as is.  if i find i need a FA i have a canadian C7 style upper in the pile of spares to replace it with.  then the slickside will be made into a 9mm.

Ahh...interesting...actually, that's damn smart!  But just out of curiosity, is there a legittimate reason (i.e., weight) why anyone wouldn't want a Forward Assist even if they PROBABLY wouldn't need it? Thanks for the reply.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The slick side uppers are also lighter in weight and make good recievers for lightweight projects like his. The ounces saved by this or that by themselves dont matter much. But when you add them up, it can mean a noticable amount of difference in overall weight.

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the answer.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]
M4arc,  i got it last spring/summer from Brownells.  i have my C&R FFL so i get a pretty good discount.  IIRC $79.

justin,   i probably only saved an ounce or two over the C7 style upper and maybe an ounce or so more over the A2 upper.  so, there are other ways to save weight other than a slickside.  i just wanted it as simple as possible.  

i don't have any way to get a weight on it, however was looking at postal scales the other day.  i may just have to go get one now.  if i had to guess on a weight it would be around 6lbs.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice job, advntrjnky.

Looks great!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, "slickslide" or not, I must say that it is nice to see an AR-15 without all that crap mounted on it.  Nice rifle!

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice carbine.  I have something similar.    

Lower is a  preban Olympic SGW stop sign CAR, the  upper is a Bushmaster A1.  Barrel is a Wilson pencil bbl.  Pistol grip is a Ramlinestorage grip taken off a  Ramline 10/22 folding stock.  Telestock is just a regular A1.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Something I always wondered -- if the flash hider is permanent, how do you service the gas system? Or you just can't?

I love your rifle. I would get a battlegrip though -- much cleaner looking than anything with finger grooves. I am also happy with the low cost Duckbill.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]
MMMMM...........What does the flash hider have to do with the gas system? Am I missing  something?

I personaly have never had to use the forward assist on my Colt or Bushy. I like that rifle..........I may need to build a lightwieght upper.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Something I always wondered -- if the flash hider is permanent, how do you service the gas system? Or you just can't?

I love your rifle. I would get a battlegrip though -- much cleaner looking than anything with finger grooves. I am also happy with the low cost Duckbill.

1-  You don't service the gas system on an AR15/ M16.

2-  I would also use an A2/ A1 pistolgrip, which would probably save some weight, but it probably doesn't feel as good to him.

3-  The Forward Assist is important for chambering a round quietly.  For people who don't understand why that is important, don't worry about it.  The FA is also important for doing a press check.  For people who don't understand the importance of a press check, don't worry about that either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#33]
so what's the pink ammo in the magazine?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#34]
stickman-   (2)your right about the grip.  i have fairly large hands and don't like the A2 grip.  i tried the ergo, but found it too narrow.  i do kinda like the M16(pre A1) grip i have on another build.  about a year ago i found a dealer at a show that had a bunch of M16 stock kits for sale.  i got three of them for $40.  i've grown to really like the M16 swivel butt stocks w/o trap door.
(3) i agree with you!  however, that's not its intended purpose.  i have others for that.

RyJones-  i was wondering if anyone would catch that.  those are snap caps.  i use them for mis-fire clearing drills and and trigger control practice.  i live in town and most of my shooting areas are inaccessible due to snow this time of year, it lets me practice until the spring thaw.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top