Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2005 4:31:08 AM EDT
Greetings, I am sure some of you know me from Snipers Hide, Snipers Paradise, and Sniper Country Forums.  I am new here, but not new to the Black Rifle.  I built my first one in the late 1970's using if I remember correctly an Old Sarge, or SGW Lower and all M16A1 parts.  (It seems like SGW was not the first lower we used if I remember correctly)  All the OLD Parts guns used Military Parts at that time.  I have had one ever since.  I put a Flat Top together around 1979 or 1980.  I had a machine shop Mill off the carrying handle and we welded a Weaver base on it for a Marlin 336.  I then sent it off to I believe Midwest Sieco in Florida and had it Teflon Coated.  I then had a tube handguard built at the machine shop.  We made a steel donut with a slot cut out for the tube adapter.  The inside diameter was the size of a factory barrel nut.  We tightened down the Nut and aligned the slot for the gas tube, then welded them together, then we welded on the steel tube we had knurled and drilled it and installed a sling stud on the bottom.  This was just for the sling, we didn't have a Harris Bipod then.  Next I cut the tower off the M16A1 sight and rounded it making it into a Gas Fixture to get the front sight out of the scope.  Man have we came a long way since then.  NOTE:  I do not take credit for being the first to do any of these modifications.  Infact I am sure I read about the tube handguard in a Gun Magazine.  I have been on the Board of Directors of our local Sportsman's Club for the last 25 or 26 years, Club President for several of them. We started having Sniper Matches in 2003.  We have been improving the range ever since.  Building Berms, Rebuilding Berms, Constructing Simulators, and Target Holders and all the related equipment required for this kind of event.  With all the Range improvements we can now shoot 20 shooters to a relay.  I got to thinking with it taking 2+ Hours to Fire one Relay, Our compedators needed something to do other than set around.  At our First Match of 2005 in February we introduced our shooters to the Carbine Range.  We set this up as a Run and Gun Assault Course with a Carbine and handgun employed.  The first Sniper Match with virtually no advertisement other than through E-Mailing the shooters on my Tactical Shooter List we had 20 Individual shooters on the Asault Course, firing 27 passes through the Course.  I did the math, Each shooter takes approximately 10 minutes to Totally Complete the Course, with Firing the Range, Score the Targets, Paste the Holes, and replace the Tee Shirts we have covering the IDPA Silhouettes for Target Identification.  The math says that is 6 per Hour X 8 Hours = around 50 shooters Maximum.  With 27 passes through the range with almost no advertisement other than through my Sniper Range Compedators, we were going to be maxed out shortly.  Well the solution was very simple Range B.  I started clearing it last weekend.  I have the Angle Iron and 2X4 Tubing on my truck picked up from Pipe Plus yesterday evening for a minimum of 15 additional Target Stands.  In April we will have Both an A and B Carbine Course to fire.  Seperate Plaques for each Range.  Well this is the main reason I am here.  I have been spending most of my time on the Sniper Forums, With the Carbine Course up and running, I need to be on here also getting the word out on a place to shoot the Black Rifle.  I have been talking with Jeff at CMMG (The AR Barrel Guy), and between the two of us I think we can give AR shooters in the Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Illinois, Iowa, and possibly other States a place to come and shoot the Black Rifle.   I am glad to be on board!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice to have you here.....welcome!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The wife dragged me away from the computer this morning to go to Springfield to look at horse trailers at Horse Fest.  Their was enough T6 aluminum on site to build a bunch of AR's.
Back to my profile: I spent 2 years in the Army, I have worked as a Department of the Army Civilian for the last 30 years, and I have been a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for the last 12 years.
Our Sportsmans Club is located near Houston Missouri.  That is in South Central Missouri.  At our facility we have Service Rifle Matches (A Small Informal Event with a good bunch of guys), Sniper Matches (50 - 750 yard UNK Distance), and by the next Match date 2 each 2 Gun Assault Courses (Carbine & Handgun)
For Information and Match Dates:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Viper225 Out
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome.

You've been building AR's longer than I've been alive

(don't mean to make you feel old or nothin')

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top