Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 6:29:39 AM EDT
Greetings to everyone, i am new to firearms and own a 9mm handgun. I am very interested in getting a rifle next and am leaning to an ar15. I would use it frequently at the range and maybe be interested in hunting if it is possible with it. can anyone suggest a good reliable model or manufacturer. I have seen many prices and options but don't think they would all apply to what I want to do. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt , Bushy, DSA/LMT, RRA, Armalite, Oly, DPMS.Or All of them ( In that order IMHO)
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
for your first AR stay in the top tier:

Colt
Armalite
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The "which Brand is best" question is a very controversial topic here.

Here's my take.

Excellent
Colt
Bushmaster
Wilson Combat
Barrett

Very Good
RRA
Armalite/Eagle Arms
Fulton Armory
DS ARms
Stag Arms
CMMG (now make their own brand)

Good
Olympic
Cavalry Arms
DPMS
DoubleStar

Fair to Poor
American Spirit ARms

Avoid at all Costs
Hesse
Vulcan Arms
Parts guns made of parts of unknown origin.

The new one to watch is Leitner-Wise, they have the potential to be the latest "new best thing" out there. Also note that rifles built on a stripped receiver from parts of varied sources can range from excellent to abysmal depending on who built it and what parts were used. Beware parts guns built on big name receivers being pushed as the real McCoy.

Unfortunately, the AR15 is so modular and so widely cloned that authenticity of used and to a lesser extent new rifles can be hard to determine unless you are familiar with markings and characteristics.  Of course the modularity and wide availability of parts and accessories is also what makes them so appealing and addictive.

For your first rifle, as a newbie, so as not to get screwed, you are best off to get a factory complete rifle with new warranty.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Avoid OLY like a Homosexual HIV positve Hemopheliac Heroin addict!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd put Rock River up there with the best .  I've got 2, 1 factory gun, and 1 parts gun made with all RRA components and they're flawless.  I've never had a bit of trouble with either.  The only problem is their carbine length barrels are excessively heavy.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Buying your first AR and don't know much about guns...

Call around and find a local dealer that has an Armalite or a Bushmaster with the configuration you like in stock.

This way it's sure to work, you'll have a warranty, you won't have to wait 3 months and you won't pay an arm and a leg.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
For the 1st rifle I would stay with the A,B,C,R of Ar15s

Armalite
bushmaster
colt
rock river arms

I have built up two RRA guns and the fit and finsih was great.

My two cents                    
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI there have been a lot of QC issues reported here with Bushmaster and RRA with new production rifles since the ban expired.  Apparently they are having trouble keeping the QC up with increased production. Something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FYI there have been a lot of QC issues reported here with Bushmaster and RRA with new production rifles since the ban expired.  Apparently they are having trouble keeping the QC up with increased production. Something to consider.

I can vouch for that. My 1st bushy from Nov was really piss poor, but the 2nd I got last week was perfect so I can say bushy is back up to snuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

While this is true (I won't deny it), these companies have warrantees with their rifles (RRA is lifetime, Bushmaster is a year, I think)

If you get one, and it's a P.O.S., call them up and say so. They both have excellent customer service and they will both fix you up as soon as they can.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks for all the info, it will all be useful as i start my search. has anyone here used the ar for hunting? it is something i would consider after getting one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Meet some people at a range who already have one and maybe they will let you try theirs out before you decide that an ar15 is for you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
+1

When I am at the range I am more than happy to let people shoot my weapons. At least as long as I have ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top