Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2005 3:52:04 PM EDT
I have a complete RRA lower and eventually plan to get an A4 upper for it, but along the way I have been toying with the idea of a 9mm upper... What would have to be done for this conversion, and is it really worth the effort (money)?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If the 9 is your only AR, stick with the 223/5.56 as you first build.

For your next build the 9mm is definately worth the "trouble"

Most 9mm uppers are A1/Carry handle, but you can build an A3 just as well

No need to worry about the gas tube

Pass on Oly other 9mm systems that have "special mags", just get an ASA drop in mag block from Brownells ( the drop in does not require pins or screws to hold it in place) and add a bunch of modified Uzi mags.

Good to go.

FWIW, the blowback of the 9mm system causes it to get dirtier faster,  Carry some break free CLP and and boresnake in your 9mm kit.

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently built a complete LMT 16" M4, but I was hoping to keep the RRA, all RRA... RRA has quite a few configs. for their 9mm uppers so that would not be an issue, I just wondered if that is all I needed (+ the mags). Special bolt?

Thanks for the feedback...
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on what you are going to use the 9mm for and what you generally use your AR for. I don't really see a use for it. Most AR's chambered for .223 have almost no recoil so that takes away the "less recoil" argument for the 9mm. If you use it for defense the .223 is also superior. I can't see a reason for going to the 9mm but that is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I definitely see your point... I guess it would be solely for the kewl factor and semi-cheaper ammo.... If it would end up more expensive to build a 9mm, I will just stick with my 20" A4 idea.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the paper in for a 10" SBR right now, that will be built as a flattop and suppressed with a Gemtech Raptor.  9mms are fun, cheap to shoot, and very quiet when suppressed with subsonic ammo.  I agree it should not be your first AR, but there's nothing wrong with making it your second!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have the paper in for a 10" SBR right now, that will be built as a flattop and suppressed with a Gemtech Raptor.  9mms are fun, cheap to shoot, and very quiet when suppressed with subsonic ammo.  I agree it should not be your first AR, but there's nothing wrong with making it your second!

Wow, now if I was to do THAT, now then it would definitely be worth it... but I can't see myself going all out for my use (a plinker).
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't say pass on the oly that uses "Special" Mags mine uses readily available and cheaper Sten mags.... Runs just fine... I use a Socom Block that I got used cheap....
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
A 9mm AR is definately "worth" it.   They are a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
How much am I looking to spend for ALL parts and upper considering I have a Complete Lower?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If the 9 is your only AR, stick with the 223/5.56 as you first build.

For your next build the 9mm is definately worth the "trouble"

I totally agree bro, your first AR should be a .223/5.56 but the 9mm AR's are HELLA FUN!

I am loving the shit out of mine and will eventually turn it into a 11-12" SBR.

As far as a defensive weapon inside the house the case could be made that the 9mm is much safer than firing .223 through the house but regardless for shits and giggles the 9mm rifles are insanely fun.

I built a A3 flat top version and popped a Eotech on it, now just can't wait to chop the barrel.

Parts will run you:

16" 9mm complete upper around $430.00
Mag Block $130.00
9mm Buffer $23.00
9mm hammer $10.00

Somewhere around theres unless you buy some stuff used and you can get a better deal. GL
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, now if I was to do THAT, now then it would definitely be worth it... but I can't see myself going all out for my use (a plinker).

My buddy just bought a 3-4" barreled 9mm AR upper, flattop, and uses his Warrior suppressor on it.  OAL is 23 inches.

9 pounds with foregrip, laser, Eotech.

Sounds like a nailgun with subsonic ammo.

TRG

You must get pictures of that sucker.  No really.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy just bought a 3-4" barreled 9mm AR upper, flattop, and uses his Warrior suppressor on it.  OAL is 23 inches.

9 pounds with foregrip, laser, Eotech.

Sounds like a nailgun with subsonic ammo.

TRG

WTF... all this talk isn't helping me stick w the A4 idea... Can we turn this into a PIC THREAD???
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't take any pics, as the upper is residing in a friend's safe deposit box until my Form 1 is approved.  Believe me, as soon as it comes back you fockers will be the first to see it!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful!

But back to the point, so my RRA lower receiver will suffice w/o modification other than 9mm hammer, buffer, and mag-well?

Quiet, is the $200 refundable?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Oly system and it works fine. The mags were expensive so I picked up some Sten mags for three bucks ea. I had a local machine shop make some blocks and welded them on. I think I had 6.00 into each mag. A friend and I split 24 of them .
I still need to paint them and I will take some pics.
This is my low buck beater...
P.s. if ups comes thru that will wear a flat top tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My 9mm AR could possibly be the funnest gun in my inventory..
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Does the bolt lock back on an empty mag in your 9mm's?
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, it will in a Colt with Colt mags.  The converted Uzi mags won't.

Quoted:
Does the bolt lock back on an empty mag in your 9mm's?

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Is a 9MM AR worth it? Hell yes!I use mine at the indoor range and get plenty of trigger time during the winter or when the weather is lousy. For this I use an Oly and didnot have to change hammers, buffers, mag block and expensive magazines. This is not my primary goto weapon so using a socom block and sten mags are not an issue. However, my state still has an AWB otherwise I would have a 9MM Colt AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=697&Category_Code=ARA+UP+RRA+9MM

Fair deal?

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Just for you, QS.

Consider this payback for posting that pic of your para.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=697&Category_Code=ARA+UP+RRA+9MM

Fair deal?

From what I've read posted by other members here, Florida Gunworks has a horrible reputation.

Edited to add:  That's a RRA upper with a Wilson HBAR on it.  That HBAR is going to be HEAVY.

For the package - it's not a bad deal $$ wise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Fair deal?

I bough my upper from Eaglefirearms.net have used them a lot. Bought the lowers and other stuff at RbPrecision. Both have been great to me, never had a problem with either.

Quoted:
Just for you, QS.

Kick ass, is that can real? looks amazing.

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just for you, QS.

www.hunt101.com/img/221954.jpg

Kick ass, is that can real? looks amazing.

The suppressor is an SWR Omega.....VERY real and VERY quiet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I wouldn't say pass on the oly that uses "Special" Mags mine uses readily available and cheaper Sten mags.... Runs just fine... I use a Socom Block that I got used cheap....

+1

I love my Oly 9mm system.  I've used it with "factory-converted" (welded block) mags and cheap, unmodified Stens (with a SOCOM block) and it works fine either way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The suppressor is an SWR Omega.....VERY real and VERY quiet.

That's amazing, I'd love to make my 9mm look like that some day. Did you apply for the SBR and and silencer all at once? Looks awesome
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's amazing, I'd love to make my 9mm look like that some day. Did you apply for the SBR and and silencer all at once? Looks awesome

It is a two stamp gun.  I filed the Form 1 to register the rifle as an SBR first, and then I picked up the suppressor later on.  It took me a while to find a NIW Colt 635 barrel, so I didn't mind the wait.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Fair deal?

Friends don't let friends buy from Florida Gunworks. They suck!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair deal?

Friends don't let friends buy from Florida Gunworks. They suck!!

Good to know... Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 9mm AR and I love it. I built the lower from an LMT / Lauer lower and a RRA LPK. The upper is a RRA flat top from ADCO.  It is a great shooter. Almost no recoil and really fast on target.  Definately one of my favorite rifles.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
9mm AR's are fun guns to shoot, I have an ASA conversion 16" flat top. also I have an 11.5" with a fake suppresor attached for that suppressed look. The big plus is that you can shoot them at indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#34]
My new Colt:

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#35]
The little 9mm arfs are definitely a kick in the pants to shoot.

If you’re going the RRA route, you might just give them a call and see what they would recommend. Reading through the thread I was thinking it might just be super cool if you were to register one of their receivers as an SBR in 9mm and 5.56mm and have a separate SBR upper for each caliber. I’m not too much into the magic that goes on inside the arf, but it is my understanding that the heavy 9mm buffer will work fine with 223/5.56 ammo. If this is the case, just keep the heavy buffer in the buffer tube and when you switch uppers all you’re going to have to do is change uppers and add or remove the mag block, everything else can stay the same. Now you would have a bad ass 11.5-inch 223 thunderstick and a 11.5-inch 9mm pop gun upper. Fun, fun, fun.

I bought my Colt 9mm Sporter a few years back only because I had seen the new Gemtech Talon SD and had to have one. Needing the Talon SD I’d also need a host weapon to install the suppressed upper onto. As it is, I bought the Colt, registered it as an SBR and it has stayed in that configuration since, I love to shoot it just the way it is. Be that as it may, I’d still like to have a suppressed 9mm arf, so I’m thinking about building a second one with the intention of the upper coming from SWR in the form of their Alpha/Omega set-up; that is just too cool.

For right now I’ve got the little Colt 9mm SBR, this gun is a hoot to take out to the local pistol ranges and pop tin cans with, one of my very favorite weapons.

They are worth the trouble.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:47:02 AM EDT
[#36]
If you think you need a pistol rifle there are better options.  A Hi point carbine is the cheapest way to go, a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt is the best way.  The 9mm just doesnt have the punch I need, a lever 45 colt is just as fast and hits 10x harder.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you think you need a pistol rifle there are better options.  A Hi point carbine is the cheapest way to go, a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt is the best way.  The 9mm just doesnt have the punch I need, a lever 45 colt is just as fast and hits 10x harder.

Dude, look at the address in your browser.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I was thinking it might just be super cool if you were to register one of their receivers as an SBR in 9mm and 5.56mm and have a separate SBR upper for each caliber.  Now you would have a bad ass 11.5-inch 223 thunderstick and a 11.5-inch 9mm pop gun upper. Fun, fun, fun.

Like this?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Go check out the Rimfire & Pistol Calibers & the M16 Full Auto forums.  Between those two forums, you'll find more info there than you can read about both the 9mm road, as well as info on going SBR.  

I have a bonus coming next month and $200 of it is being put aside to make my Colt lower an SBR.  Once I get that, a 9mm is on the way.  I want the 9mm because closest range where I can shoot 5.56 is 30 minutes away, but there's an indoor range for pistol 8 minutes away.  

Somewhere in the Full Auto forum you should be able to find a link to a list that shows what's legal in each state (Full Auto, SBR, Destructive Devices, Suppressors, etc.).

Good luck and have fun reading.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#40]
It probably helps if  your 9mm ammo comes for free.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was thinking it might just be super cool if you were to register one of their receivers as an SBR in 9mm and 5.56mm and have a separate SBR upper for each caliber.  Now you would have a bad ass 11.5-inch 223 thunderstick and a 11.5-inch 9mm pop gun upper. Fun, fun, fun.

Like this?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/ARSBRset.jpg

yep

You can go a long ways with only one tax stamp.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top