Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2005 5:14:56 PM EDT
I'll be removing my barrel this weekend to do some modifications, (new float tube, gas block, BUIS,....) I've read several posts that say to use moly grease on the upper threads when reinstalling barrel........does it have to be moly grease or is there a equal substitute? Also, what purpose does greasing the threads serve?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search for "molydenum"; there was a thread just last week (or the weekend before) discussing this in the Build It Yourself forum.

The basic answer is "yes, you do need this stuff."  The grease acts as an anti sieze agent (also for the lower receiver extension) so you can eventually remove the barrel.  Without it, you're likely to have the barrel nut try to become permanently part of the upper.  It also helps prevent galvanic corrosion, which occurs when two dissimilar metals are in contact in certain fairly common atmospheric and field conditions.

Moly grease IS your friend.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Molly grease molly paste or plain old ngl no.2 grease hight temp from an autoparts store will work.

What you want to steer from is anything with graphite in it. a lot of thread anti-seize compounds can be as much as 50%graphite.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top