Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2005 3:58:30 PM EDT
Has anyone ever done this?  I am curious as to whether or not it maintains it tacky texture?

If so, what king of paint worked best?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not done it, but the automotive spray-on vinyl dyes might be worth a try:

They are designed to soak into the plastic/vinyl and dye it rather than simply coat over top of it.  That keeps the color from flaking and peeling, which could be a problem on the semi-flexible Hogue grip with regular paint.  It also might better maintain the texture of the grip.

Unfortunately, the color selection isn't that great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That vinyl dye is just thinned paint and plastic adhesion promoters. Because it is thinned it does seep into the vinyl and plastic texture and coats evenly and not get caked on top. But it doesn't dye it through in the sense of fabric or leather is dyed.  It's just a name.

it's not going to change the color of rubber in any permanent manner.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I never had much luck painting rubber. Good luck with that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top