Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2005 12:23:21 PM EDT
Well, maybe not a blowtorch and I haven't had the need for pliers yet, but this is what I have to do sometimes to get a stubborn FSB off.  In that jumbled mess of barrel vise blocks and C-clamps is a Colt LW barrel.  A member sent it to me for FSB removal.  I was able to get the relatively intact rear pin out with this setup, but the front pin is headed for the mill.  This will be the second pin that I couldn't get out using conventional means.

Another member, h8mtv, sent me a Bushmaster superlight barrel a while ago with an identical problem and I was able to get the stubborn front FSB pin out using a Bridgeport mill.  I'm hoping I can do the same with this one.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Damn Mongo... You're my hero!  We need to come up with a balls-to-the-walls modding award for ya...

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
nice setup..where did u get that torch thing ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
nice setup..where did u get that torch thing ?

MAPP setup from Lowes.  I was using very low heat, just enough to heat things up.  It helped on the rear pin, but it was basically intact.  The head of the front pin was mushroomed and the mushroomed head had been removed flush with the FSB.  That makes it extremely hard to get a good hit on the pin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Should you have that torch near all those volitale pertoleum products????  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Should you have that torch near all those volitale pertoleum products????  

I've got it all under control.  Here hold my beer and watch this.............................................

Operating a torch around volatile chemicals isn't an everyday occurence for me, but it is something I do quite often.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
MAPP gas and Oxygen, this is some serious bench-top torch  BTW, I gave up the idea of removing the FSB off my BM Superlight before I do severe damage to the pin head.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you ever tried a shop press?  I beat the hell out  of a FSB once with a much less elaborate set up and wished I used my FIL's 20 ton press ever since.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Those tapper pins are harder than wood pecker lips. I have removed a few FSB in my time, but never had to have one machined, nor used heat. They do not have solder, so there is nothing to soften. If you have a bridgeport and vice,  it will provide a lot better platform to knock the pin out the way it went in. A rugged wooden bench like you have, still will give/flex a little, thus some of the force you need via a good punch and hamer is absorbed by the wood.  The steel Bridgeport will give you much better results since more direct  force goes where you need it opposed to dispersed force via wood/alum. combo.
Jack
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Have you ever tried a shop press?  I beat the hell out  of a FSB once with a much less elaborate set up and wished I used my FIL's 20 ton press ever since.

This FSB came to me a bit beat up and to date, if the pin is intact and unmushroomed, I get it out with little or no damage to the FSB - nothing that can't easily be covered.  The only two I haven't got out came ground flush with the FSB, and like I stated before that makes it extremely hard to get a good, solid hit on the pin.  If you are hitting pin and FSB, you are losing almost all of the force needed to get the pin moving.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Those tapper pins are harder than wood pecker lips. I have removed a few FSB in my time, but never had to have one machined, nor used heat. They do not have solder, so there is nothing to soften. If you have a bridgeport and vice,  it will provide a lot better platform to knock the pin out the way it went in. A rugged wooden bench like you have, still will give/flex a little, thus some of the force you need via a good punch and hamer is absorbed by the wood.  The steel Bridgeport will give you much better results since more direct  force goes where you need it opposed to dispersed force via wood/alum. combo.
Jack

Thanks, Jack.  I hit the bottom and the sides of the FSB with heat, hoping to heat the FSB up and not the pin, trying to develop the smallest clearance possible to get the pin moving.  In this case, it didn't work on the front pin, but it did on the rear.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Your very welcome. Let me know how you make out with my suggestion with the set up on a steel surface. It is difficult to keep the drft pin in place since the tapper pin is round. I always used a pair of vice grips to hold the drift punch from slipping, after it got me once when hand held, ouch.
Jack
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Excuse me, tapper pins round (at each end).
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL... I just used a Dremel tool and cut the biotch off.... they are about worthless anyway.... then I just pitched it....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LOL... I just used a Dremel tool and cut the biotch off.... they are about worthless anyway.... then I just pitched it....

The owner wants it intact, if possible.  I agree with you in a way, but a FSB that is mated with a barrel is hardly useless, even if it doesn't have the "coveted" and even more so useless bayonet lug.

Originally Posted By 3rdtk

I always used a pair of vice grips to hold the drift punch from slipping, after it got me once when hand held, ouch.
Jack

Been there and done that today.  I took a decent whack to one of my fingers with that sledge you see there.  Some things are learned the hard way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
C'mon man, just whack it with that sledge a few more time.  Beat it into submission!  Who do you think the Police are going to believe.......
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
C'mon man, just whack it with that sledge a few more time.  Beat it into submission!  Who do you think the Police are going to believe.......

If it weren't for the fact that the owner requested the FSB intact for future use.................................................................................
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"Gettin' Medieval With a Blowtorch and a Set of Pliers"

Best title of a thread ever.  

Kinda sounds like the title of an S&M movie or something.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
"If that FSB shows up in China, I want Mongo to pop out of a bowl of rice and put a cap in its ass!"
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"If that FSB shows up in China, I want Mongo to pop out of a bowl of rice and put a cap in its ass!"

El_Roto caught on.

"You and me.....................there is no more you and me............................your LA rights have been revoked."

Pardon me if the quote isn't exact, my movie memory is very short lived.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I will be attending an M16 armorers course in about 6 weeks or so. Supposedly we are going to completely disassemble and reassemble the entire rifles many, many times over two day's time. Are we going to have this much fun with front sight bases?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]
KANO KROIL AND/OR SEAFOAM DEEPCREEP!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
KANO KROIL AND/OR SEAFOAM DEEPCREEP!

In the two stuck pins I have had the "pleasure" of dealing with, no amount of even the best penetrating fluid will help these.  I have used Kroil, but I had none available to use now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I too fought FSB pins on a Bushy superlite barrel. I bought the special punch for the pins from Brownells, but the pins were tougher.It broke after a dozen blows with a 4# hammer. Finally got them out after using my entire supply of cuss words.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I too fought FSB pins on a Bushy superlite barrel. I bought the special punch for the pins from Brownells, but the pins were tougher.It broke after a dozen blows with a 4# hammer. Finally got them out after using my entire supply of cuss words.

I invented a few new ones today, after I whacked my finger with that sledge.  It was a glancing blow but an eye opener, none the less.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I am in awe.  That's some magnificent application of engineering to stubborn inanimate objects.

The only thing is, you can barely make out the barrel in all the blocks, clamps, and other medieval barrel torture devices.  I'd think that would intimidate the pins out all by itself!

On my first build I got a barrel, and had to assemble it completely.  Whew!  That was a pain!  When I got the FSB in position (after much creative cussing and threatening), I really wondered why all the parts that were supposed to come apart eventually had moly grease, but this part-which as I mentioned I had to assemble myself-didn't call for it.  I have it figured out now: it's to keep Mongo and others of like talent busy.

(And I'll NEVER buy a bare barrel when I need a complete assembly EVER AGAIN.)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top