Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2005 3:25:57 PM EDT
I was going to buy an upper with a chrome lined 16" HBar but ........I can't find one.  I am looking at a 16"M4 "government profile" barrel but.......that skinny little barrel makes me nervous.  Would I see much accuracy enhancement if I went with a float tube?  I don't need it to be super accurate cuz can't win matches with my DCM gun and I'll be using iron sights but I don't want to end up with something that groups like an AK either!  I don't see myself shooting this one with a super tight sling either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You have nothing to worry about. A HBAR is just extra weight anyway. A M4 barrel is the way to go for a carbine. The gun will handle and feel better in your hands, trust me. Accuracy is not a concern unless you plan on making the carbine a target rifle (and in that case, you should be shooting match grade ammo with a stainless steel barrel).

I would get a "float" tube for reasons entirely different than what you stated. A 4 rail handguard will allow you to attach a variety of accessories to your carbine. I currently have a flattop Bushmaster upper with a 16" CMMG M4 barrel, along with a LaRue 7.0 handguard that free floats the barrel.

If you want standard iron sights, get a flattop with a detachable carry handle, because you'll probably want to add optics later.

Accuracy is not an issue out of a chrome-lined 16" barrel, but don't expect sub MOA groups either with GI ammo.

By the way, since when are AK's "inaccurate"? I resent that sine I'm an AK guy. AK-74s and the newer AK-103s are excellent shooters in their own right. I can easily hit a chicken sized target with my Romanian AK-74 (SAR-2) at 200 yards.

themao
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can split the hair on a gnats ass at 1,000 yards with an SKS with a bent barrel while shooting under one leg, with the gun upside down in a hurricane.

AKs are accurate enough. That has been done to death. They are not benchrest rifles.

Don't  worry. Without a float tube, you will have normal groups of around 1-2" with quality ammunition. The lack of a float tube will only make the location of the group differ slightly when/if if it being rested on something ( ie, sandbag, bipod, etc. ).

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

By the way, since when are AK's "inaccurate"? I resent that sine I'm an AK guy. AK-74s and the newer AK-103s are excellent shooters in their own right. I can easily hit a chicken sized target with my Romanian AK-74 (SAR-2) at 200 yards.
themao

Well...........I shot  a match with an AK once.  Just prior to the AWB we organized a match  for "banned" weapons in a misguided attempt to get some "positive" press coverage.  The one I used would barely hold the black during slow fire.  Part of it may have been that the sights really sucked.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.  I think I won't worry too much about going that route.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top