Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Is the plinker an ok rifle? Do you guys think it would be ok as a first AR-15 rifle to use to hunt coyotes? Will it accept a standard rifle scope? Thanks in advance.

Harley
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The original Plinker sucked because it had cast uppers & lowers. The newer Plinker plus has forged uppers & lowers though. They come with A1 sights & do not have chrome lined barrels otherwise they are ok if you don't plan on mounting optics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
jt352i -

Thanks for the info.  Can the A1 sights be removed or replaced later? Do you think a barrel thats not chromed lined would be an accurate long lasting (hunting) rifle out to 300 yards, if taken care of? So is it NOT possible to mount a regualr scope on one of these? Can you tell me why it won't mount that way I will know what uppers to stay away from when I am looking for my rifle or kit?

Thanks a lot, this has held me out. I am determined to build me one of these AR's. I am trying to make every extra dollar I can to help me get the money by Saturday for the Indianoplis gun hsow.

Harley
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
jt352i -

Thanks for the info.  Can the A1 sights be removed or replaced later?
No.  The A1 sights are part of the upper.
Do you think a barrel thats not chromed lined would be an accurate long lasting (hunting) rifle out to 300 yards, if taken care of? Sure, but the chrome lined barrel will outlast a non-chromelined barrel, but both will go many thousands of rounds. Standard 4140 steel is just fine though
So is it NOT possible to mount a regualr scope on one of these? You can mount a scope to the carry handle but it will sit above the iron sights.  A flattop (A3) is better for mounting optics

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey thanks a bucnh for that info. I am finally starting to learn some stuff. Sounds like I need an A3 upper and I need to find a complete A3 upper with  no sights or atleast removable, a 20" barrel and I am yet to figure out what all the forstocks are so I don't know about that yet. I think I like the standard A2 butt and the pistol grip that has the more round fat bottom. As soon as I find out what the names of the different parts are I will be able to hunt for my parts. I would really like to just find a complete upper with 20" barrel and bolt and then build my lower. Any advice guys?

Thanks

Harley
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My first AR was an Oly plinker. Olympic getsa bad rap from a lot a people. Theres nothing about this gun that I have to complain about, never had any big problems with it yet. I would suggest visiting www.model1sales.com. A kit might be the way to go. Choose what you want, get what you pay for. You can buy a receiver of your chooosing and assemble a rifle built to your needs for a price comparable to the Plinker.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top