Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2005 2:13:43 PM EDT
Hi. I am left handed. I need a compititon rifle with an 20 inch barrel. I kinda want a stag arms upper and they said they wouldget some in Feb.   hat
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a regular rifle - I don't know if the Stag Arms upper would be DCM legal anyway.  Lefty's have been shooting standard ARs for decades.

That or check to see if DPMS is still selling their Southpaw rifle/upper which was markted to Lefty's.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn’t buy a left handed weapon.

I’m left handed and have been shooting arf for a while now and haven’t had a problem.

A left handed arf may not be legal in competition and you’d probably have a heck of a time trying to sell it if you ever needed to.

If you’re shooting High Power you might find the ambi mag release advantageous, but that’s the only part I’ve ever swapped out and it’s only for High Power. Any other arf I have has just been right handed and works just fine for me and the other lefties I have shot with.

I really think the left handed arf is a poor choice.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
get a regular rifle, and if you like, set it up with a ambi-catch and ambi safety if you fell like you would be able to work the mag release and the safety better. But many lefty's shoot ARs without a problem at all. Its not s true ambi weapon, but it is easy to adapt to. Buying a pure lefty gun will probably be more a hinderance than helpful. Maybe not, but thats what I think.

+1

as a lefty, i feel more comfortable being proficient with whatever may be the most available in a dire situation.  Get used to right handed rifles and pistols...might save your life someday...never know
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Another Lefty chimin in  here

I've got 30+ years of shooting semi rifles under my belt - don't
even see those cases flyin by anymore  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
+2

I'm right-handed but I shoot rifles leftie due to left-eye dominance.  I've had an AR for 3 years now and I've never had any trouble with its "rightie" configuration.  Perhaps it's easier for me because I'm slightly ambidextrous but I believe the AR-15 platform is quite easy for a leftie to adapt to.

I recommend you try to find a fellow shooter who can give you some range time with their "normal" AR and see if you find it as comfortable as we do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a lefty, I wouldn't get one of the left handed models.  Stag Arms is a good company, but the right handed models don't get in my way or anything.  I'm not going to buy an upper just for the left handed capability.  You could sacrifice in other areas just for that one perk :/

Just my .02.   I don't think you'll have a problem with it.  The brass clears easy.

I found some videos of a left hander using a right hand config... let me find it again and I'll post it up.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm lefty and every single gun I have owned is/was right handed. Just get used to it, you won't always have your gun around
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I am lefty too---I feel that I can more rapidly activate all of the controls shooting left handed on a standard AR. This is especially true if you use a magwell hold.

Don't waste your time on a left handed gun or ambi controls---just practice, practice.

Now if it were a bolt action, I would disagree, FWIW
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Yet another lefty here...

All my ARs are right-hand configurations, but I do use ambi-selectors on each of them (certainly not necessary - just more convenient for me).  Other than the safety, you'll never even notice that the AR is right-handed.

The only left-handed guns I own are my bolt-action hunting rifles (all Remington 700 BDLs).
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Another lefty here, get a standard AR. Now, I must add that ALL of my bolt action rifles are lefty's, but, that is a whole different ballgame!!

I do add an ambidextrious safety to all my AR's though, I highly recommend them!

Huntr
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
yet another lefty,  have been shoting M-16/4s for 6 years now and never had any problems other then my kevlar catching a round ( had a really nice 556 burn on my face , but how cool is that).  as they havent been a personal weapon i had to leave it the way it was.  Now that i owen an AR are  the lefty safeties really that much better?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm right handed, left eye dominant and I shoot a normal AR. Never had any problems whatsoever. In fact I kinda like the fact that I have any doubts about the condition of the bolt (open or not) I can just tilt my head and get a quick look.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I too prefer the bolt in direct line sight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#16]
So I should be able to shoot my normal rifle offhand and not get hit by brass?

I meant to try last time I shot...didn't exactly want to get hit in the face though.

I am wondering if I could actually shoot better lefty...because back when I played tournament paintball I shot more accurately and faster left handed than right.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#17]
You definitely will not get hit by brass; that's what the brass deflector was designed for!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Lefty here too. I think the Ambi-Catch works great. As far as brass, I got lucky and mine ejects at
3 0'clock
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#19]
lefty too all my weapons are right'y.even teach lefty's to shoot ar's and glocks right'y.corpman out
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top