Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2005 2:01:42 PM EDT
Man. You guys wern't kidding about the accuracy.

I ripped off 200 rounds of 55 gr. hp. Wolf at 100 yards and was all over the damn paper!!

When you guys said that the accuracy was not good, I figured you meant accurate relative to you bunch of freakin' snipers that shoot 1/2" groups at 300 yards. I'm a new AR owner, and shot like crap using my 16" barrel Olympic.

Then, I switched over to the ammo they sell at the range which is UltraMax and shot great!! Somebody flamed my ass the last time I mentioned UltraMax, but I drove tacks with it compared to the Wolf.

On top of that, I had one failure to feed which could have been the mag I guess, but I doubt it.

I need cheap ammo, but I'm going to keep the rest of the Wolf for blasting bullshite and use something else for range ammo. Wolf is ONLY for plinking from the hip in my book.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what I found, too, I don't shoot that crap anymore.  The first time I did, the accuracy was so poor I thought my zero was off and jacked it up trying to fix it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's what I found, too, I don't shoot that crap anymore.  The first time I did, the accuracy was so poor I thought my zero was off and jacked it up trying to fix it!

More for me.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
works good for my beater guns
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More for me.  

You are welcome to it!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I love that crap in my AK. Don't get me wrong. It's real beater ammo.

But for the AR, I'm going to something else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm,

In the few ar's I own, the accuracy is decent on the 55 grn Wolf. The 62 grains Wolf were on par with the 68grain Black Hills out of the 2 1:8 twish barreled ar's. at 200yards.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I get minute of pizza box at 50 yards with Wolf 55 gr. out of my Bushmaster.  Usually much better than that though.  Never shot it for accuracy, but I'd say prob. around 2-3" at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
what would cause such crappy accuracy?  undersized projectiles?  Anyone want to pull a wolf bullet for us and slap a caliper to it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It works for me. Usually can shoot 4-5" groups at 100 yrds. Usually only shoot 50 yrds. or so.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
"Wolf" and "scope" in the same breath are pretty funny.  It is cheap blasting ammo, use it for CQB drills or casual plinking....but scoped shooting?  No.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, I was out just the other day finishing off a case of Wolf and was able to keep each 30-round group out of my A2 Bushmaster in about three-inches at 100-yards. It’s certainly not match grade ammunition, but it’s shooting just fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
At the last emmagee shoot I attended I managed to take out most of the dynamite sticks with Wolf/irons at around 125 yards.  Minute of dynamite is good enough for blasting ammo.

If you're buying Wolf and expecting .5 MOA.....well, you're kidding yourself.

If you're paying 20 cents/pop for blasting ammo..........well, you're not too bright.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Wolf & my DPMS CAR upper with a 1/9 twist gets about 4" @ 100 meters. Knew it was cheap and that is adequate for most 3gun stuff under 150 meters.

What really surprised me initially was the different smell it had as compared to GI 5.56 ball in the service. It was like, "what the hell is that?"

wganz

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I get minute of pizza box at 50 yards with Wolf 55 gr. out of my Bushmaster.

Good one, man!  I get about one minute of soda can at 100 yards with Wolf 62gr from my Bushy VMatch carbine with Nikon VSD red-dot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, prob not the Wolf, error with the shooter.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I am curious to know (if you truly know your skill with your weapon) If the weapon itself is a component of Wolf performance (i.e. 80% of major accuracy reports came from a 16" barrel whereas 95% of those with relative tight groups came from a 20" barrel).
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The 62 grains Wolf were on par with the 68grain Black Hills out of the 2 1:8 twish barreled ar's. at 200yards.

In my 1:8 bull barrel, BH 68gr averages .8 to 1MOA, while Wolf 62gr averages 2 to 3MOA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am curious to know (if you truly know your skill with your weapon) If the weapon itself is a component of Wolf performance (i.e. 80% of major accuracy reports came from a 16" barrel whereas 95% of those with relative tight groups came from a 20" barrel).

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy.

+1.  More to do with velocity.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Wolf works GREAT in my M-16 at 100 rounds in 7 seconds. I love Wolf and Beta C mags. I NEVER fire ONE ROUND at a time. Every thing has it's place doesn't it. You guys are just using the wrong gun thats all.

Rats
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Oly last May  with a 20" barrel and headed strait to the range with some wolf.  It put out 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards and 3-3 1/2 groups at 200 yards using a cheapy scope I picked up used for $30...  I did have a miss feed on like the 5th round threw the rifle, but after that she rocked and rolled with no problems...

I zeroed at 100 yards and my impact zone on the 200 yard target was 3-4" below the point of aim for referance of bullet drop with that round.  I beleve I was using the 55gr fmj
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep bashing Wolf guys, you might drive down the price on it and I'll be able to afford more.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#23]
 I've only done this with the 55 grn fmj Wolf.  I pulled apart about 20 cartridges, the powder weight varied +- .5 grns, extreme variation was very close to 1 grn.  The bullets varied +- 3 grns, heaviest was 58, the lightest was 52.  The jackets are very thick, that in itself would cause problems with consistancy of weight and the core and jacket being concentric.  I was not able to tell if the jackets themselves varied in thickness.  The length of the bullets varied too, about the same amount as Remington or Winchester bulk 55 grn softpoints.  I did not check to see if the OAL of the rounds themselves varied.

BTW,  For local carbine matches, all under 100 yards, I use Wolf.

mm
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Wow, I was out just the other day finishing off a case of Wolf and was able to keep each 30-round group out of my A2 Bushmaster in about three-inches at 100-yards. It’s certainly not match grade ammunition, but it’s shooting just fine for me.

The last few times out this is also what I was getting with Wolf 55g and from a 11.5 barrel and A1.
It is dirty though and does stink.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I would have to question his shooting ability.  In the two target/varmint Rock Rivers I've owned (16" 1/8 bull barrels), Wolf averaged around 1.5-2".  Both guns averaged 3/4" groups with premium ammo.  In my two M4's, I still average less than five to six inches (shooting through an Aimpoint and EOTech).  

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Have you guys had better luck (ie accuracy) with the 55 or 62gr bullets?

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I can get 3"-4" groups iron sights with my 20" A4gery at 100m. I don't consider myself a great shot and I don't have a bench (or range for that matter), all I have is an open field on our farm that goes about 625yds out to an old railroad (now defunct). I plan on putting an old washer out there when the snow melts off and I'm confident that my POS Wolf ammo WILL hit it, YMMV

Just my $.02

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#28]
His shooting ability is in question.

I shoot extremely tight groups with WOLF.

Correct sight alignment and sight picture clears most accuracy problems right up........
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Also - as for shooting it "SCOPED"

I have never used it with a scope, but I did take a 100 lb DOE this season with my AR using my RED DOT from 100 yrds.

Hit her broad side exactly were I had the dot.

ACCURATE enough to drop her or whom ever I need to.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have never used it with a scope, but I did take a 100 lb DOE this season with my AR using my RED DOT from 100 yrds.

hy.gif

What state do you live in?  I live in Ohio and the only thing we can use to shoot deer with is shotgun!  Wish I could use my AR to hunt deer with.  What size upper did you use?  Standard 5.56?  Curious.

Also, any of you using wolf ammo that doesn't have the red sealants on them?  I hear they can cause build-up problems.   Another thread says Wolf isn't making that kind any more.  Of course, I've got plenty of it for my AK.  :)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wolf works GREAT in my M-16 at 100 rounds in 7 seconds. I love Wolf and Beta C mags. I NEVER fire ONE ROUND at a time. Every thing has it's place doesn't it. You guys are just using the wrong gun thats all.

Rats

Amen!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What state do you live in?  I live in Ohio and the only thing we can use to shoot deer with is shotgun!  Wish I could use my AR to hunt deer with.  What size upper did you use?  Standard 5.56?  Curious.

Also, any of you using wolf ammo that doesn't have the red sealants on them?  I hear they can cause build-up problems.   Another thread says Wolf isn't making that kind any more.  Of course, I've got plenty of it for my AK.  :)

The "other thread" is correct.  Wolf doesn't put red sealant on the bullet any longer.  They do use it on the primer pocket but that has never been a problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey, it went Bang didn't it...................
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I get minute of pizza box at 50 yards with Wolf 55 gr.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I get minute of pizza box at 50 yards with Wolf 55 gr. out of my Bushmaster.  Usually much better than that though.  Never shot it for accuracy, but I'd say prob. around 2-3" at 50 yds.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top