Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:18:44 AM EDT
Ok..... I have had for some time in my safe a NIB never fired Colt A2 HBAR 20" rifle (blue lable pre-ban date).
It has the large takedown pin in front and I have bought the detent/spring and pin for it and just never installed it.
So my question is what to do with it.....Sell, keep it NIB, or shoot the shit out of it.
I beleive the there are a few people in some states that would like to have a mint NIB pre-ban rifle.
What would you do?

Thanks for your input

G
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
either sell it or shoot the shit out of it.

eta: or trade it for a bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Send it to me and you don't have to make either of those tough decisions
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would keep it and shoot the crap out of it, but take good care of it nonetheless. I have made the mistake of selling an AR in the past and I will never do it again. You could sell it to finance another AR, but if you are like me you would end up missing the one you sold. I have a Colt HBAR like yours and I absolutely love it. Bought it new in '91. It would be the first rifle I would grab in times of trouble.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't modify it, just shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't modify it, just shoot it.

[b+1

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
sell it to me
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to range.  Shoot it.  Repeat as needed.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Or...............forget that you have it...........again.

I have a green label 6520...........unfired.............in my safe.

I will probably never fire it.   So what?  I paid for it.  I own it.  What I do with it is my call.  This is America.  Land of the Free.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#9]
.....If I were to sell this rifle what should it bring in todays market. I know it's not as much as it was when the ban was still in tact.
Thanks,

G
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]
A buddy of mine always taught me to NEVER sell a gun except in time of dire need for $$$.  Or unless it's a piece of worthless ****.

WHen I think back of all the guns I've sold over the years (and the prices I sold them for), I wish I had held on to it:  Colt SP1 sold for 375 in 1988, POlytech Chinese AK sold for 275 the year before, S&W 686 sold for 275 in 1997, and various M1 carbines, 870s, 10-22s, the list goes on.

Wish I still had them all.

Oh, and your Blue label?  It will be hard to replace that if you change your mind.

All this said with full knowledge of the Endowment Effect

But obviously the choice is yours!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine always taught me to NEVER sell a gun except in time of dire need for $$$.  Or unless it's a piece of worthless ****.

WHen I think back of all the guns I've sold over the years (and the prices I sold them for), I wish I had held on to it:  Colt SP1 sold for 375 in 1988, POlytech Chinese AK sold for 275 the year before, S&W 686 sold for 275 in 1997, and various M1 carbines, 870s, 10-22s, the list goes on.

Wish I still had them all.

Oh, and your Blue label?  It will be hard to replace that if you change your mind.

All this said with full knowledge of the Endowment Effect

But obviously the choice is yours!

Yep I know what your saying......I have owned many that I wish I had today. Like.....HK94,FNFAL,FNC para,Automag,many 1911's of various types and the list goes on.....

G

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ok..... I have had for some time in my safe a NIB never fired Colt A2 HBAR 20" rifle (blue lable pre-ban date).
It has the large takedown pin in front and I have bought the detent/spring and pin for it and just never installed it.
So my question is what to do with it.....Sell, keep it NIB, or shoot the shit out of it.
I beleive the there are a few people in some states that would like to have a mint NIB pre-ban rifle.
What would you do?

Thanks for your input

G

Are you sure that it has a large pivot pin? If the screw-type pivot pin only has a screw head on ONE side, then it is a SMALL pivot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
either sell it or shoot the shit out of it.

I agree. While any NIB Colt will have some collectors appeal, that one is probably towards the bottom of the list as it has many undesirable features. (Blue label meaning sear block and no bayo lug. Large takedown pin, HBAR).

As a shooter, it should be a fine weapon. so either shoot it or sell it to some one who will.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
You could come to a fair price and sell it to those that live in the states that are still under the ban. They would be happy and you can turn around and build or buy another Ar that will fill you bill.

Just a Idea
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
(Blue label meaning sear block and no bayo lug. Large takedown pin, HBAR).

The majority of Blue Labels have a sear block, no bayonet lug, small pivot pins, and large firecontrol pins.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(Blue label meaning sear block and no bayo lug. Large takedown pin, HBAR).

The majority of Blue Labels have a sear block, no bayonet lug, small pivot pins, and large firecontrol pins.

Yes but his obviously doesn't have the small pivot pin. Sorry is I worded that poorly. I didn't mean to imply that all blue labels have the large pivot pin.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Sell it and purchase a new production Colt LEO model with the funds. Let someone behind lines enjoy the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sell it and purchase a new production Colt LEO model with the funds. Let someone behind lines enjoy the rifle.

Yes sir that's the way I'm thinking.....

G
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Or...............forget that you have it...........again.

I have a green label 6520...........unfired.............in my safe.

I will probably never fire it.   So what?  I paid for it.  I own it.  What I do with it is my call.  This is America.  Land of the Free.

Sam

Land of the free because someone actually shot a rifle rather than keeping i warm and cozy in a dark gun safe.

Commander, sell it or shoot it. A Colt rifle cries when not being shot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top