Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2005 12:22:28 AM EDT
Okay, I live in Washington.  I've read over several laws, but I want to make sure I got em' all.  I know lots of people from this website are also from WA.  

I read you could buy silencers, but I never read a law saying you couldn't use one.  I don't understand why you could buy them but not use them, economy reasons?  Lame.  

Any other laws I should be aware of before purchasing my AR.  I believe when transporting it you must have the rifle and ammo seperate, with ammo in sealed container?  

So... this means I can't keep a loaded AR on or underneath my back seat?

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You can legally own a sound suppressor in washington state.  But you cant legally use one.  The law states, you shall not use any device and such, to lower the sound of the firearm.

It's also illegal, to have a "loaded" rifle/shotgun in your car.  What they consider "loaded" is, if there's a round in the chamber, or if a loaded magazine, is attached to the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
hmmm. Does "mounting" a silencer and never firing it constitute use (or intent)?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
hmmm. Does "mounting" a silencer and never firing it constitute use (or intent)?

use is considered when the sound of the gunfire has been decreased.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't a flash suppressor reduce sound?

So if I keep a magazine in my center console but store my AR under the backseat... would that be legal?
I already know once I turn 21 (now almost 19...) I can conceal carry a pistol.

I would like some kind of defense until then.  I currently carry a knife :/

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, if I bought a suppressor and owned it, which is legal, and stored it in my home...

Could I attach it for home defense?  Not going to the range or anything, but say I load up and safety up my AR and place it under the bed with the suppressor on.  Situations arise or whatever the case may be, and I have to use the rifle.  I would much rather have the suppressor on.  I know this sounds extreme as I'd wish to NEVER use a rifle against someone for defensive purposes, but I would much rather be prepared.  After all, I've had my cars broken into several times, even had someone secretly living in my camping trailer/rv which was parked in my DRIVEWAY.  Don't ask me how he did it... he was a sly one, had to chase him out with a tennis racket.  I also live in Pierce County - number one meth capital of the entire U.S.  Near Graham, a.k.a drug tweaker capital of the world.  Can't trust anybody....

If I used it, then removed it, would you think that would be wrong?  Never would have to say you used it... just would help from alerting too many people.  Course I'd call authorities anyways, but just for hearing protecting and for best interests of the neighbors, etc.  What about hunting?  You already cause a ruckus, but you don't want to scare all the game away for miles and miles.  Also if caught "using" it would it be a felony or misdemeanor?

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So if I keep a magazine in my center console but store my AR under the backseat... would that be legal?

Nikkels

Some claim to reduce sound.  Do they really, i dont know.  Yes, you can keep an AR in our car, as long as there isnt a loaded magazine in the magwell or a round in the chamber.  I wouldnt recommend it though.  What if somebody stole your car.

Quoted:
Also, if I bought a suppressor and owned it, which is legal, and stored it in my home...

Could I attach it for home defense?  Not going to the range or anything, but say I load up and safety up my AR and place it under the bed with the suppressor on.  Situations arise or whatever the case may be, and I have to use the rifle.  I would much rather have the suppressor on.  I know this sounds extreme as I'd wish to NEVER use a rifle against someone for defensive purposes, but I would much rather be prepared.  After all, I've had my cars broken into several times, even had someone secretly living in my camping trailer/rv which was parked in my DRIVEWAY.  Don't ask me how he did it... he was a sly one, had to chase him out with a tennis racket.  I also live in Pierce County - number one meth capital of the entire U.S.  Near Graham, a.k.a drug tweaker capital of the world.  Can't trust anybody....

If I used it, then removed it, would you think that would be wrong?  Never would have to say you used it... just would help from alerting too many people.  Course I'd call authorities anyways, but just for hearing protecting and for best interests of the neighbors, etc.  What about hunting?  You already cause a ruckus, but you don't want to scare all the game away for miles and miles.  Also if caught "using" it would it be a felony or misdemeanor?

Nikkels

I guess you have a hard time understanding the law.  You can NOT legally use it in Washington state.  Simple as that.  Doesnt matter how you try to justify it, it is ILLEGAL.  It is only a misdemeanor though i think, but dont take my word for it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I understand it, just trying to comprehend it from all angles.  Thanks for the input!

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nikkels

Just to clarify....you mean once you turn 21...you can obtain a CPL/CCW license which would allow you to carry a gun....concealed.  

Check packing.org for laws and info...it's a good source.  Also consider posting in the hometown forum...this will probably get more WA state specific feedback.  

Also I'd be careful about carrying a knife...check the laws out for this too...you don't want to be violating any blade length laws.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If I used it, then removed it, would you think that would be wrong?  Never would have to say you used it... just would help from alerting too many people.  Course I'd call authorities anyways, but just for hearing protecting and for best interests of the neighbors, etc.  What about hunting?   You already cause a ruckus, but you don't want to scare all the game away for miles and miles.  Also if caught "using" it would it be a felony or misdemeanor?

Nikkels

I don't know about using a suppressor in a defensive situation strictly for "hearing protection" or "best interests" of your neighbor.  I think this would just compound things when you had to explain it (although you did say you would remove it).  It's also quite considerate of you to be considering your neighbors...but if I was in a defensive situation that required my AR...I would think alerting your neighbors would be a good thing....

As for hunting...like others have said, it is illegal just to use the suppressor.  I wouldn't worry about scaring away all the game.  Hopefully, if you are hunting big game and you fire...you'll fill your tag right there.  Remember to check the laws on your mag size....I think it's a 5 rd cap in WA state.  

If you do get your suppressor...have fun and just remember to use it "quietly"....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top