Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2005 12:08:26 AM EDT
My first AR15 was a Bushmaster AR15 A3 with a removable carry handle. My 2nd was again a Bushmaster, but this time with an A2 type reciever.

I know that optics mounted on the top of the carry handle may not be the best place to set my Aimpoint, (It looks 'Old School', the Sight is really high off the reciever etc.) and I know a lot of people don't like that setup, But I've learned to appreciate it. I bought a see-thru type mount from A.R.M.S.  and after getting in some good range time with both, I've found the see-thru/Red Dot combo to be real convienient. Zeroing in the Aimpoint wasn't hard, and having the iron sights so readily available for longer shots is real nice.  I guess that's the whole thinking behind co-witnessing BUIS sights, but the clear unobstructed view of my stock irons sights is a big plus for me.

Not that this doesn't come with it's own bunch of drawbacks, balance being a BIG one. The AR feels top-heavy. Not a great deal, but it still does.  Of course after seeing all the super cool flat-top AR's here it also looks a little odd, but after a while, I got used to it.

I'm thinking about using an A2 reciever for my 7.5" barreled 8.5" Fake surpressored plinking gun project. I think it will help make the rifle appear to be shorter than it is. If I mounted a low profile sight setup on it, the rifle will have a sleek LONG look to it, something I'm trying to avoid.

Anyway, I just wanted to voice my opinion on the A2 reciever. Oh and one more thing: An A3 reciever with the carry handle mounted looks way more evil than an A2 reciever because the carry handle opening is so narrow in the removable handle. TOUGH!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I do like flat tops...give you more choices of optics and such.

But there is something about A2's....they have a place in my heart. I really want one. I will build one eventually.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet deal, glad you like the setup!  I've never really cared for them after A3's and such.

I just like the ability of being able to mount more, and have an overall more tactical and compact look to things.

A2's are oldschool though.  I definately bow my head and give props when I see one of those being used at the range.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my 20inch A2 colt
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both A2 's and A3's . Both rifles will Git-R-Done ! Shooters discretion my friend.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:08:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear you guys.

Don't get me wrong, I love the flat-tops too. (Enough to have 2) It's just that I got to REALLY liking the A2 setup the more I shot it. Besides, the only Aimpoint ML2 I own is mounted to the A2 upper, so that HAS to do something with it! LOL!

As for proper cheek weld while aiming the A2/ML2 set-up, well, I have a HUGE cranium so it's all good. One of the rare times having a gorilla's head has come in handy. LOL!

I admit, I would never mount an Eotech on the handle like that just because to me it would look odd...To me of course, no offense to anyone with that setup. So for that instance it is about fashion not function. But for the ML2 it looks fine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: Oh and one more thing: An A3 reciever with the carry handle mounted looks way more evil than an A2 reciever because the carry handle opening is so narrow in the removable handle. TOUGH!!!

Agreed!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Despite what everybody says around here, there is some merit to your set up. I have a 20" Bushmaster A2 with an Aimpoint M2 mounted on the carry handle and a Colt 6920 with the removable handle. I don't like the hight over bore of the Aimpoint and the "chin" weld, but for some shooting situations it works for me. I started shooting in some "Practical "rifle competitions about three years ago and the A2/combo has evolved into this configuration. I think an Acog on a flat top might be better for some of the longer shots, but since only the first few shots are fired from the 300 yard line, the Aimpoint is faster and good enough for center of mass shots. I like having the irons instantly accessable under the sight and not having the front sight tower obstruct my field of vision. Most of the shooting is done on the move, behind cover, or in a hasty situation and the hight of the Aimpoint is barely noticable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember, what works for you and what you like, is what you use, not some internet guy saying your rifle needs change.

If you like the A2, use the A2.
If you don't, don't.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
some day I will get a old school xm177 look alike , no scopes, red dots,ect, x 10 on it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top